What's new

Jazz trade up from 30 to 28 and select Tony Bradley

The models that have Bradley #10 have Mitchell #26. So grain of salt.

If he can rebound and play when Gobert gets rest then I'm all over it.

Probably a very low chance that he develops a shot/gets so good that we have to figure out how to get him more play time with Rudy on the team, but that would be a good problem to have
Look at it this way. 10 is better then 13. 26 is better then 28

Okafor is incredibly polished offensively. Awful rebounder, awful defender.

Bradley has very limited offensive skill. Very good rebounder. Pretty ok defender with the potential to be good.

So how are they similar, other than they're long and have similar skin colors?

Neither of them can jump.

Okafor is incredibly polished offensively. Awful rebounder, awful defender.

Bradley has very limited offensive skill. Very good rebounder. Pretty ok defender with the potential to be good.

So how are they similar, other than they're long and have similar skin colors?
Both played in the ACC?

The Jazz obviously think Bradley has more potential than he's being given credit for. They passed on a lot of guys -- Ojeleye, Frank Jackson, Bolden, Hart, White, Iwundu, and so on. I don't think he's just here to defend and rebound. I think they want him to be a skilled, scoring 5.

I don't especially like this move.
a) there were several other players on the board that I liked more
b) I think he would have lasted to 30, and I think the 42 had potential of getting a good player.

But I'll trust DL for now.

I'm wondering if this was a way to get rid of a draft pick we didn't need and gain "a favor".

The Jazz obviously think Bradley has more potential than he's being given credit for. They passed on a lot of guys -- Ojeleye, Frank Jackson, Bolden, Hart, White, Iwundu, and so on. I don't think he's just here to defend and rebound. I think they want him to be a skilled, scoring 5.

And that's what you need from a C off the bench, solid/decent D, but some scoring to build the lead. Isn't this what Okur was doing for Detriot before he joined our team? He was playing behind Ben Wallace in that Championship winning team, no?

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Kenny the Jet mentioned during the draft proceedings that had Bradley stayed in school another year where he was able to get more minutes he would have been a top ten pick. Gotta love that NBA ready body. Apparently it was the 7'5" wingspan measured at the combine that increased interest despite the lowest max vertical leap results. Not a concern as far as I'm concerned with that sturdy frame - not sure the kid has even grown into his body yet, may even still be growing.

I stole this from a thread on realgm. It's a comparison between the centers taken in this draft. Bradley didn't play enough minutes to take anything definitive from this, but I thought some people might find it interesting anyway.

Notanoob said:
Vitals
gMV8hIh.png

I’m going to post all of the numbers on these guys but they aren’t that interesting. Most of these guys aren’t that spectacular, and a lot of them played really limited minutes so you can’t even take their numbers that seriously.

Overall Offense
wveIiby.png

Don’t get sucked in by the numbers here too much. Only Mika, Bam, Meeks, Allen and Bryant played real minutes or weren’t already covered in my thread on PFs.

Penetration
vkJsQir.png

It’s silly to still call this section “Penetration”, but whatever. Thomas Bryant was the only guy who didn’t finish well but he did have to make his own shot more than most other Cs. Meeks was the only other guy creating his own looks much at all.

Shooting
ykOc8wY.png

Bryant and Collins look like they can shoot, Patton hit a few threes but not his free throws so don’t bet on him shooting in the NBA.

Passing
ehD0KZD.png

No really exceptional passers here, plenty of bad ones. Obviously not a big deal for centers.

Defense
E4HgibY.png

Just like with the PFs, guys who are anchoring their team’s defense typically aren’t going to see too much separation between their DRtg and their team’s DRtg, and good defensive bigs will lead good team defenses. Unfortunately, too many guys played limited minutes to get a great sample size.

Overall
0RNc51x.png

Again, these can be all over the place for a variety of reasons.

Player Evaluations
Eric Mika – I don’t think that he has the size or length to play in the NBA, but hey, BYU’s defense was pretty good with him in the middle and he led them in scoring. He can even pass a little. Maybe he can play, I’m not going to pretend I watched BYU games so I don’t know.

