What's new

Locker Clean-out Discussion

I still wouldn't be surprised if a few of them do read stuff here. Players today are internet savvy and love to read everything everyone is saying about them.
It wouldn’t surprise me, I swear Donovan sees everything on twitter with some of the hate tweets he’s liked with accounts that have like 5 followers. I think Donovan especially reads social media, etc. constantly.

Just catching up on some of these. I loved Rudy's answers. He needs to improve strength and become more dangerous offensively. Definitely the two things he should be focusing on this summer.

That's not really true even right now. More like Rubio>>>>Exum. But by next year the difference could be negligible, and then the next 4 years Dante could easily pass him. I think the Jazz are going to lock up Dante, see how things develop next season, and then make a decision. Keeping Exum and assuming he is a rotation player next year will make it pretty easy to trade him if you decide to go with Ricky long term. Ricky could still get better as well with the Jazz developmental program. I think you just keep both guys but make sure to communicate with Dante that he has every license to take that starting job if he earns it. Then you plan to make a choice after next season. Of course if Exum gets a lowish number in FA that might make it easier to keep both for longer if you want.

I like Exum, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind signing him to a team friendly deal. But he has had four years to tap his potential and spent two on the side lines due to injury. I would not bank him passing Rubio any time in the next few years.

I like Exum, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind signing him to a team friendly deal. But he has had four years to tap his potential and spent two on the side lines due to injury. I would not bank him passing Rubio any time in the next few years.

Dante has some uniqueness to him that could make him extremely valuable. He made progress... his finishing was so much better... he was aggressive and his defense picked back up after last years decline.

I wouldn’t sleep on him.

This has been argued to death. I guess we'll just see what happens. IMO Exum still has a very high ceiling and has shown quite a bit since his return from injury in a really tough situation for a player. Either way it makes more sense to sign him and keep the asset in house so you can trade or play him as desired.

Bold prediction: Jazz aren't going to add a major piece via free agency either in 2018 or 2019. The focus is on keeping their own. And its just too hard to clear enough space under the cap.

Something will happen at the trade deadline next year involving picks, maybe a young prospect and the expiring contract of Burks and others as needed. That allows Utah to re-sign the players they want and not have to get under the cap to acquire a difference maker.

This has been argued to death. I guess we'll just see what happens. IMO Exum still has a very high ceiling and has shown quite a bit since his return from injury in a really tough situation for a player. Either way it makes more sense to sign him and keep the asset in house so you can trade or play him as desired.

Agreed. But only to a certain point. At no point do we sacrifice Rubio to keep Exum unless Rubio is benched in favor of X.

Found Favors' comments the most enlightening. Of course, his asking price could be too high, but at least it seems like he wants to stay.

The biggest thing for me this year is he used his speed to get where he wanted and finished so much better. I think his spot up three will get good enough and he is a disruptive defender.

He’s shown flashes as a passer... I don’t think he’s ever a traditional cerebral PG but I think he can be like a super Leandro Barbosa who is a lockdown perimeter defender. Like I can see the potential now... before it was so much more theoretical

Agreed. But only to a certain point. At no point do we sacrifice Rubio to keep Exum unless Rubio is benched in favor of X.
I'm fine with that. I would say it's unlikely that Exum unseats him next year no matter how well he plays unless Ricky just falls apart. But if the team feels he's ready to be a starter then I think you can let Ricky go. There are a lot of moving parts to the situation for sure. I'm actually really interested to see what year two Ricky looks like. I have been slow to warm up to him because of his bad first half but he was great down the stretch for the most part. I liked his comments as well about how he feels he has a lot of room to get better.

I think the team just needs to keep their options open.

Sadly we don't have any bad apples that would give us some juicy sound clips this year. Unfortunately we have a bunch of guys that like each other. We need to bring in Melo for the locker clean-out next year.

Why do we continue to argue Rubio vs Exum when we have the luxury and ability to have both? It's obvious that they both have the ability to play multiple roles on offense and defense. Embrace them both not just one.

I started the convo... if we want a good amount of cap space one of them is likely gone in 2019.

I still wouldn't be surprised if a few of them do read stuff here. Players today are internet savvy and love to read everything everyone is saying about them.

To them we might be the equivalent of reading YouTube comments, though. If I could advise a player I'd say don't read the boards. If I was a player I suspect I'd try to avoid them.

Bold prediction: Jazz aren't going to add a major piece via free agency either in 2018 or 2019. The focus is on keeping their own. And its just too hard to clear enough space under the cap.

Something will happen at the trade deadline next year involving picks, maybe a young prospect and the expiring contract of Burks and others as needed. That allows Utah to re-sign the players they want and not have to get under the cap to acquire a difference maker.
I hope you are wrong but you are probably right.

To them we might be the equivalent of reading YouTube comments, though. If I could advise a player I'd say don't read the boards. If I was a player I suspect I'd try to avoid them.

All people should avoid the boards not just players... you guys are all full morons.