What's new

Jazz still not watching film together

That's so NOT a relevant parallel, it almost seems like you're parodying bad analogies.

But as ridiculous as your example is, I'll bite anyway: A better analogy would be teaching style. I've had great teachers who ran intensive, interactive class discussions, and I've had terrible teachers who did the same. I've had terrible teachers who just stood up there and lectured the whole time, and I've had great teachers who did the same. I've had teachers who have required tons of reading and writing, and other teachers - in similar classes - who have required less reading and less writing, but spent more time on each assignment. There are benefits to both. I've had great teachers who used a lot of visual aides and great teachers who didn't. There is not necessarily one right answer. Teachers teach differently; coaches coach differently - and that applies at every level of their teaching/coaching.
I've clarified my analogy above. What still does hold from my analogy is this: that more interaction with the instructor is better. There's probably a limit to this, too, but too much instruction doesn't seem to be the problem with this Jazz team. They're apparently not watching film together at all.

Disagreeing with tactics is fine. Not knowing anything about something and then disagreeing with those tactics is....well, it's just irrelevant.
Um, this is a message board, and most of us are operating from limited information of what goes on behind the scenes, including you. In this case, though, both players and coach pretty much acknowledged that not much film watching as a team is going on, so we have that info on pretty good sources.

Not once on this board has anyone come up with any kind of legitimate analysis/argument about the benefits of individual film study vs. the benefits of team film study. Common sense says there are benefits to both, and apparently Sloan in general prefers the former. He likes the results he's gotten, I guess.
The past two games are not satisfactory results IMHO, and the situation has changed, and several posters including myself are opining on a change, probably based on "common sense" (your words) that more instruction from teachers (e.g., coaches) is better than less. With my hangups with Sloan, even I acknowledge that.

(Considering that coaches across the league consider his staff as one of the best - if not the best - at pure teaching, I would have to assume his behind-the-scenes tactics have, in fact, worked quite well. But, as I've said, I don't really have any expertise in that area, so for all I know Sloan and Co. may legitimately be missing out on something here.)
You're playing the authority card here again; that's why I brought up the Richard Nixon example. There are plenty more where that came from. Just because a person has the power or experience doesn't mean that they do things correctly. And our ability to praise and criticize people in power (such as Sloan) is a rather fundamental tenet of our society

But no, instead of any concrete arguments - nor, more importantly, any acknowledgment that preparation tactics (what works, what doesn't, and why, and how) are a subject of which we have a limited understanding - we get stuff like, "God, what an idiot! EVERYONE knows you have to study film as a team! Gaaah!"
Actually, I gave several citations of how Kobe and Phil Jackson do bring the team together to watch game film, and I also cited football as another example where game film is crucial, so your broad-sweeping claim of no concrete arguments is bunk, especially that you have brought no outside examples to the table where teams have been more successful not watching game film than if they did.

Oh, you mean except for the part where this week he said he WOULD consider it, and that a team film session was planned for Friday? Except for that, you mean?
I wasn't aware of that comment by Sloan. "Consider it" is pretty weak. It should've been in place already. Let's see if Sloan remedies it. I support Deron in being an impetus behind making it happen, but players shouldn't have to catalyze such changes any more than students and manager should have to catalyze changes in teaching or leading, respectively.

This floored me, I've gotta admit. An arbitrary Richard Nixon reference gratuitously thrown in. I love it. With that line, this officially became my favorite post of the week. I don't even know you and I can already tell that your friends secretly hate you. A Nixon reference? Really? Who does that?
I do. Would you like more? It's not hard to find examples of leaders who consciously or unconsciously misuse power. In this case, the misuse is somewhat innocuous, because it's just a game, but my criticism of Sloan started with horrendous substitution patterns years ago and continued with poor communication with players who aren't already self-motivated. Such Sloan behavior continues today.

Anyway, I didn't say that experience in and of itself equates correctness, and I made the point that I have no problem with fans - especially knowledgeable fans, and there are plenty of knowledgeable Jazz fans - criticizing a coach or player or anything, and that sometimes they're absolutely right. What I have a problem with is the absurdly simplistic way people were reacting to something that they really don't understand at all - behind-the-scenes preparation is one of the things we know about LEAST, and yet people were acting as if it was common knowledge that This Is The Way You Do It.
Um, many people on this board have experience and training in managing groups or organizations, and many such concepts are tranferrable to professional basketball. In any case, this is a message board where opinions are expressed.

