What's new

John Hollinger Thinks Conley May Opt Out

Anyone know when they are going to announce the LT number for the upcoming season?
Next couple weeks. There is also a CBA negotiation that will be tied to whatever the number becomes. All the noise coming in is that the tax and cap will be set where they were projected but that there will be a 25-30% escrow that deflates that. The sticking point will be with guys like Conley who are projected to lose some money doing it that way... the alternative is FA will be beyond dismal.

I would put the over/under on Wood's average salary at 14M per year. If Charlotte/Detroit/NY/Atlanta/Phoenix let him go to a good team for the MLE its a major dunce on their part.

I would put the over/under on Wood's average salary at 14M per year. If Charlotte/Detroit/NY/Atlanta/Phoenix let him go to a good team for the MLE its a major dunce on their part.
He isnt a starter on any of those teams. Those teams shouldnt want to pay him that much money.

Is a team like Detroit/Charlotte really going to want to start him at the 5, especially when both teams have shots at drafting a Wiseman/Okangu?

Is he going to want to go to a bench role in Atlanta/NY/Phoenix? Because both teams have more talented starters already in place at the 5

If the backup is your 6th man and a starter quality player, then yeah, it's completely reasonable.

For a really legit 6th man maybe, I don't think there's a single one in the league currently worth that money. A guy making 17M needs to be your ~3rd/4th best player. Conley at 35/36 ain't that guy. He wasn't that guy at 32.

For a really legit 6th man maybe, I don't think there's a single one in the league currently worth that money. A guy making 17M needs to be your ~3rd/4th best player. Conley at 35/36 ain't that guy. He wasn't that guy at 32.
Uhh, Goran Dragic was the Heat's 6th man for the entire regular season at 19 million per year.

Try again.

Uhh, Goran Dragic was the Heat's 6th man for the entire regular season at 19 million per year.

Try again.

If your plan is to have multiple rookie contract guys contributing at high level reserve to allstar level (Nunn, Herro, Robinson, Adebayo), your team is ****ed.

Again, Dragic is an all-star AND all-nba. Conley is neither. He's a bench player on most teams and would only start on teams that want to tank. We are in the playoffs despite of him not because of. Our numbers are better across the board both offensively and defensively with him off the floor

If your plan is to have multiple rookie contract guys contributing at high level reserve to allstar level (Nunn, Herro, Robinson, Adebayo), your team is ****ed.
The Jazz are also ****ed because their best player is a 6'2 SG, so they should dump everything and blow the team up, right?

You have to do the best with what you got.

Like if somehow the Jazz got Conley at 13 million per year instead of 17 does that make the Jazz a team that contend all of the sudden? It's just a silly thing to say. The Jazz got to keep every single piece of talent they can at this point, draft well, make smart trades, and hope for the best.

Again, Dragic is an all-star AND all-nba. Conley is neither. He's a bench player on most teams and would only start on teams that want to tank. We are in the playoffs despite of him not because of. Our numbers are better across the board both offensively and defensively with him off the floor
Mike Conley is clearly the better player lmao.

The Jazz are also ****ed because their best player is a 6'2 SG, so they should dump everything and blow the team up, right?

You have to do the best with what you got.

Sure thing, and that best doesn't involve spending 17M per year on an even smaller backup guard.

Dragic 100% outplayed Conley this season.

Sure thing, and that best doesn't involve spending 17M per year on an even smaller backup guard.

Dragic 100% outplayed Conley this season.
He was barely any better and that's with Conley being on a new team and getting adjusted. Conley is the better player.

Dragic, Schroeder, Paul, Westbrook, Murray, Trae, Kemba, Kyrie, Luka, Harden, VanVleet, Lowry, Morant, Simmons, Brogdon, Lillard, Steph, Fox, Jrue.

Just tell me how Conley is better and would start over any of these guys. We can go about this all day but Conley is a bench PG on most teams in this league.

And you can cut the BS about Conley needing the time to get adjusted. The whole idea of the Conley trade is for him to make an instant impact. All we have for him is 2019-2021 and we are already half way thru. If a 32 yr old vet Conley needs time to get adjusted, why shouldn't we just draft a rookie PG and give him the time to adjust and develop instead. Less risk much higher reward cuz I'm sure in a few months Conley will have to get acclimated and adjust on a new team.

He isnt a starter on any of those teams. Those teams shouldnt want to pay him that much money.

Is a team like Detroit/Charlotte really going to want to start him at the 5, especially when both teams have shots at drafting a Wiseman/Okangu?