Tony Bradley – He didn’t play enough minutes for me to say anything about him substantial. Didn’t blow me away when I watched him but he’s got freakish length and is really young.

Kenedy Meeks – I liked watching him play and he rates well here mostly but I don’t know that I see him doing much in the NBA. He just isn’t that tall or mobile. I like Bryce Johnson a lot better.

Bam Adbayo – He seems like a simply, solid big. A bit short for the position, but he anchored a great defense, dunked and played with energy. Sometimes you don’t need more than that from your C.

Jarrett Allen – You’d expect a guy like him getting coached by Shaka Smart would lead to great defense, but Texas’ defense was unimpressive. Took too many shot away from the rim, didn’t hit his free throws, just didn’t impress. I know that he’s really long but I expected more of him.

Thomas Bryant – He’s got some talent since he hit threes, passed okay for a big and he’s another really long guy, but he’s mistake prone and Indiana’s defense should have been way better with him an O.G. there. That speaks badly for him. Obviously if he can clean up his mistakes and play some better defense he’ll be a great asset, so he’s deserves to get drafted.

Harry Giles – Impossible to say what he can do after all of those injuries. Wish him the best.

Chance Comanche – He didn’t play a lot of minutes and really didn’t get many blocks at all for a center. Supposedly he can shoot jumpers and his FT% is good, but I don’t think anyone is that interested in him.

Ike Abigbogu – Super raw guy with nice tools, but he clearly is learning. Presumably with a lot of coaching he could be a nice athletic shot blocker and finisher, but don’t expect too much out of him right away.

Well, I got them all out before the draft was over.

Andy Larsen just tweeted this "Tony Bradley said that the Jazz said they traded up to get him because they thought SAS was going to draft him."

I don't especially like this move.
a) there were several other players on the board that I liked more
b) I think he would have lasted to 30, and I think the 42 had potential of getting a good player.

But I'll trust DL for now.

Andy Larsen tweeted a link today to a story out of Tony Bradley's hometown newspaper. In the story Tony Bradley claims, the Jazz told him they traded up to get him because the Spurs would have taken him with the next pick.

http://www.theledger.com/sports/20170622/bartows-tony-bradley-is-drafted-28th-in-nba-draft

“What the Jazz were telling me is they traded with the Lakers to get me because they knew the Spurs were going to get me,” Bradley said of San Antonio, which held the next pick. “That shows the Jazz really wanted me.”

Tony Jones also tweeted about Bradley saying he is similar to Enes kanter, but not as good at this stage of development.
Of course Bradley has more length than Enes, and is most certainly a better passer.

Last edited:
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Or at least, hopefully not in all the wrong ways.

Jones was asked that question and what he said was that Kanter was more developed at this stage but that Bradley has the higher ceiling.

Was pretty vague.

They're nothing alike, except really good rebounders.

So they arent alike besides being sharing the same major career skill?

Seems like that would make them something alike. Both are known for offensive rebounding, scoring around the basket, and being raw coming out of college. I think overall they share more in common than differences.

“We had a pretty good idea that Utah was going to make something happen,” Spencer said. “We heard from other sources that San Antonio was going to be in the mix. I really though Oklahoma City was going to be the wildcard.”

From the same article. John Spencer is his agent.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Kenny the Jet mentioned during the draft proceedings that had Bradley stayed in school another year where he was able to get more minutes he would have been a top ten pick. Gotta love that NBA ready body. Apparently it was the 7'5" wingspan measured at the combine that increased interest despite the lowest max vertical leap results. Not a concern as far as I'm concerned with that sturdy frame - not sure the kid has even grown into his body yet, may even still be growing.

I'd believe it. Next year's draft class is strong as well. Bradley isn't in great shape right now, but his body and his mid-range shooting stroke are closer to Lamarcus Aldridge than people might think. He can pick and roll, pick and pop, and drive from the elbow. He was also one of the most efficient rebounders in the country as a freshman. He's just not that bouncy, more of a huge body with solid fundamentals and decent IQ. As teams continue to go smaller in the front court, he's going to thrive on the offensive glass.