What's new

Lobsters are Sentient

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
Apparently the UK has passed a law that protects sentient animals. And apparently lobsters are among said sentient animals.

In the report, experts at the London School of Economics and Political Science reviewed 300 different studies looking for evidence that these critters are sentient. The report concludes that cephalopods—a group of mollusk that includes squids, octopuses and cuttlefish—and decapods—a type of crustacean including crabs, lobsters and shrimp—should be formally recognized and treated as sentient beings, reports Katie Hunt for CNN.

To be fair this refers mostly to how the animals are treated as they have been determined to feel pain, so they need to be kept and slaughtered humanely.

Still found the basic premise to be interesting. Apparently according to their rules, an animal must have a complex nervous system and be able to feel pain to be sentient. I always thought the bar was a little higher than that.

Lobsters are very closely related to kokroaches. Lobsters are delicious.

*please excuse the odd spelling. cockroach gets edited.

say-no-to-pot--lobster-in-pot-funny-lobster-tshirt-maine-tshirt-large.png

Reported for skirting the profanity filter.
I think he is pretty kocksure that his spelling is fine, after all referring to kockroaches isn't like going off half-kocked at a kockfight or anything, or even coldkocking a peakock.

I think he is pretty kocksure that his spelling is fine, after all referring to kockroaches isn't like going off half-kocked at a kockfight or anything, or even coldkocking a peakock.
For your blatant disregard for the profanity filter I am placing you on super double secret probation. Don't let it happen again.

Reported for skirting the profanity filter.
For your blatant disregard for the profanity filter I am placing you on super double secret probation. Don't let it happen again.
Look, it's either middle-school joshing of cosmic philosophy class. One more spitball and I'm locking you up in my Politicians are Birds thread.

Mods, please combine this thread with my Politicians are Birds thread. This is JFC. We can only have one thread at a time running on the issue of what comprises "sentient beings".

Look, it's either middle-school joshing of cosmic philosophy class. One more spitball and I'm locking you up in my Politicians are Birds thread.

Mods, please combine this thread with my Politicians are Birds thread. This is JFC. We can only have one thread at a time running on the issue of what comprises "sentient beings".
You've been locked up in a cage your whole life.

So I slipped off the high dive board and landed in an animal rights siteholding forth criteria for determining "sentience".

Offhand, having a spire and a central nervous system and/or brain/

Birds are considered by some to be "sentient", but I protest. A spine and a brain??? You have to have "functional" sentience. I claim that bird brains are 100% reflexive, lacking any moderation of inputs or responses.

Birds. Bird Brains.

Politicians are birds.

A virus can have more processing capacity than a politician.

Apparently the UK has passed a law that protects sentient animals. And apparently lobsters are among said sentient animals.

To be fair this refers mostly to how the animals are treated as they have been determined to feel pain, so they need to be kept and slaughtered humanely.

Still found the basic premise to be interesting. Apparently according to their rules, an animal must have a complex nervous system and be able to feel pain to be sentient. I always thought the bar was a little higher than that.
The bar should be set much lower.

Now Im looking buying seafood. thanks

This thread is a pretty good place to mention some really good sci-fi books that sort of kind of are related to this.

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

and

Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky

I listened to the audiobook vs reading them and the narrator is awesome, so if you're into audiobooks this is a good one for that.

I don't think this means that you can't eat lobsters in the UK, it just means they need to be treated humanely which probably means cooking them alive isn't okay.