I'm sure if you go to the coaches around the league, you'll find plenty of differentiation in a lot of different areas - for instance, there have been coaches (i.e. Riley) who have long, brutal, intense practices on a regular basis. And there are those who prefer to run lighter practices. There are arguments and counter-arguments for both. But both styles have been successful. That's just one example, but I'm sure there are plenty of others.
Yes, and that's why I'm posing one set of arguments, stemmed from the information available.

And anyway, I never said that I thought Sloan was correct - I said it's in an area so obscured to those of us who are merely fans, that having an authoritative view of what Sloan "should" do about film study in order to correctly do his job is delusional at best, if not plain idiotic.
Welcome to JazzFanz. If you can't hack it, then you can remain . . . anonymous.

Why the heck weren't they watching film in the first place?

Gawd.

Glad Sloan and the gang are going to get together and start watching film. Pretty crucial I'd think.

I'm having a tough time believing there's any argument here, even though some people are going a little overboard.

So let me ask the apologists a few things. Did basketball become an individual sport? Are players supposed to intrinsically know how to best implement team strategy or how others are supposed to or likely react on a play? Is spending 15 minutes on team film session really that costly to other parts of practice?

It seems pretty elementary. I'm not asking Sloan to pour over game film, but going over film as a team for a matter of minutes isn't asking much and relative to not doing it at all, could reap significant benefits. Especially for a team that isn't fluid or comfortable with how the sets are designed to be run.

With the bargaining agreement, the practice time is limited. Would this film time be coming during practice time? Is that the best use of practice time? Can players be mandated to watch film out of practice time? I know Williams is a passionate, dedicated player who I suspect doesn't care about the restrictions of the labor agreement, but team management is required to care about these issues.

...please tell me your joking?!!! These guys make $100.000 plus PER GAME....and they have practice restrictions mandated by the Union? And some of these restrictions involve limiting the time they can spend watching game film?

I'm having a tough time believing there's any argument here, even though some people are going a little overboard.

So let me ask the apologists a few things. Did basketball become an individual sport? Are players supposed to intrinsically know how to best implement team strategy or how others are supposed to or likely react on a play? Is spending 15 minutes on team film session really that costly to other parts of practice?

It seems pretty elementary. I'm not asking Sloan to pour over game film, but going over film as a team for a matter of minutes isn't asking much and relative to not doing it at all, could reap significant benefits. Especially for a team that isn't fluid or comfortable with how the sets are designed to be run.

As an apologist and hence one who is like-minded, i can imagine Sloan saying "YOu need film to understand that the other team is simply kickin' your ****???" Whether that is correct postion to take is debatable, but that is how i feel. If this was a seven game series and the subtlties are makeing the difference, then break out the DVD player. I've played plenty of basketball and never watched film and could very easily make an assessment of the problems we've witnessed thus far -without the film study method.

There is no need for video analysis to find out if the Suns are going to run down the court after MADE baskets. There's no need for video analysis for AJ to choose to pass it out of a 1 on 4 situation rather than shoot. There's no need for video analysis to see that most of the players are not moving HARD on offense.

I'm guessing sloan and coaches outlined the sitations and then said - "go watch the DVD on the way home and you'll see what we are referring to."

So does anyone think that a team session would be significantly better. I don't. Not at this stage for certain.

Obviously the players don't care that much or they would have been getting together for the past 4 seasons to do this. They're grown ups and can work on their games outside of practice. They have each others phone numbers and they all have access to all the game film.

My guy friends and I get together and watch "film" together all the time. I don't know what these guys have against it!

What exactly is preventing Deron from getting his team together and watching film?

Sounds to me like Deron is trying to shift the focus from his hellishly awful play while also throwing his coach under the bus.

Deron also acted in that interview as if no one cares about his opinion. Outside of Stockton and Malone, has there ever been a player that has possessed so much power? In fact, I think one could argue that with the passing of Larry H Miller and Jerry Sloan's age and the lack of any other superstar on this team, Deron might possibly be the strongest figure in the entire franchise right now. I'm pretty sure that if Deron offered any constructive suggestions or ideas, they'd be immediately considered.

