What's new

Locke on Snyder

The most exciting thing about a new coach is the possibility of substitution patterns changing.

All through the Sloan and Corbin coaching era, I questioned the reasoning behind their substitution patterns. I just hope, that for once, I can watch the game and feel like we have the appropriate best 5 on the floor, regardless of how much they make or how old they are, and then I can live with the results. I thought Sloan and Corbin blew it on so many occasions when they were playing the wrong player(s). It always felt like Sloan and Corbin wouldn't hold their favorite guys accountable on defense. Like Boozer and Jefferson.

I hope to god and Santa Clause that those days are gone. I'm less worried about the X's and O's part. Just get the defensive accountability and substitutions right, and it will be a huge improvement.

Also, it doesn't hurt that the whole league won't know every single one of our plays by heart.

Cue the Sloan and Corbin supporters. Don't care though. I'm not the only one who feels this way.
A thousand times this.

I don't know about you, but I got this feeling that David Locke is extremely fed up with Enes Kanter's presence in the Jazz and at least I can say that he is not excited about him anymore. Is there a story behind this I am missing? Because I believe this had started BEFORE the interview Locke had with Kanter in which Kanter said some things about the coach and the given minutes.

Yeah, that line made me laugh as well. Didn't take away from my enjoyment of his description of Snyder's practice. Obviously it was early morning and he wasn't thinking completely clearly yet.

He looked messed up to say the least.

Why does he always shoots those POD casts early in the mornings? I understand that he has a busy schedule but nighttime is the perfect time to make the mind and mouth work faster than then rest of the day, is not it?

Here is how you run the team Quin:

Make everyone play die-hard defense. Trade anyone that lacks the motivation.

Build your team's individual and team-chemical weapons alongside this basic motive so that you will have something solid in your hands in a few years.

Defense always makes you overachieve.

Meh.

To me I can't trust anything Locke says. I remember how he want praises about Corbin before that disaster unfolded. To me, Locke is merely the loudspeaker for the Jazz. Zero credibility and will always paint a rosy picture. Can't wait until 3 years from now Locke turning on Snyder and praising Jerry Sloan's return to the bench...

I'm as excited as anyone about the Jazz. Snyder was a great hire and I've loved 3 of the last 4 picks (your guess as to who I think was an underwhelming pick). But I agree with The Thriller's observation. Locke only speaks what the Jazz want him to say.

Meh.

To me I can't trust anything Locke says. I remember how he want praises about Corbin before that disaster unfolded. To me, Locke is merely the loudspeaker for the Jazz. Zero credibility and will always paint a rosy picture. Can't wait until 3 years from now Locke turning on Snyder and praising Jerry Sloan's return to the bench...

I agree that Locke pretty much is in the orbit of the franchise and that shapes his actions and said words, but I cannot go that far and say that he always paints a rosy picture. Solely on this one, he said everyone sucked in the team, just merely maybe besides Favors and Hayward. And above all, I see DL rooting for Enes to achieve and I also see Locke to dislike Kanter.

But if Kanter gets a 4 or 5 year contract and Locke starts praising him again, I will come back at this thread or find you somewhere else and I will rep you.

Yeah, Locke has stated he expects us to be one of the worst teams in the West again. He also said Hayward isn't a max player, but the Jazz couldn't afford to lose him.

Yes, he will always try to spin something into an overall positive picture, but he doesn't flat-out lie or say something he doesn't actually believe in.

Yeah, Locke has stated he expects us to be one of the worst teams in the West again. He also said Hayward isn't a max player, but the Jazz couldn't afford to lose him.

Yes, he will always try to spin something into an overall positive picture, but he doesn't flat-out lie or say something he doesn't actually believe in.
Locke is pretty much Captain Obvious with those observations. If Locke doesn't believe what the party line is from the Jazz FO, then I'm convinced he just thinks about it long enough until he actually does see 5 lights.

So you were one of the ones he ignored?

What's the story?
Nope. I don't tweet so I'm no twit. I'm also not a big fan of Locke, but on those occasions that I do hear him he often flies off the handle on someone. He is very quick to judge and has almost no patience. He strikes me as a self-absorbed jerk. That said, he is obviously a hard worker and his access to the team gives him some great insights. He's also pretty smart. So if you are going to listen to him you sort of have to take the good with the bad. And speaking of bad, he's an awful play-by-play guy. He is much, much, much better as a sports talk show host.

Having lived in 4 NBA cities and listening to the locals in those cities - plus traveling a lot for work and listening to local broadcasters - I have to say that Locke is not a homer at all. Love him or hate him, calling him a homer is a lot less objective that what he says. Personally, not crazy about his style or how he comes across but I like his analysis and the way he approaches his job. I have no problem with Locke.

Having lived in 4 NBA cities and listening to the locals in those cities - plus traveling a lot for work and listening to local broadcasters - I have to say that Locke is not a homer at all. Love him or hate him, calling him a homer is a lot less objective that what he says. Personally, not crazy about his style or how he comes across but I like his analysis and the way he approaches his job. I have no problem with Locke.

Was LA one of'em?

The most exciting thing about a new coach is the possibility of substitution patterns changing.

All through the Sloan and Corbin coaching era, I questioned the reasoning behind their substitution patterns. I just hope, that for once, I can watch the game and feel like we have the appropriate best 5 on the floor, regardless of how much they make or how old they are, and then I can live with the results. I thought Sloan and Corbin blew it on so many occasions when they were playing the wrong player(s). It always felt like Sloan and Corbin wouldn't hold their favorite guys accountable on defense. Like Boozer and Jefferson.

I hope to god and Santa Clause that those days are gone. I'm less worried about the X's and O's part. Just get the defensive accountability and substitutions right, and it will be a huge improvement.

Also, it doesn't hurt that the whole league won't know every single one of our plays by heart.

(Even though we don't have vets where Snyder could screw it up)

Cue the Sloan and Corbin supporters. Don't care though. I'm not the only one who feels this way.

This is a little near sided.

Let me start by saying you need vets to win games. You can't just put 5 young guys on the court all the time, and expect to win consistently.

You also need to have some offensive fire power coming off the bench. I had no problem with Burks and Kanter coming off the bench, as this allowed us to keep pace with other teams. The only problem is that Corbin's vets sucked most of the time, and he should've played Burks and Kanter more minutes.

As for Sloan, it's completely retarded to question a HOF coach in Sloan. Sloan did have good vets at his disposal, and he utilized them. If he felt a young guy gave his team a chance to win they played and got minutes, and as far as Deron goes. He started his rookie season as the starter, and started off well, but then his play started to decline considerably, so he was benched, but the benching had a purpose. He was later put back as the starter and played better, and showed better effort. Later Deron even stated he was pissed about the benching, but he also recognized that it helped him be a better player.

Your argument is way off base. Ty not so much, but I never had a problem with Sloan's rotations and he got results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And for the record I have no problem with Burks and Kanter coming off the bench, but they need starter minutes. I do think this would help the Jazz win games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a little near sided.

I had to read that twice.
Nearsightedness.jpg