What's new

Jazz Sign Royce O'Neale

Bizarre. He was very minimally-skilled from what I recall of watching him at Baylor. There is no doubt this dude can be good if he learns how to shoot and dribble, and lifts some weights, but that's a lot to ask, and it's a long process. If true, this must be a signing purely based on the hopes of developing this guy into a capable NBA wing. Also, they must be encouraged by whatever he's done the last couple years.

Mostly, he attended Baylor for a while, so... welcome to the Jazz

I think that's our new Ingles-like project. He exhibits some of those traits - he was above 40% shooter in college(but hasn't shot well in Spain), he can pass the ball(over 3 asists a game in Baylor, over 2 assists in 20mpg in Spain). He also has the size and length(6'6" wing with 6'10" wingspan). I cannot talk intelligently about his game though since I haven't seen it.

He was due to play in Lithuania this season. One of the poorer Euroleague teams though. Almost sure to win Lithuanian league though. At least for them if true happened relatively early so they can get someone else.

I'd imagine this is one of those wink-wink deals where he gets guaranteed money, we cut him after camp and he signs with the Stars.

That may very well be the case. He opts out of his Euro deal. Comes to camp. Gets cut. Keeps the guaranteed money and signs a G league 2 way deal with the Stars. I'm still hoping that Eric Griffin gets a deal with the Jazz and Bolomboy ends up in the G league.

This is odd... one of the dudes in jazz management convinced me that Bolomboy making the roster wasn't even a question. If true we'd have time to sort out a roster spot through trade, but it could be one of those stars deals and we are reading too much into it. I'm sure we would not just release Neto... he seems to be close to Rudy and is great in his current role.

That may very well be the case. He opts out of his Euro deal. Comes to camp. Gets cut. Keeps the guaranteed money and signs a G league 2 way deal with the Stars. I'm still hoping that Eric Griffin gets a deal with the Jazz and Bolomboy ends up in the G league.

It's interesting that he's signed with the team that Brock Motum and Oliver Hanlan played for. I think Motum has signed with a Turkish team this season. I'm wondering if this means Burks and someone else could be on the move in a 2-1 trade.

It's interesting that he's signed with the team that Brock Motum and Oliver Hanlan played for. I think Motum has signed with a Turkish team this season. I'm wondering if this means Burks and someone else could be on the move in a 2-1 trade.

Zalgiris has also signed Brandon Davies for the upcoming season. Another Utah connection.

Yeah, but the guaranteed money you get is not added on if you sign a 2-way. I think all training camp invites are guaranteed 50K then you get cut if you sign the 2-way deal you can earn up to 275K if you spend 45 days with the NBA team, but it's not added onto the 50K you already got.

Yeah, but the guaranteed money you get is not added on if you sign a 2-way. I think all training camp invites are guaranteed 50K then you get cut if you sign the 2-way deal you can earn up to 275K if you spend 45 days with the NBA team, but it's not added onto the 50K you already got.

My guess is that the Jazz signed him to the 3 year deal with the first year guaranteed like a signing bonus. He should get to keep that even if they cut him and sign him to a new two year two way contract for the maximum amount of that contract, correct?

My guess is that the Jazz signed him to the 3 year deal with the first year guaranteed like a signing bonus. He should get to keep that even if they cut him and sign him to a new two year two way contract for the maximum amount of that contract, correct?

I highly doubt that. That's a ton of money to pay to someone as a signing bonus. I don't even know if that is allowed.

But I guess you could be right and it could just be an extremely extravagant signing bonus to get on a 2-way contract.

I just find it hard to believe they cut Neto. Bolomboy makes much more sense as the center position is stacked for the next 4 years.

Yeah, I think it will be between Neto, Bolomboy and O'Neale for who gets cut after training camp.

DL hasn't really been very successful with these cheap signings has he?!?!

Ingles? Chris Johnson? Withey? Elijah Millsap? He's been alright. I don't think you can expect much more than that. If you get an Ingles level player out of the scrap heap, you are doing pretty well.

Yeah, I think it will be between Neto, Bolomboy and O'Neale for who gets cut after training camp.

I dont think Royce gets cut. I asked the D-League expert guy on twitter about it and he said the most a player can make after getting cut on a 2-way is 50K, so they couldn't guarantee him the rookie minimum, cut him, and sign him to a 2-way.