What's new

[Jones]BREAKING: Jazz willing to engage Celtics in S&T talks: But Gordon Hayward must agree

• Thread starter Deleted member 95
  • Start date
We could really use a youngish (25 or under?) stretch 4 who has some balls. A stretch 4 a little bigger than Jae. Does such a thing exist?

Scott Cooper is the guy that said that he thought DL might be able to get a pick. They are replaying the interview on 1280 right now

They really only need to move 1 guy, and need to save only about 300K in what they take back, so they could trade any one of them for a player that makes slightly less, and still be able to sign Hayward without Jazz doing a sign and trade.

This all assumes that they also move Rozier and most of their other second level contracts as well. Moving Rozier is just the START of the process. The Jazz would have little interest I would imagine. They would rather have the dollars on the trade exception.

I personally would like to kinda rebuild, but that went out the window with trading for Rubio and re-signing Ingles. I would love to see Exum, Mitchell, Hood, ?, Gobert starting lineup to see what we have in Hood/Exum before they need to be resigned. Likely a pretty good pick next year coming in the east as well. Trade Joe Johnson and Favors and get a young PF somehow. Trade for some contracts and get a few more picks as well.

Jazz won't do that though, so I'm all for getting Crowder to fill the minor hole at SF (JJ is backup PF to Favors). I think Jazz could be a playoff team, maybe even a 5 seed this year if healthy with improvement from Exum, consistency from Hood, and a healthy Favors (I think he could be the biggest benefactor of Rubio, I loved seeing him and Ingles work together in the playoffs).

Good post. I'd prefer to re-build as well but agree it's highly unlikely...especially when we already have a fairly competitive roster as is. I just don't see us eventually plateauing around a 2nd rd exit.

Personally, I hope we trade Rubio, Hood (due to upcoming RFA), Ingles (sucks but it's business), JJ, Favors & build around Exum/Mitchell/Gobert + acquired assets/future draft picks. I would even consider trading Gobert for a godfather offer. I know this won't happen but I see no other approach that could potentially lead to a championship (even if unlikely).

Agree he is a great fit. Also agree that you give up a 1st for him (as long as it's lottery protected)...if you are commited to attempting to compete now. Do you think that's the philosophy we should be taking? Curious what the consensus is around here...
I would love to add crowder and see what we can do next year.

We could really use a youngish (25 or under?) stretch 4 who has some balls. A stretch 4 a little bigger than Jae. Does such a thing exist?
I think Jae is perfect. Especially with that contract

Before Hayward left, the Jazz we're going to plateau as a 55 - 60-win team that loses in the WCF, basically like Memphis a few years ago or San Antonio this year.

Sure, without any significant additions/internal development. But with Hayward, theoretically at least, we were only a star away from legitimately competing. Losing him has widened that gap considerably & lowered that "plateau" significantly as well IMO

The Jazz are definitely not in a strong position. The position they are in is wait for Boston to exhaust every other option they have and hope it works out for them. They literally cant do anything other than wait on Boston. That isn't a position of strength.

Boston will come back to the table with something. What will that tell you about our negotiating position?

How do you know when you plateau?

Not sure if you're joking. By plateau, I meant reaching a level of success while lacking the necessary assets/financial resources/potential for internal development to significantly improve the roster in order to take that next step in competing.

Not sure if you're joking. By plateau, I meant reaching a level of success while lacking the necessary assets/financial resources/potential for internal development to significantly improve the roster in order to take that next step in competing.

But how do you know when that moment has occurred? I dont see the Jazz plateauing anytime soon.