What's new

Game Thread Jun 14, 2021 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Clippers - Game 4

Added to Calendar: 06-14-21

If the Jazz are just doing this out of precaution against one of the most talented rosters I've ever seen and that load managed, sleep-walked, and tanked their way to the 4th seed in the Western Conference and now seems focused, then they are buffoons.

If this goes home tied up, I could see this ending in 6 in the bad way.
Even if Conley doesnt play a single game in this series I have a hard time believing the Jazz lose 4 in a row (assuming Mitchell is playing).

I hope that isn't the case or we've got some really dumb people running things. I really am struggling to believe, after the whole Mitchell issue, they'd pull the same stunt. That's some monumental stupidity right there. Like, a level of stupidity that I don't think I've ever experienced as a Jazz fan. So damn monumental that my mind is struggling to process just how stupid they'd have to be to do something like that.

And that's why I believe it's worse than they're letting on because it's remarkably ****ing dumb to keep Conley out knowing it's doing damage to Mitchell, our star player.
Was the Mitchell thing stupid? Havent the Jazz staff been vindicated by how quickly Mitchell's injury has flared back up with no apparent major catalyst? And by major catalyst I mean his ankle twisting. The things that have caused Mitchell to grimace have been when his foot has simply landed on the ground, which point to more foot issues than straight ankle issues (can be both ofc).

This season ****ing sucks for player health. The compacted season is making a lot of dudes miss time with these kinds of injuries. The bummer is that the Jazz seemed relatively healthy until the last month or two of the season and I thought they would be the ones taking advantage of this.

Anything can change on the health front in an instant thought. Kawhi/PG could go down with a hamstring injury tonight, you never know.

Debbie downer strikes again...

I think you gotta believe. Belief is a powerful thing. And I believe in this team! Go Jazz. Shut one eye and colin cow-turd and all the doubters up.
Okay I shut one eye, now what was the other stuff?

Not sure how sure they are about having him for game 5 but if DM is hurt I'm not sure it is smart to ask him to do what he did last game. He can't beat two defenders at the top. I think maybe the strategy is start him out in major decoy mode... accept the double team and have the other guys be really aggressive. See how they are shooting and adjust from there.

Worst case scenario is we burn DM up in a loss that was a long shot... then we get Mike back but DM ain't ready.

We need 30 point Bojan... we need some help with the refs... we need the clips to have a **** the bed performance from 3. I'm legit sad right now.
The thing is Donovan is going to do that regardless. I doubt the Jazz ever asked him to barge into the lane with 3 defenders and try to draw ridiculous fouls while ignoring kick out options.

Maybe run a few more post-ups off switches for Bogey if you can get a Reggie Jackson on him. Other than that it's going to have to be the same thing from Donovan. Some crazy shot making and driving into the lanes. He just has to be smarter about how much he gives his body up and look for the kickouts.

The thing is Donovan is going to do that regardless. I doubt the Jazz ever asked him to barge into the lane with 3 defenders and try to draw ridiculous fouls while ignoring kick out options.

Maybe run a few more post-ups off switches for Bogey if you can get a Reggie Jackson on him. Other than that it's going to have to be the same thing from Donovan. Some crazy shot making and driving into the lanes. He just has to be smarter about how much he gives his body up and look for the kickouts.
He has been trying to beat it as it starts to come at him at times... I think the team just needs to know its 4 on 3 and they have to win that battle as they trap.

We need to bring Ilyasova in at C the first time Rudy needs a break. Throw them a curve ball. Ilyasova hits a couple 3s then they have to do the adjusting.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
I actually might support this... They are playing all stretch options. The defense might be super duper bad, but it already has sucked *** with Rudy off the floor. If Ersan can take one charge in a 5 minute run or hit 1 three it might compensate for the issues not having Favs creates.

He has been trying to beat it as it starts to come at him at times... I think the team just needs to know its 4 on 3 and they have to win that battle as they trap.
Yeah, but the spacing is always *** and Donovan lets himself get trapped so the swinging of the ball happens so slowly/sloppily that there isnt as big of an advantage as there should be.

I actually might support this... They are playing all stretch options. The defense might be super duper bad, but it already has sucked *** with Rudy off the floor. If Ersan can take one charge in a 5 minute run or hit 1 three it might compensate for the issues not having Favs creates.
Be real rebels and play Dok.