All well...

...please tell me your joking?!!! These guys make $100.000 plus PER GAME....and they have practice restrictions mandated by the Union? And some of these restrictions involve limiting the time they can spend watching game film?
There's only so much time a coach or staff can spend with the team, I know I've read Sloan has short but very intense practices however so I'm not totally sure what to think of the situation. If I HAD to guess I would say Sloan knows they're provided all the film and expects them to watch it on their own for the most part and probably does only a little team film study and expects his team leader(s) to figure out and keep the weakest link(s) up to par so if that means team study then they can set that up (like DWill did with Big Al).

Also he may expect the players to come to him personally (this has been brought up in the past) if they have any problems or questions or changes.

*edit I also agree with the previous 3 posts that where made while I was slowly typing mine out at work*

Last edited:
I heard that Sloan wanted to watch game film as a team but found that someone had taken the TV out of the team room and replaced it with an empty black picture frame. When Corbin explained to Jerry that it was the new TV, called a flat panel, Jerry wouldn't believe him because there was no VCR attached. Finally Jerry said" forget it, let them watch thier own film"!

On a serious note, Locke said that jazz staff hand out copies of every game on DVD for players to watch on their laptops.

There's only so much time a coach or staff can spend with the team, I know I've read Sloan has short but very intense practices however so I'm not totally sure what to think of the situation. If I HAD to guess I would say Sloan knows they're provided all the film and expects them to watch it on their own for the most part and probably does only a little team film study and expects his team leader(s) to figure out and keep the weakest link(s) up to par so if that means team study then they can set that up (like DWill did with Big Al).
Again, handing players DVDs for individual study and going over film as a team (or one-on-on) are different things. Ideally, both occur, and the latter hasn't been occurring. Even if the players watched the video with great focus, it's reasonable to think that the coaches would provide some insight that a millionaire twentysomething pro basketball player who hasn't graduated from college might overlook. Phil Jackson surely thought so.

Also he may expect the players to come to him personally (this has been brought up in the past) if they have any problems or questions or changes.
LOL. Leaders and managers (including coaches) shouldn't use "well, my people didn't tell me that we should be doing this" as an excuse for not doing something.

And maybe Jerry has said that players can approach him, but ask Kirilenko how easy it is to approach Coach. Better yet, ask Amaechi (whom Sloan called a discriminatory slur) or Fesenko (who was benched for no reason, even after showing signs of promise) or even Deron (who, by the cryptic responses in yesterday morning's interview, evidently did talk to somebody about it, and didn't get a favorable response).

It's not the responsibility of players to initiate changes in strategy. That's the leaders' job. If the underlings suggest something, great. Optimization should be a constant focus of leaders, including a coaching staff. I don't see it here.

...what good is handing a player a dvd of the game and telling him to watch it and improve? Has it occurred to SLoan and the coaching staff that maybe these clowns don't know what they are doing wrong or how to correct it? Things need to be pointed out and HOW to correct the problem needs to be addressed! Allen Iverson doesn't know he forcing a shot just by looking at the film! He probably thinks it was a decent shot! "I beez made them before.....I can make that shot again, coach!"

So it's just as good or better for a team watching film and going over strategy/theory to not have the head coach present?

I have no idea if watching game film is vital to a team's improvements - all I know is that I learn much more by doing than by watching. It seems to me that spending practice time playing and receiving hands-on instruction is likely to be more beneficial than watching film. Many of the previous comments make it sound like Sloan isn't spending any time teaching the team and especially the new players. I'll bet they learn much more by running plays than by watching plays. Watching film may provide some benefit, but probably not more than other types of instruction. Just my opinion.

I have no idea if watching game film is vital to a team's improvements - all I know is that I learn much more by doing than by watching. It seems to me that spending practice time playing and receiving hands-on instruction is likely to be more beneficial than watching film. Many of the previous comments make it sound like Sloan isn't spending any time teaching the team and especially the new players. I'll bet they learn much more by running plays than by watching plays. Watching film may provide some benefit, but probably not more than other types of instruction. Just my opinion.

