What's new

Locke interviews Hayward

How about I stretch your face with my fist?

iPooqNb1zG2oU.gif

Hayward is obviously doing what his agent tells him. And that is show 100% indifference in returning to lure potential bidders. Millsap acted exactly the same before Portland intoxicated us with that offer sheet several years ago.

Hayward is far from irreplaceable. I say let him walk and draft Kyle Anderson out of UCLA with the Warriors' pick. He's projected to go 25th-ish in many mock drafts and has a similar size and skill set to Hayward. And his price tag will be around $10 million cheaper.

Hayward is far from irreplaceable. I say let him walk and draft Kyle Anderson out of UCLA with the Warriors' pick. He's projected to go 25th-ish in many mock drafts and has a similar size and skill set to Hayward. And his price tag will be around $10 million cheaper.

https://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1711/gordon-hayward: "At just 24 years old, Hayward was one of just four players to average 15 points, five rebounds and five assists. The others were LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Michael Carter-Williams."

He's no max player, and probably not worth much more than the $7 million-ish some have been suggesting in this thread at this point in his career, but "far from irreplaceable"? Come on. Hayward, as long as he's willing to back down from his "I can be the guy" attitude, has way more value to this franchise than a yet-to-be-drafted rookie with a similar skillset.

I have no problem with Hayward coming back, just at the right price. We can't pay a guy $12 million to be third banana on the team.

So what do you propose we pay a 3rd option? Look around the league and see what most 3rd options get paid. For instance OKC. Who is their 3rd best player and what do they pay him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a team will offer Hayward a hefty contract just to screw with us. We'll probably match, even if we decide to trade Hayward a year from now. Whatever rookie we pick up this year likely won't be ready for a leadership role for a couple years anyway. Jazz may move Hayward, but it will be at a time of convenience.

If we put enough talent on the floor, Hayward won't be facing doubleteams like he did this past year, and he'll look like a decent player again. He's worth Nic Batum money.

I just listened to it, does David Locke try to be funny like that every time? Somebody please tell him, he just isn't funny at all... really embarassing

https://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1711/gordon-hayward: "At just 24 years old, Hayward was one of just four players to average 15 points, five rebounds and five assists. The others were LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Michael Carter-Williams."

He's no max player, and probably not worth much more than the $7 million-ish some have been suggesting in this thread at this point in his career, but "far from irreplaceable"? Come on. Hayward, as long as he's willing to back down from his "I can be the guy" attitude, has way more value to this franchise than a yet-to-be-drafted rookie with a similar skillset.

Any new coach worth his wait will want a Jazz team with Hayward vs without. He would flourish under a guy like Messina. My guess is they overpay to keep Hayward if need be.

Yes, Locke is an unabashed Hayward fan, and rarely objective when it comes to him, but this interview was pure human interest fodder with no agenda.

If you want to talk logic you should get your facts straight. AK was never paid 17mil a year for 7 years. Plus AK was All-star. What did Hayward do to deserve 14 min a year?
Lindsey is not stupid. If he matches anything close to 14mil/year for Hayward I promise to leave this site and not post anymore. Self ban - that's it.

Crap! Now I want the Jazz to overpay Hayward.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So what do you propose we pay a 3rd option? Look around the league and see what most 3rd options get paid.
There are only 58 players in the league making $10mm+ this season, and some of those guys are being paid primarily for their defense. $12mm for a third option on offense is incredibly steep, unless that dude is also a defensive stopper.

Just went through and looked at the #3 scorers on each team (looking at end-of-season rosters). 20 of 30 #3 scorers are not on rookie scale contracts. The average salary of these players this season was $10.6mm (using Boozer, not DJ Augustin, as Chicago's #3 scorer). A couple of these players also serve key defensive roles: Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka. A bunch are considered terrible contracts: Bargnani, Carlos, David Lee, Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon (Deron, Deng, Bosh?).

The average salary of all 30 #3 scorers this season was $7.9mm.

Paying a player who is neither an offensive hub nor a defensive stopper $12mm+ per season is not smart.