What's new

Jazz still not watching film together

....I was just talkin to one of my buddies in Pittsburgh and he said there wasn't ANY sports on t.v. whatsoever tonight. I told him we'd be getting the Atlanta Hawks game on locally here in S.C. He then said: "That's what I just said....there ain't ANY sports on t.v. tonight at all!"

jerry.jpg

...CLASSICS! Absolute CLASSICS! Can't believe I didn't find those before my main man hopper posted them! Where did you get those bad boys from, anyway???

Bobby, he ROCKS, eh, CJ!? His quotes are all over the net, but I happened to git them two richeea: https://www.best-basketball-tips.com/bobby-knight-quotes.html

True tale: Sloan's son, Brian, played for Knight, and was a co-captain on a championship team in 1987. Ole Jer never got the least bit involved in his son's recruitin, just told him to do whatever felt right for him--and he took Knight.

His son later said that playin for Knight for 5 years (one redshirt) were the hardest of his life, but the ones where he learned and grew the most.

Some good Sloan tales at that there site, for them of yawl what aint looked, such as:

During Jerry’s fourth year in Chicago, the Bulls were fighting to keep their season alive and had to win four out of five games in five nights to make the Playoffs. They won their first three games, but Jerry broke two ribs and separated his sternum when Lew Alcindor [i.e. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar] knocked him down with just seconds to go in the third game....

The next day I went to the arena, and Sloan was there. He said, ‘I couldn’t sleep. I’ve been walking around. I’ve found this little corset thing. Let me warm up.’ “I said, ‘No, I’m not gonna let you,’” Motta recalled. “He said, ‘Coach, you gotta let me warm up.’ So he warmed up … Later…he came up to me and said, ‘You know I’ve never asked you to do one thing. I’ve never told you to do one thing. I’m gonna ask one favor now.’

“I said, ‘What’s that, Jerry?’

“He said, ‘If I were you, I’d start me.’

“I started him,” Motta said, “and he couldn’t raise his arm. Chet Walker and I had to stretch the uniform to get him in it. His ribs were broken, but he just wouldn’t quit....

“The pain was so excruciating that he was incoherent,” Motta said. “He was going on an empty tank. We won the game in overtime, and made the playoffs. I was able to rest Jerry the last game, and he played in the playoffs.”

For them what aint never had no broke rib, ask anybuddy who has. Probably the most painful injury there is.

Last edited:
....I was just talkin to one of my buddies in Pittsburgh and he said there wasn't ANY sports on t.v. whatsoever tonight. I told him we'd be getting the Atlanta Hawks game on locally here in S.C. He then said: "That's what I just said....there ain't ANY sports on t.v. tonight at all!"

....I'm watching some of this UNWATCHABLE game....and the shot selection is so unbelievable poor, I just about puked up my supper....and have decided to switch back and forth from the Weather Channel and reruns of the "Repo Man!"

The Hawks used to be one of my favorite teams back in the day. But since the Joe Johnson era started there they have been complete garbage to try to watch. Talented as hell with no direction at all. "Iso Joe." no really that is the name of one of there plays. And they run it all the time.

Phil Jackson in s coach that is all about what's going on in the players heads. A cerebral coach like that loves going over film. It's just not COY's style.

Phil has a bunch of guys with older bodies and he likes to spend practice time with less intense workouts.

COY is Old School. When the season is on, there isn't much time for practice. He has usually had the guys either take days off or go through a full practice. I would imagine that watching tape as a team wasn't much of a priority.

In Football, you have a week to prepare for each game. They watch a lot of tape. In the NBA you don't have that luxury.

All that being said, I can only imagine that time spent watching tape is productive, especially when your star player requests it.

COY has shown in recent years that he is willing to make changes. He's been playing rookies and letting the team wear black socks, etc . . . this is just another development.