You need both.

You cant tell what you've been doing wrong until you see yourself do it.

I think the film sesh really helped. Deron agrees.

New perspective after Friday's practice:

Yeah. Yesterday was good. We worked a lot on our offense, going through that. We looked at some film, which definitely helps. It always helps to see yourself on film, I think. See the mistakes you're making individually. Guys can watch and see what they're doing and where they're making mistakes at and see it, because film does a lot. It's there.

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/jazznotes/50572569-62/lot-situation-definitely-film.html.csp

According to your blog, you are a teacher, so I'd be surprised that you'd argue that independent study in whatever form is better assistance by a teacher, with or without independent study.

As a teacher, I can tell you that one of keys to success is when a student works on the assignments outside class and comesp repared with questions. If I do every problem on the chalkboard, 80% of the class will be bored at any time. If I allow students to bring up what they struggled with (much like an NBA player might ask a coach where he should have gone on a certain play, or how he got beaten on defense), the class time is much more effective. Most of the time, having the team watch Jefferson do this or Williams do that in a film session means 8-10 players gain little benefit from what is on thescreen at any given moment.

There might be NBA limits to how much time coaches can spend with players practicing or training. My argument is that whatever time constraint there is, it might be good--at least temporarily--to reallocate some of that time toward watching film.

The best teachers respond to the way students need to learn, and if Williams learns best by watching some film, then I agree filling in some down time in practice with film, a few minutes at a time, is helpful. I think Friday, right after a back-to-back when practice was going to be light anyhow, was probably the right time. When the team has been playing well, Sloan has been known to give a day off instead.

In other words, it's feasible for a coach to lead a film discussion. Let one or more of the assistant coaches do it, Jerry, if you prefer. Just don't put it all on the players. Most of them didn't even graduate from college, so they are not necessarily students of anything.

If they are going to be professional baskeball players, they need to be students of the game.

Phil Jackson is a master strategist. It's no wonder his teams always do well. For example, when the opposing team scores 2-3 baskets in a row, PJ automatically calls a timeout.

Even in the limted number of games I watch, I know that's not true. Jackson will call a timeout if the team is not executing the game plan and things are going badly (as does Sloan), but he will sometimes just sit on the bench and let the players respond when the other team starts a run.

So let me ask the apologists a few things. Did basketball become an individual sport?

No.

Are players supposed to intrinsically know how to best implement team strategy or how others are supposed to or likely react on a play?

My guess would be that this goal is best served by actually running plays in practice, not by watching them.

Is spending 15 minutes on team film session really that costly to other parts of practice?

Is it really that beneficial? More specifically, is it really more beneficial than running plays?

...please tell me your joking?!!! These guys make $100.000 plus PER GAME....

Most players make well under that amount.

and they have practice restrictions mandated by the Union?

Yes.

And some of these restrictions involve limiting the time they can spend watching game film?

No.

Things need to be pointed out and HOW to correct the problem needs to be addressed!

What makes you think this isn't on the DVDs handed out to the team already?

So it's just as good or better for a team watching film and going over strategy/theory to not have the head coach present?

It's better than not going over film at all. Although, I would say the disagreement is over whether it is better to runs the plays or watch film.

Most people consider Bobby Knight to be a purty good coach, and ya aint never gunna catch his *** watchin no game film, eh?:

"If the NBA were on channel 5 and a bunch of frogs making love was on channel 4, I'd watch the frogs even if they were coming in fuzzy" (Bobby Knight)

Course that aint to say he is 100% against usin film for educational purposes, er nuthin:

"I told him to take a picture of his ********* so he'd have something to remember them by if he ever took another shot like the last one." (Bobby Knight)

Foiled by the lame-*** filter, yet again, eh? How about gonads, that work?

Last edited:
"If the NBA were on channel 5 and a bunch of frogs making love was on channel 4, I'd watch the frogs even if they were coming in fuzzy" (Bobby Knight)

"I told him to take a picture of his ********* so he'd have something to remember them by if he ever took another shot like the last one." (Bobby Knight)

...CLASSICS! Absolute CLASSICS! Can't believe I didn't find those before my main man hopper posted them! Where did you get those bad boys from, anyway???