What's new

Jazz's Hornacek officially joins Corbin's staff

I think it's great that the organization continues to promote from within and Ty is certainly deserving and I think he'll be a great coach, however, part of me wanted to see the Jazz bring in an established coach, e.g., Larry Brown or someone like that. Again, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about Cobrin and how successful he'll be, but I doubt we really see too much change this season.

Why is it great to promote from within? I would rather have them look around, see what needs to be done to get a championship, and then look for the people (coaches, players) that will fit that role no matter where they are or who they are. Now Horny may be a great choice, but so far I see too much of just going with what is there, what is comfortable, what is complacency. What is so compelling about going with the same ole same ole? How many rings have been won that way? I will keep an open mind and wish Ty et al the best but there is no compelling reason to believe that this is the dream team. Did the Jazz even consider anyone else for HC?

You can't rank a person's fire and passion by how they interact with the media. He was a passionate player, and I have no doubt that passion would translate to his coaching.

I don't doubt that of him either, and that's not what my question is about. Having passion doesn't automatically translate into leadership ability. These are world class jobs we're talking about and the question will be asked of any head coaching consideration (taking over as #1 was the discussion earlier).

Jeff will be the obvious choice for Head Coach, once Corbin decides to bow out.

How exactly do you figure?

Being a shooting coach is not real coaching experience. I like that Horny has his number in the rafters, is a fan favorite and that he's slowly coming into the coaching fold... but you just can't hand the team over to someone with zero coaching experience.

Ty Corbin makes lots more sense.

Why is it great to promote from within? I would rather have them look around, see what needs to be done to get a championship, and then look for the people (coaches, players) that will fit that role no matter where they are or who they are. Now Horny may be a great choice, but so far I see too much of just going with what is there, what is comfortable, what is complacency. What is so compelling about going with the same ole same ole? How many rings have been won that way? I will keep an open mind and wish Ty et al the best but there is no compelling reason to believe that this is the dream team. Did the Jazz even consider anyone else for HC?

Let me rephrase that. I like that the FO is loyal and promotes guys that stick around. However, I would have liked it had they looked at some other options. I think Corbin will be fine though and he'll do great.