What's new

Jordan Clarkson Extension

Dinwiddie or LeVert should be available this summer.

If we extend Clarkson, the need for one of these guys goes down substantially.

I'm intrigued by the PF/big man market:
Marcus Morris
Gallinari
Millsap
Montrez Harrell
Bertans
Ibaka
Tristan Thompson
Jae Crowder
Derrick Favors
Baynes

Can we get one of the guys above with the MLE? If we can while keeping everything else intact, what an addition that could be. Or maybe trade Conley and our late pick to NY for Portis, Ntilikina, 2nds.

If we extend Clarkson, the need for one of these guys goes down substantially.

I'm intrigued by the PF/big man market:
Marcus Morris
Gallinari
Millsap
Montrez Harrell
Bertans
Ibaka
Tristan Thompson
Jae Crowder
Derrick Favors
Baynes

Can we get one of the guys above with the MLE? If we can while keeping everything else intact, what an addition that could be. Or maybe trade Conley and our late pick to NY for Portis, Ntilikina, 2nds.

There are some other bigs not on here too like Jamychael Green.

If we could trade Ed and pick for a future pick then that’s great. Restock those assets.

Just trying to workshop that and I don't see a 1st for 1st type of scenario... Might be able to trade with NY and get the second they have this year from charlotte and the second they have next year from Charlotte or Detroit. So a first plus ed for two good seconds. Not sexy at all, but good value play and gives us the salary margin we need.

I think someone might take a flier on TB if we just traded him into their space. No real assets just salary dump. Clears up some space and opens up some roster spots.

I think I'd lean to just keeping and making the pick... we still need like one more draft win to push us over the top imo. Not a huge win... but like a Josh Hart, Derrick White level win.

Just trying to workshop that and I don't see a 1st for 1st type of scenario... Might be able to trade with NY and get the second they have this year from charlotte and the second they have next year from Charlotte or Detroit. So a first plus ed for two good seconds. Not sexy at all, but good value play and gives us the salary margin we need.

I think someone might take a flier on TB if we just traded him into their space. No real assets just salary dump. Clears up some space and opens up some roster spots.

I think I'd lean to just keeping and making the pick... we still need like one more draft win to push us over the top imo. Not a huge win... but like a Josh Hart, Derrick White level win.

We don’t need two 2nds. We’re already developing NWG, Oni, Brantley, Morgan, and Bradley amongst others. Don’t need two more projects.

We don’t need two 2nds. We’re already developing NWG, Oni, Brantley, Morgan, and Bradley amongst others. Don’t need two more projects.
It’s moving down to get one second in 2020 draft and one in 2021... it’s also more trade currency.

meh. We need an impact player. Trading down decreases the likelihood of acquiring one.
Getting two bites at the apple increases those chances :)

If you can get off Ed's salary it helps unlock the full MLE for us without any tax implications. The player we sign with that exception likely has more impact than any of the draft stuff.

I'm not sure what I'd do... depends on who is available and what my free agent plans are.

Very good question. https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryant...summer-of-salary-cap-exceptions/#c73143bf0ee4

Five teams projected to have cap space this summer:
Atlanta: 49.21M
New York: 38.76M
Detroit: 34.86M
Miami: 26.50M
Charlotte: 22.81M

Those are the only 5 teams in the entire league who can give more than $9.75 million. Miami will not want to tie up 2021 money because they want target a max guy.

So, would Clarkson want to sign for Atlanta, New York, Detroit or Charlotte over coming back to what seems to be a good fit? I think we could try to sign Clarkson to $11 maybe $12 per year over 4 years and guarantee it all. That's likely more than he would get in the free agent market unless he wants to go to a trash team for a little more money.
He's worth every penny of 12.

Not overly concerned. Lot of bench scoring options available in the summer. Allonzo Trier would be an intriguing backup option

I think we should trade with the Knicks at the draft. Something like...

Davis and our 2020 1st for Dallas' 2021 1st
or
Davis and our 2020 1st for Dallas' 2023 1st and Charlotte's 2020 2nd

I think we need to recoup a future 1st for our 2020 1st just in case we need that asset to build around an already capped out roster.

meh. We need an impact player. Trading down decreases the likelihood of acquiring one.
This. We really need to be focused on plugging the holes. We should be in win now mode. Not win in 3 years or limp along with projects to hope they deliver in 2 or 3 years. We need to convert what assets we have into the pieces we need now (obviously we missed the deadline so crap on that) or next year.

I think we should trade with the Knicks at the draft. Something like...

Davis and our 2020 1st for Dallas' 2021 1st
or
Davis and our 2020 1st for Dallas' 2023 1st and Charlotte's 2020 2nd

I think we need to recoup a future 1st for our 2020 1st just in case we need that asset to build around an already capped out roster.

I thought of that, but they do have the Clips first this year and they'd be stupid to do it... but they are stupid so I definitely have the call and see if you can get them to be dumb.

This. We really need to be focused on plugging the holes. We should be in win now mode. Not win in 3 years or limp along with projects to hope they deliver in 2 or 3 years. We need to convert what assets we have into the pieces we need now (obviously we missed the deadline so crap on that) or next year.

We can plug holes with the MLE and BAE this summer. MLE is like $10M (4/43M) and BAE is $4M (2/8M) ish. The draft is where we can get young cheap players that contribute and are really valuable or home runs... but most obviously don't pan out. They are the stock options we have in our portfolio that could explode.

We definitely need to try and keep him but we also shouldn't overpay. He's been absolutely on fire recently but I don't think the level he's been playing at is sustainable, I think at some point he's going to come back down to earth. I'm not sure I'd go any higher than $11-12 million.

We definitely need to try and keep him but we also shouldn't overpay. He's been absolutely on fire recently but I don't think the level he's been playing at is sustainable, I think at some point he's going to come back down to earth. I'm not sure I'd go any higher than $11-12 million.
Definitely want value on the deal, but if we offer 4/44M and he got 4/50M and we let him walk that's dumb... extensions are the place you can get a slight discount. Once he hits FA he is in the driver seat. Like I don't think what he gives can just be found anywhere and he's in his prime. I think no matter the timing it gets done at some point.

Definitely want value on the deal, but if we offer 4/44M and he got 4/50M and we let him walk that's dumb... extensions are the place you can get a slight discount. Once he hits FA he is in the driver seat. Like I don't think what he gives can just be found anywhere and he's in his prime. I think no matter the timing it gets done at some point.
This. I hope we don't undervalue him. Having a guy that even has the potential to go off for 30 on any given night as your 6th man is incredibly valuable, especially with his skill-set and energy level. 6th man of the year if he stays here long term.

I'd be good with 4/$50M, I think that's a fair deal. Even 4/$52M would be ok, I'm not sure I'd go above that though.

I'd be good with 4/$50M, I think that's a fair deal. Even 4/$52M would be ok, I'm not sure I'd go above that though.
Right... there is definitely a limit. If he won't extend around what would be MLE then you go into free agency. I doubt any team gets wild with Jordan. The teams that have space already have guards and have big holes in other areas. I also think if we were offering the same as Atlanta or Charlotte that he'd for sure pick us.