What's new

Jazz select Udoka Azubuike with pick 27 & trade Tony Bradley + pick 38 to the Pistons

Udoka and Tony are vastly different players.
The the same type though... basic big. Alex Len and his 98 rating could come in for the minimum and provide what Udoka will. And honestly are we planning to slot Udoka in as a backup center from day one this year or will have to sign a vet... I mean this sounds familiar right? Passing on ready made wings to draft a third string center we develop to be a backup. You can make mistakes but when you make the same mistakes over and over you are incompetent.

Bradley is extremely soft. Udoka had the body and will to bang around. That in itself put him over how worthless TB was.

This FO is stuck in the 90s. We drafted a 90s center 3 years ago and now not only haven't we learned but we had to give up a good second rounder in order to dump the previous bust we drafted and replaced him with another traditional center whose ceiling is being 10 minutes sub for Rudy. Ridiculous. Oh and he shoots in the 30s from FT! Can he even play in the league with that type of FT shooting? He will get hacked all the time.

When the hell are we going to learn that using our best draft assets for backup bigs is not wise allocation of resources? This is so bad...

Bradley is extremely soft. Udoka had the body and will to bang around. That in itself put him over how worthless TB was.
So did Tillman... Bradley ducking sucks... it ain’t hard. Tillman can pass guard on the perimeter and dribble as a role man and make a decision or score. He’s shown some ability to shoot.

But ****ing DL and Quin with their rigid systems need a traditional drop big even though you still won’t want that guy on the floor in the playoffs. It’s a completely dumb use of a pick and a sign of the incompetence that is coming down the road.

Idgaf about continuity. Every other competitive team is making deals. Doesn’t matter if they won (lakers) or trying to move up (Dallas, Phoenix) or realized they ****ed up like we did (philly). This FO needs to either **** or get off the pot. So damned frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
They are ******** while getting off the pot. Bad combo.

This FO is stuck in the 90s. We drafted a 90s center 3 years ago and now not only haven't we learned but we had to give up a good second rounder in order to dump the previous bust we drafted and replaced him with another traditional center whose ceiling is being 10 minutes sub for Rudy. Ridiculous. Oh and he shoots in the 30s from FT! Can he even play in the league with that type of FT shooting? He will get hacked all the time.
And for all the douches that gonna say lols it’s just a late first... think how much better off we’d be right now had we picked Derrick White instead of Tony... or josh hart etc. that was an easy decision at the time and should be easier now... but we pass on Bane, Bey, Woodard... for a better version of Tony Bradley... great work guys!

it all makes sense now... we need a pg even though our best perimeter player is 6-1 and our two guard is an elite passer... GO OVERPAY FOR MIKE CONLEY HES MIKE EFFING CONLEY.

DL is a basic bitch... he ain’t no visionary.

i can't think of many centers who had zero modern day offense being valued in today's nba. Rudy, Allen, Capela, and Drummond are the only ones i can think of. but even Capela and Drummond are being shopped around as no teams wanted them.

Man, y'all need to chill about this Jazz draft. Even if everything clicked for the Jazz in a very positive way this season, we're still a 2nd rd team at best in the playoffs. Chill and relax~ lol

Sounds like the front office loved this guy so I'll give it a chance. I'm assuming they like his athleticism and the fact he can play defense.

If we move Rudy it will make more sense.
Okay but this organization sucks at the draft so maybe you shouldn't.

We have ZERO players on the roster that we actually drafted, and two we traded for on draft night. If the Nuggets didn't gift us those guys we'd be the ****ing Kings right now.

Thoroughly and horrifically underwhelming.

Here's a quick peek at where the two former Jayhawks were projected to go from the latest batch of mock drafts:

The Athletic

Azubuike: No. 43 to Sacramento

Dotson: No. 33 to Minnesota

ESPN.com

Azubuike: No. 41 to San Antonio

Dotson: No. 44 to Chicago

Yahoo Sports

Azubuike: No. 37 to Washington

Dotson: No. 33 to Minnesota

CBS Sports

Azubuike: No. 45 to Orlando

Dotson: No. 54 to Indiana

NBADraft.net

Azubuike: No. 43 to Sacramento

Dotson: No. 35 to Sacramento

"The KU coach noted Azubuike’s recent 37-inch vertical jump, which was the highest by a center ever measured at the pre-draft combine, and Dotson’s three-quarter court sprint time that was the second fastest of the past decade.

“And we've been telling everybody forever that Dok’s as athletic as anybody we've had here period. And I don't think people ever bought into it.”

“I don't think that gets them drafted necessarily a lot higher,” Self added. “But I do think it makes them more attractive. (If a team has it) down to one or two guys, they may go with that athletic ability. So I'm excited for both of them. I think they both help themselves during this COVID time.”

Regardless of where the two Jayhawks are selected, Self said their chances at NBA success will come down to how well they fit the situation and how willing they are to accept roles that are vastly different from the ones they played at KU.

“Being very realistic, if they could both be backups, that would be an unbelievable role for both of them going into a rookie campaign,” Self said. “They're going to have to learn to play with others and make others better and (blend) in and those sorts of things.”

Ya, no bueno

So I just wanted to come back to a point that I think is very important:

We do not have the luxury of pissing away draft picks. And save for Donovan and Rudy - who we didn't even technically draft - that's all we've done for the past ten years. We would be the Kings if the Nuggets didn't **** those up.

This is also the first test of new ownership and it looks bad.