What's new

Jazz Sign Royce O'Neale

This makes sense because the Jazz roster only had 2 SF's (Ingles and Sefolosha). Adding a 3rd on a team friendly flexible deal makes sense. Just surprised it's O'Neale after having a lackluster SL. It's not like he blew that pants off anyone. He seems long and athletic though, so I guess it's worth the roster spot.

Yeah. $815,615 is the minimum salary. It seems like it would be a lot to pay out just to keep a guy around in the G-League. For arguments sake, let's say that they did it exactly as I mapped it out.

$815,615 + $275,000 + $275,000 = $1,365,615 for two years in the G-league ($682,807 per year) at the cost of the $815,615 against this year's salary cap.

As long as you're willing to pay that amount, it would be a smart way to keep a developmental player in your program for two years and then have his RFA rights after that. Isn't that exactly the kind of forward thinking the Jazz need as a small market organization to get an edge on the competition?

According to the guy who runs the most comprehensive G-League site that isn't a thing that can happen.

According to the guy who runs the most comprehensive G-League site that isn't a thing that can happen.

Yeah. Just saw that and edited my post. Good homework there Cy. Too bad this isn't allowed, because it would be a solid strategy for teams to lock up young, end of the roster talent and would make the G-league even more competitive and viable.

This makes sense because the Jazz roster only had 2 SF's (Ingles and Sefolosha). Adding a 3rd on a team friendly flexible deal makes sense. Just surprised it's O'Neale after having a lackluster SL. It's not like he blew that pants off anyone. He seems long and athletic though, so I guess it's worth the roster spot.

He is long and athletic if nothing else. I confused Taurean Prince with him all the time while he was at Baylor. They were very similar players until Prince had dramatic skill improvements going into his last two seasons at Baylor.

Ingles? Chris Johnson? Withey? Elijah Millsap? He's been alright. I don't think you can expect much more than that. If you get an Ingles level player out of the scrap heap, you are doing pretty well.

But don't you also have to count guys like Pleiss, Tourey Murray (or however he spell it), that guy we got from the OKC trade, all the trash late 2nd round point guard picks, etc?

He picked Gobert out of thin air I give him that, but with every 1 home run there's been like 5-6 absolute duds.

But don't you also have to count guys like Pleiss, Tourey Murray (or however he spell it), that guy we got from the OKC trade, all the trash late 2nd round point guard picks, etc?

He picked Gobert out of thin air I give him that, but with every 1 home run there's been like 5-6 absolute duds.

No, just Pleiss and Ingles. Murray and those other dudes were non-guaranteed and they were never kept on for more than a year.

Only Ingles and Pleiss actually got guaranteed contracts.

I'm not understanding what you expect?

Those guys are roster fillers. Don't expect them to be anything good. DL has done a very good job at finding "gems".

I'm not understanding what you expect?

Those guys are roster fillers. Don't expect them to be anything good. DL has done a very good job at finding "gems".

Pretty much this. FOr the most part DL takes shots and cuts bait when the players don't show promise. He's been pretty good at it. You cannot expect most of those to pan out, there is a reason why they are at the margins of the league. His Pleiss fail was not good indeed. But he's gotten some good value out of minimum contracts coming from the scrap heap.