What's new

Jazzbros: "I Hope I am Wrong"

Borat

Just came across this article and I found it pretty interesting, because on the surface it looks like bro Nerd is right on the money:
https://www.jazzbros.com/2010/06/the-i-hope-im-wrong-post/
However, after actually looking carefully and considering the facts, I realized there are some huge holes in thes article, which I am about to discuss.

The biggest point of the article is to show that Hayward, like Adam Morrison, is a poor athlete, defender, and has small weight, and therefore translation from College success to NBA one is perhaps just as unlikely for Hayward as it was for Morrison.

First, let’s look at athleticism aspect as this is the biggest question mark. Comparing Hayward to Morrison is extremely unfair to Gordon. The article does state Hayward can jump 5 inches higher than Morrison with and without a step (!!!), bust basically discounts this unbelievably telling fact. The difference of 5 inches jumping ability is the same difference as between Hayward and Ronnie Brewer, who is probably best athlete in entire NBA. In other words, Hayward is right about in the middle between someone like Morrison and the best athletes as there is in entire league. So, there is really no comparison here at all. In other words a statement that Hayward and Morrison are comparable athletically is just as ludicrous as saying Hayward is one of the best athletes in NBA and is comparable to Brewer. It’s simply not true. No, Hayward is not top of the NBA athlete, like Brewer, but nowhere near someone like Morrison either. Also, the fact he was able to get us for boards almost at the double rate of Morrison and almost tripled his blocking output supports that as well. Additionally, the guy is athletic enough to become top ranked in 2 sports, (not just basketball, but tennis also). Look at Evan Turner’s measurements, and Hayward is nearly identical there. Not the best athlete in the draft, but a good one. He is gifted athletically; there is no doubt about that, and Morrison comparison simply does not apply here at all.

As far as weight, Hayward is 211, and Morrison was 198 when he was drafted. That’s 13 lb difference. 7% advantage to Hayward. The bigger difference though is that Morrison was at 198 when he was 22 years old. Hayward is 211 at 20 years of age. To gain another 9 lbs or so of pure muscle to be at a very good weight of 220 or so for SG/SF is not really that difficult for a 20 year old who is just going to be given access to world class facilities. To gain 22 lbs of pure muscle for a 22 year old to reach the same weight is a lot more difficult. Think of it like that: just to get to Hayward’s level of 211, Morrison had to gain more muscle than it takes Hayward to get to the near perfect weight for a SG/SF. And again Morrison was 2 years older than Hayward when entering NBA, which does make a big difference. Hence, while for Morrison it was an uphill battle to reach great weight at NBA level, being 22 lbs away and at 22 years of age, for Hayward, at just 9lb away and at just 20 years of age, it is really pretty close. Again, nowhere near.

Finally, defense. I think it is far to say that it is a question mark for pretty much every prospect whether they can play good defense at NBA level. The difference here is that for Morrison the evaluation was that he was already a poor defender even at College level. Hayward was not at all a poor defender at College level. In fact one of the sites you mentioned actually says he is a “solid defender”, while Morrison’s assessment was that he coasts on the defense and can’t defend quick players. Again, there is simply no comparison here.

So, is the article a bunch of poppycock that only looks reasonable on surface but fails the Litmus test or Bros are onto something? I think the former, but what are your thoughts? Hopefully Nerd will read this as well and responds after considering the above.

Ronnie Brewer isn't the best athlete in the nba.

When I checked his combine numbers, I couldn't find many that are better. If he is not the best, he has to be right up there with the best. He was the best athlete of his draft class though, that's for sure.

I think the big advantage Hayward has over Morrison is he was drafted by a team with one of the most consistent offense schemes in the NBA. I am pretty sure that Hayward will be great at the mid-range coming off a curl shot. I think that his ability to handle the ball and the vision to hit the open man will also work to his advantage in the Jazz offense. Plus expectations were so ungodly high for Morrison that I think it adversely affected him. Because of players like Morrison, the expectations of Hayward are really low. A lot of the people here think he's a bust already and he hasn't even stepped out onto the floor yet.

Lebron and Dwight should be the top 2 best athletes. And to the OP, VERY NICE! w 2 thumbs up!