Is he going to want to go to a bench role in Atlanta/NY/Phoenix? Because both teams have more talented starters already in place at the 5
He'd start for a lot of those teams regardless of who they draft. Atlanta would be a no... but they also may move on from John Collins.

Wood is a 4/5 hybrid and I could see him being someone Phoenix plays alongside Ayton... NY has nothing he could absolutely play alongside whatever they have.

Charlotte is just as likely to take Ball or one of the wings... their frontcourt guys are trash. If you think Wood is a sparkle and fade guy then maybe these teams pass him up. I think he'd be one of the best gambles for any of those teams. If he goes for the MLE I want DL there begging him to pick us.

Dragic, Schroeder, Paul, Westbrook, Murray, Trae, Kemba, Kyrie, Luka, Harden, VanVleet, Lowry, Morant, Simmons, Brogdon, Lillard, Steph, Fox, Jrue.

Just tell me how Conley is better and would start over any of these guys. We can go about this all day but Conley is a bench PG on most teams in this league.
You are trying to make a point that he wouldn't start in most teams (which could be the case), yet your list include guys who don't start (Dragic, Schroeder) and others who could be considered SGs (Harden). Also, given his health issues, it seems the Heat made the right choice in bringing Dragic off the bench (the previous year was terrible for him), so if Conley were there, he would be the 'nominal' starter. Dennis? Not sure: he is very talented but his decision making is iffy. I see him more as an explosive 6th man on a good team, maybe a starter on a terrible one.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I think you should present the whole picture, not only the names that support your argument . I've looking at NBA's rosters and I think there is an argument to be made about Conley starting for 8-10 teams in the league. You can do worse but you can definitely do better. Ideally, he would be our 6th man. Here are some teams where he could start: Knicks (Payton, Nkti), Magic (Fultz, DJ), Clippers (Beverly), Heat (Nunn...it seems Dragic is out of the question given his health), Bulls (White...although they are not trying to win, so...), Pistons (Bruce Brown, Rose), Pelicans (instead of Ball, next to a big guard like Holiday), Hornets (Rozier...he can put up numbers, but you are not in a good place if he is your starting PG), Wizards (Wall's corpse, Sato), Spurs (maybe instead of Forbes). So that's 8-10 where Conley could get a starting spot besides Utah.

He'd start for a lot of those teams regardless of who they draft. Atlanta would be a no... but they also may move on from John Collins.

Wood is a 4/5 hybrid and I could see him being someone Phoenix plays alongside Ayton... NY has nothing he could absolutely play alongside whatever they have.

Charlotte is just as likely to take Ball or one of the wings... their frontcourt guys are trash. If you think Wood is a sparkle and fade guy then maybe these teams pass him up. I think he'd be one of the best gambles for any of those teams. If he goes for the MLE I want DL there begging him to pick us.
He put the numbers he put up because he was playing primarily the 5. If you put him at the 4 next to a more traditional 5, his numbers are going to go way way way down. I would guess he stays in Detroit and they start him and Griffin together.

And PJ Washington is way better than Wood lmfao. So is Miles Bridges. I guess they could start all 3, and is probably the team that makes the most sense out of the ones you said. But still, if they draft a lottery big, that makes it a lot less likely.

So I guess the only scenario I see him getting more than the MLE is if a team like Charlotte doesnt draft a big and makes it a bidding war between themselves and Detroit.

He put the numbers he put up because he was playing primarily the 5. If you put him at the 4 next to a more traditional 5, his numbers are going to go way way way down. I would guess he stays in Detroit and they start him and Griffin together.

And PJ Washington is way better than Wood lmfao. So is Miles Bridges. I guess they could start all 3, and is probably the team that makes the most sense out of the ones you said. But still, if they draft a lottery big, that makes it a lot less likely.

So I guess the only scenario I see him getting more than the MLE is if a team like Charlotte doesnt draft a big and makes it a bidding war between themselves and Detroit.
Miles Bridges may some day be better than Wood but he currently is not close. We don't see Wood the same way. He has a ton of value as a rim runner but I also think he can play with traditional 5s. He split his time this year between 4 and 5 equally. He put up bigger numbers end of season because he was getting more minutes... His production was awesome all year though. His team was much better with him on the floor than off it... so it isn't empty numbers imo.

You can play two bigs if one or both are skilled. I hope you are right and DL gets him to take the MLE... I think Detroit may also end up bidding against themselves or beating an MLE deal by overpaying to stay there. Detroit may be top of the list of teams I wouldn't want to play on if i was an NBA player.