What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Doesn’t it seem like this Jazz team already gets more respect league-wide compared to the DM and Rudy team of the last few years? I don’t know if I should credit that to the Marksman or if I should offended as a Jazz fan for previous seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both

Doesn’t it seem like this Jazz team already gets more respect league-wide compared to the DM and Rudy team of the last few years? I don’t know if I should credit that to the Marksman or if I should offended as a Jazz fan for previous seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beating expectations does that. With DM and Rudy the talk was always "yeah they look great but lets just wait until the playoffs start...."

I think we are far from last year in terms of quality BB, but on the other hand we seem to be more pesky in the clutch.

If you need any more proof as to why Lauri is a role player at heart, just look at the change in his game when we replaced Conley with Sexton in the starting lineup. The fire seems to have gone out of Markkanen and he's pretty much just going through the motions. Been as meh as it gets lately.

Disappointed but not exactly surprised.

If you need any more proof as to why Lauri is a role player at heart, just look at the change in his game when we replaced Conley with Sexton in the starting lineup. The fire seems to have gone out of Markkanen and he's pretty much just going through the motions. Been as meh as it gets lately.

Disappointed but not exactly surprised.
Good lord you are full of it. Lauri has had a couple bad games and suddenly he is just going through the motions. Then of course trying to put the blame on Sexton as well.

Good lord you are full of it. Lauri has had a couple bad games and suddenly he is just going through the motions. Then of course trying to put the blame on Sexton as well.
"The blame"? Is Sexton off limits now?

Just stating the fact that he's not a winning player. Never has been.

And Lauri's counting stats have been mostly OK but it's like night and day when you look at his play a month ago. He's lacking the fire.

Why don't you go **** yourself, my guy.

Can I share basketball related opinions here or not?
Your takes are kind of bad though so it gets old for some posters reading the same garbage over and over , just let go of old opinions and focus on what you see in front of you.
Chances are they will not be the same takes. If they are, then you must not even care much about it, and in fact arte just on here to troll and bitch

Lauri absolutely has one and exteremely infuriating bad habit to disappear after when he's played one or several good games.
Especially when Lauri is hot he plays like Dirk but when he's exhausted and tired he plays like some freaking G league bench scrub.

As a player and shooter Lauri cannot be so depend on that does Conley play or not.
And seriously said Lauri's whole game cannot being up to missing one player but this can be said whole Jazz team not only Lauri.

Right now it looks truly that Jazz surprising good start in October and early November was lucky fluke.
And it happend only because other teams seriously underestimated Jazz and Conley was running offensive game.
Now when Conley is out Jazz games are going downhill and losing streak is more a rule than exception to the rule.

Jazz honeymoon is coming to end and it is matter of the time when serious tanking will start.
The time to start make decisions of that who are getting traded and who doesn't is coming any moment
so Ainge should start to think what to do with a Jazz season.

Last edited:
"The blame"? Is Sexton off limits now?

Just stating the fact that he's not a winning player. Never has been.

And Lauri's counting stats have been mostly OK but it's like night and day when you look at his play a month ago. He's lacking the fire.

Career high ten days ago and career high offensive boards a week ago.

I told here and in another jazz forum if he is going to be assigned guarding jamorants of the league and clocking 35+ minutes often he will start having fatigue. He is going though 1. Increased minutes 2. Increased role in offense and 3. Had to guard the toughest match ups night in and night out just bc this team has no starting guards that can defend them it seems.
And all this with the toughest schedules of the whole league.

If he was not having touugher period for a week now it would be cool... I am worried if the becoming two weeks does not get his bounce back a bit with all these home games. At last he and the team can catch some effing break.

EDIT: Show me a 7footer thats not Giannis and who would have got all those defensive assignments with the toughest schedue of the league and were not running low gas for some time in the season. Answer: there is none bc that is not what teams do. But this team is not finished. His workload gets less when this team acquires more defense in the future.

Relax. Lauri is still not on the level of the top players in this league, so we shouldnt expect him to post 30/10 lines every night.

The question at hand is:
Can he learn to play dominant ball even when the opponent commits to taking him away?

They will try various different things to slow him down. He needs to learn how to contribute and win through that. He hasnt been "the guy they try to shut down" thus far in his career, so let them break down some film and see if he can learn to be effective there

Lets enjoy the ride. At worst imo he is a very solid #2 who is just getting #1 treatment atm.

Relax. Lauri is still not on the level of the top players in this league, so we shouldnt expect him to post 30/10 lines every night.

The question at hand is:
Can he learn to play dominant ball even when the opponent commits to taking him away?

They will try various different things to slow him down. He needs to learn how to contribute and win through that. He hasnt been "the guy they try to shut down" thus far in his career, so let them break down some film and see if he can learn to be effective there

Lets enjoy the ride. At worst imo he is a very solid #2 who is just getting #1 treatment atm.

Spot-on. It is fun to see how Collin and Lauri will adjust their games during this season when their roles are changing from what it has been before.
BTW Markkanen has clocked 4th most minutes in the NBA. It is kinda wild considering we also have most games so far. Minutes management has failed a bit.

Spot-on. It is fun to see how Collin and Lauri will adjust their games during this season when their roles are changing from what it has been before.
BTW Markkanen has clocked 4th most minutes in the NBA. It is kinda wild considering we also have most games so far. Minutes management has failed a bit.
Good info about the minutes.

Jazz win or lose have been pretty competitive in pretty much every game until the last minute or so. That pushes the players pretty hard in the minutes they are on the court and makes your main guys play more.

Lauri needs a great ball handler to help him finish games. Mike is being missed and Colin needs to keep growing. I think Kessler with Dok's body is a top 5 center. Beasley is underutilized if the Jazz want to win and Vando needs to up his rebounding like a mad man.

We need to do a better job of getting him involved later in the game. He should touch the ball every single possession late in the game. Run a high-low set with Olynyk with cuts or hella-pnr's. But he needs to be more involved in the offense and he isn't at the level yet where he can create for himself and others enough to just give him the ball. I think he'll get there, but right now he needs someone to help set him up and get him the ball.

Also Hardy needs to unleash his shot blocker when the other team is feasting in the paint. I'm convinced we had a better shot to win with Kessler in than Olynyk last night.

We need to do a better job of getting him involved later in the game. He should touch the ball every single possession late in the game. Run a high-low set with Olynyk with cuts or hella-pnr's. But he needs to be more involved in the offense and he isn't at the level yet where he can create for himself and others enough to just give him the ball. I think he'll get there, but right now he needs someone to help set him up and get him the ball.

Also Hardy needs to unleash his shot blocker when the other team is feasting in the paint. I'm convinced we had a better shot to win with Kessler in than Olynyk last night.
He's not gonna get more touches when we run jc, Sexton and beasley together. Those 3 shoots alot. Lauri will just go for rebounds as those 3 offers very little help in that department.

IMO Markkanen is the definition of an off-ball scorer. You don't have to spoon feed him everything like he's Vando and he doesn't need four stagger screens in a row to get open like Reggie Miller used to, but he's still at his best when he has a step on the defender and receives the ball on the move. I think a curl to the middle off a screen is pretty much the "setup" he needs. You need some spacing for that, though, and we're not exactly excelling at that right now,