Yes. +1 to OP

The thing to check on his vertical is if he can get it "somewhat effortlessly" or gracefully. Watching his video's he isn't elevating a lot so that is a concern. Whether he learns to elevate a lot on his shots is TBD. For exmaple, Babbit was able to get excellent lift on his midrange jumper which will translate to NBA. Not sure yet on Hayward.

Also, can anyone clear up how well Morrison was doing before injury? He was taken higher than Hayward and so expectations were higher, but if he didn't get injured what was his trajectory? Is he, was he on a path to being a decent player in NBA?

I'd also like to add that weight and vertical don't classify anyone to be athletic or not athletic. I think just a little more goes into this whole thing....

Here's a link that may have some interesting info:

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-athleticism-test-results

I also think that comparing Morrison to Hayward is a bit off. There are other probably better comparisons, like Luke Jackson or Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Agree about weight, but how does "jumping out of the gym" not classify for athleticism measurement? Btw, just came across Snyder's measurements, who was ranked #2 athlete in his draft class: https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kirk-Snyder-4427/. Aside from lifting the bar, Hayward's results are very similar. I just don't think we can say the guy is unathletic. He has very decent athleticism. Not elite, but solid.

Ask yourself this: what would a 6'8" white guy have to do in college NOT to be compared with Adam Morrison? I challenge the great sages of this forum.

Jazz could also sign Morrison this year. He is a free agent. Then Jazz could have Hayward and Morrison battle head to head for starting SF job.

Someone talked about a comparison to Mike Dunleavey Jr. I'll tell your right now that if Gordon turns out to be as good an Dunleavey before his injury last year I well be praising KOC for this pick for years. We can only hope he turns out that good.

Morrison benched more times than Hayward even though he weighed less.
Morrison has a significantly longer wingspan.
Morrison had better lateral footspeed times.

Weight alone and vertical jumping ability are probably the least important physical factors on defense for a perimeter player.

Hayward can pass.

Hornacek couldn't jump.

And Gilbert Arenas has short arms.
Hornacek wasn't a good defender but achieved what he did on that end thanks to the rules at the time. Hornacek would've been eaten alive with the hand-checking rules in place as they are now, and if I remember right, it was a huge factor in him retiring. And Gilbert Arenas is a horrible defender as well.

Why are we supposed to be wowed with sub 20-ppg on 46% shooting and 29% from 3? Is the only thing we're supposed to look at is the success of the teams he's been on, because there's not a lot else outside of that.

Hayward can pass.

Hornacek couldn't jump.

So what? We don't need SGs/SFs known for their passing. I grow so tired of people trying to use "passing" as one of the most important things in what they look at in a player. It happened with Monroe and now it's happening with Hayward. It's like some of you have decided to promote a player at any expense by emphasizing an aspect that isn't all that important and ignoring other aspects far more important.

Passing? Who gives a damn?! We have Dwill that can pass. That's good enough. The only position where passing is truly in the top 3 qualities desired is a PG. All the rest of the positions have greater questions, quickness, shooting ability, length, post moves, post position, pick and roll defense, post defense, shotblocking, etc.

Hayward can pass.

Hornacek couldn't jump.

So what? We don't need SGs/SFs known for their passing. I grow so tired of people trying to use "passing" as one of the most important things in what they look at in a player. It happened with Monroe and now it's happening with Hayward. It's like some of you have decided to promote a player at any expense by emphasizing an aspect that isn't all that important and ignoring other aspects far more important.

Passing? Who gives a damn?! We have Dwill that can pass. That's good enough. The only position where passing is truly in the top 3 qualities desired is a PG. All the rest of the positions have greater questions, quickness, shooting ability, length, post moves, post position, pick and roll defense, post defense, shotblocking, etc.

I think people have question marks about other aspects of Hayward's game and athletic ability... To add, I think Hayward probably has better aspects than just his passing game... I'll allow the Hayward fans to fill me in on exactly what they are (other than passing of course)...

Hornacek wasn't a good defender but achieved what he did on that end thanks to the rules at the time. Hornacek would've been eaten alive with the hand-checking rules in place as they are now, and if I remember right, it was a huge factor in him retiring. And Gilbert Arenas is a horrible defender as well.

Why are we supposed to be wowed with sub 20-ppg on 46% shooting and 29% from 3? Is the only thing we're supposed to look at is the success of the teams he's been on, because there's not a lot else outside of that.

Would you rather have Xavier Henry or Paul George?

Also, Hayward is a career 36% shooter from deep despite an atrocious year.