*sarcasm*

I hope that isn't the case or we've got some really dumb people running things. I really am struggling to believe, after the whole Mitchell issue, they'd pull the same stunt. That's some monumental stupidity right there. Like, a level of stupidity that I don't think I've ever experienced as a Jazz fan. So damn monumental that my mind is struggling to process just how stupid they'd have to be to do something like that.

And that's why I believe it's worse than they're letting on because it's remarkably ****ing dumb to keep Conley out knowing it's doing damage to Mitchell, our star player.
If they're lying about the severity of his injury, then that's also really dumb of them. It makes Conley look bad for not playing (see: social media. Hell, see the recent posts in the Conley Hamstring thread).

This is probably it though - there's precedent - they lied about the severity of Mitchell's injury when it occurred as well. But unlike Conley, Mitchell didn't stay quiet about it.

Yeah, but the spacing is always *** and Donovan lets himself get trapped so the swinging of the ball happens so slowly/sloppily that there isnt as big of an advantage as there should be.
I think part of it is he is smaller so he has to see it more clearly and doesn't always have great angles. I agree though... when he was retreating from it every time we weren't getting any benefit from them doubling 45 feet from the rim. Its the advantage Doncic had (in addition to just being a savant passer).

Not sure how to fix it but if Quin is a great coach it should be something he can help.

Was the Mitchell thing stupid? Havent the Jazz staff been vindicated by how quickly Mitchell's injury has flared back up with no apparent major catalyst? And by major catalyst I mean his ankle twisting. The things that have caused Mitchell to grimace have been when his foot has simply landed on the ground, which point to more foot issues than straight ankle issues (can be both ofc).

This season ****ing sucks for player health. The compacted season is making a lot of dudes miss time with these kinds of injuries. The bummer is that the Jazz seemed relatively healthy until the last month or two of the season and I thought they would be the ones taking advantage of this.

Anything can change on the health front in an instant thought. Kawhi/PG could go down with a hamstring injury tonight, you never know.
Yes it was dumb with Mitchell too. He was ready to go, as we saw with his performance just two days later, and I find it really hard to believe that, despite being out for weeks prior to the playoffs, his coming back a game early would have dramatically altered his current trajectory, unless you think he should have sat more games. If that's the case, that argument is moot because we're likely not even in the playoffs anymore.

In fact, it might have altered the trajectory in a positive way if he played game one: the Jazz sweep Memphis, Conley dosen't tweak his hamstring in a game five and maybe is playing right now, helping Mitchell so he's not doing it all himself and the Jazz is up 3-0.

And it's not as though Favors is producing well either.

It's clear his injury is worse than many believed.
Game 5 would be the standard amount of time he’s missed for the same issue every time it’s happened—14 days. 14 days has been the normal recovery time they’ve held him out, which will line up exactly for game 5 on Wednesday. If he misses game 5, then it’s went longer than normal and I’ll be quite concerned. They keep specifying “mild” which they’ve never done before. I expect him to play game 5.

I'd support changing up our lineup and giving Ersan some run spacing the floor as they'll have to respect his range. Niang has been trash and Favors ineffective.

My guess is Quin will simply stick to his guns though.

I'd support changing up our lineup and giving Ersan some run spacing the floor as they'll have to respect his range. Niang has been trash and Favors ineffective.

100%. I’d rather play Ersan and give him a chance. Also, Quin needs to play some guys more minutes. Rudy played like 13 minutes in the first half last game and has barely cracked 35 this series. Our starter should be playing 37-40 minutes a night just like the Clippers are. The trash minutes are hurting us too much. Quin better shake up the lineups tonight.

He does not normally make these type of changes... sometimes its good... but it does leave me wondering "what if we tried X?"

Game 5 would be the standard amount of time he’s missed for the same issue every time it’s happened—14 days. 14 days has been the normal recovery time they’ve held him out, which will line up exactly for game 5 on Wednesday. If he misses game 5, then it’s went longer than normal and I’ll be quite concerned. They keep specifying “mild” which they’ve never done before. I expect him to play game 5.
I hope that's the case but at this time I am just not optimistic. I feel we're starting to get to the point of asking how many angels can tap dance on the head of a pin. None of us know anything and now we're just speculating for speculating sake, I guess.