What's new

Jazz Sign Ekpe Udoh

Last year Favors was more of a backup center than PF and we just brought over the most decorated Euroleague center....

So let's say no trade happens. How many minutes does Favors get with Quin? Maybe 20 at most?

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Why? I don't get it... this is the same thing we went through with Lyles. Those are not players that can replace or even approach the level required to replace Favors.

The trade would likely be for somebody who replaces Favors. We're signing a bunch of backups. And truly, last year, Favors played like a backup.

But maybe DL is trying to have the worst locker room thing happen: a team with a bunch of good vets so a few get inevitably pissed when they aren't getting minutes.

Why is Udoh, a guy who was having a fantastic career, agreeing to sign with Utah if Favors is going to get the majority of backup center minutes?

Because, despite the current truisms, Favors is our starting PF and will play 28-30 minutes, and we don't have a backup center.

I would lean against there being a big trade.

The one thing I truly hope we don't do is clear Ryan Anderson's contract off of HOU's books. What a disaster this would be. That should require at least 2 firsts and a 1 pick swap. I wouldn't mind the Love versions of this trade but Anderson is a horrific contract.

The one thing I truly hope we don't do is clear Ryan Anderson's contract off of HOU's books. What a disaster this would be. That should require at least 2 firsts and a 1 pick swap. I wouldn't mind the Love versions of this trade but Anderson is a horrific contract.
I don't think we will. Every contract we have signed has been 2 year deals and I think there is a reason for that.

Jazz want to make a run at Klay Thompson.

Because, despite the current truisms, Favors is our starting PF and will play 28-30 minutes, and we don't have a backup center.

I would lean against there being a big trade.
So Snyder, a guy who didn't like playing Favors/Gobert together even when Favors was playing well, is going to change course now that Hayward is gone and lean on Favors?

I just highly doubt that.

Not saying we should do this but I could see JJ being traded to a contender and opting out of Diaw.

We could then still start Favors and have the stretch 4's play a semi-major role with Jerebko as the primary guy in that spot with Ingles and Sefalosha filling in as well here or there. Favors and Udoh could share backup 5 time.

A trade has to be coming in the next few days I would assume.

Gobert/Udoh/Bradley
Favors/Joe Jesus/Jerebko/Bolomboy
Jingles/Sefolosha
Hood/Mitchell/Burks
Rubio/Exum

That's 14.

I expect Neto to be back. That's 15.
I expect them to keep NWG. That's 16.
They have interest in Eric Griffin. That's 17. But Griffin seems redundant with Jerebko and Bolomboy on the roster.

Overall the roster is feeling exceptionally crowded right now.
You mean NWG on a 2 way? No way in hell is he on the main team lmao.

Wow wow wow. I'm so excited. He's the best player in Europe now, also highest paid.
I know him well because he plays for my team and the arena is five minutes walk away from my house!

I'm shocked if it's $6.5/2 years. He was making much more here.
I'm so happy and sad at the same time. He's so much loved in Istanbul, such a quality dude on and off the court.
Yeah, this is what tells me Favors is done.

I can't help but feel it's being an uninspiring free agency. It's not that Thabo, Jerebko or Udoh are bad players, it's just that none of them is much of an improvement in the 2 main areas of need -outside shooting and overall scoring- which will hurt the Jazz over the course of the season.

Since they didn't sign other cheap options like Rudy Gay or Pat Pat, I would've liked to see that at least one of those moves was to bring somebody like Mirotic who can add more offensively and would benefit a lot in a more stable situation, or take a flyer on an undrafted prospect with some upside without committing any more salary for 2018.

PS: Hate this nonsense about every single guy coming over from Europe being labeled an "Euroleague Superstar". Udoh has had a very good couple of years in Turkey, but he's no more of a superstar in Europe than DeAndre Jordan is in the US, and that's being generous.
Well Jerebko is well above average for his position at shooting, so that is an improvement.

Lol at people thinking there is going to be a trade or won't get playing time. We have 3 super Injury prone players, trust me, they'll get playing time.

Can someone tell me how good the Euroleague is? I'm watching his final four highlights and to me it looks like he's dominating a bunch of scrubs. Is Euroleague as good as the Gleague? Is this where Ante Tomic plays?

Sorry, I'm mostly clueless when it comes to European basketball.

He looks good in the videos, but Mo Almond looked good in the Dleague.

Can someone tell me how good the Euroleague is? I'm watching his final four highlights and to me it looks like he's dominating a bunch of scrubs. Is Euroleague as good as the Gleague? Is this where Ante Tomic plays?

If GLeague becomes a full scale league, Euroleague will loose a lot of players.

How many teams fill out the roster with this many vets? It just doesn't happen. Most teams last 3 guys are either super over the hill guys who are just happy to still be cashing nba nba checks or young projects who are happy to get garbage minutes and be on a nba team.

Wow wow wow. I'm so excited. He's the best player in Europe now, also highest paid.
I know him well because he plays for my team and the arena is five minutes walk away from my house!

I'm shocked if it's $6.5/2 years. He was making much more here.
I'm so happy and sad at the same time. He's so much loved in Istanbul, such a quality dude on and off the court.

This gets me excited. Thanks.

Euroleague is the collection of best teams of all countries in Europe. The final 4 is the best 4 teams in Europe. This is the best competition you can find anywhere in the world outside of the NBA. Those teams will annihilate anything in the GLeague IMO. Some players that were in the final 4 this season:

Milos Teodosic - signed with the Clippers this summer
Nando DeColo - Spurs draft pick. He's one of the best guards in Europe right now. He plays ahead of Milos Teodosic for CSKA.
Luka Doncic - next year's potential no. 1 pick in the draft(he was starting for Real as a 17 year old and was one of the best players for his team)
Rudy Fernandez
Sergio Lull
Pero Antic - had several years with the Hawks
Jan Vesely - he's reinvented his game and is now playing an athletic big in Europe, instead of the 3 they were trying to make him in Washington
Bogdan Bogdanovic - he was just signed by the Kings to the biggest rookie contract in history 3/36
Anthony Randolph...

Out of all the new signings this is actually the one that makes the most sense to me. As many has said here before, Favors is not guaranteed to be healthy and this allows Tony Bradley to go to the G-League and hone his skills (something Gobert did for a while too when he was a rookie IIRC).

Most importantly (for me), he is an insurance policy if Gobert goes down (knock wood) in case we want to skip a year and dip into lottery to pick up another talent to reload. (ala the Spurs when Robinson went down for the whole season and picked up Tim Duncan with the #1 pick).

For what we got him for and in terms of fit and where our team is, this is actually the perfect signing.