What's new

Looking for a new team

For a good stretch there, the bench was awful. Jazz starters would outplay their opponents in the 1st quarter, often to the tune of a double-digit lead. Then they'd sub them out and the bench would promptly lose that lead and be down at halftime. 3rd quarter would be about staying near them in the score and then the group sent out to close the game would roar back and either win. . . or more likely, make a critical youthful mistake at the end that would cost them the game. Clutch time defense this season was atrocious.

Booker is an awesome dude, but mistake prone and struggles to shoot. Burke is out of the rotation. Johnson never should have been in it. Neto should be a 3rd PG. Lyles was hot trash to start the season and hot **** to finish it. I'm really excited about his future. Withey did well, but is obsolete if everyone is healthy. Pliess spent the year in Idaho.

Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Hood, Exum looks solid on paper, and I like the bench potential for Burks (if healthy), Lyles and Mack. That's 8 solid players. Jingles as a glue guy and Neto as the 3rd PG. That's 10 spots pretty well filled. Add the #12 pick - which I think will provide a decent developmental bench player.

If they can add an Alpha player, great. If not, let Booker leave, trade Burke and Pliess (frees up $6 million) and then add the best 4/5 players you can get your hands on to round out the bench. Pau Gasol is a guy that I'd make a run at. Think he'd fit the team well and has a good relationship with Snyder.

For a good stretch there, the bench was awful. Jazz starters would outplay their opponents in the 1st quarter, often to the tune of a double-digit lead. Then they'd sub them out and the bench would promptly lose that lead and be down at halftime. 3rd quarter would be about staying near them in the score and then the group sent out to close the game would roar back and either win. . . or more likely, make a critical youthful mistake at the end that would cost them the game. Clutch time defense this season was atrocious.

Booker is an awesome dude, but mistake prone and struggles to shoot. Burke is out of the rotation. Johnson never should have been in it. Neto should be a 3rd PG. Lyles was hot trash to start the season and hot **** to finish it. I'm really excited about his future. Withey did well, but is obsolete if everyone is healthy. Pliess spent the year in Idaho.

Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Hood, Exum looks solid on paper, and I like the bench potential for Burks (if healthy), Lyles and Mack. That's 8 solid players. Jingles as a glue guy and Neto as the 3rd PG. That's 10 spots pretty well filled. Add the #12 pick - which I think will provide a decent developmental bench player.

If they can add an Alpha player, great. If not, let Booker leave, trade Burke and Pliess (frees up $6 million) and then add the best 4/5 players you can get your hands on to round out the bench. Pau Gasol is a guy that I'd make a run at. Think he'd fit the team well and has a good relationship with Snyder.

I just got served

I think Trevor Booker is a keeper. He does so much for this team. If we can keep him for a decent price we should. Although I want Lyles to play more minutes. Booker should play 5 to 10 minutes a game unless he is hot.

Sent from my 0PM92 using JazzFanz mobile app

Booker isnt going to sign a contract to play 5-10 mpg. He is still young, he wants to play.

Booker isnt going to sign a contract to play 5-10 mpg. He is still young, he wants to play.
Probably not but I think the jazz should pursue resigning him. He will probably cost to much though but if they could get him on the same contract as before they should.

Oh noes, franklin might end up being a fan for another team,.. we might have to let him go for nothing... lets try to trade him before he goes. We'll trade him for another true fan who can bring us to a championship level fan base.

Probably not but I think the jazz should pursue resigning him. He will probably cost to much though but if they could get him on the same contract as before they should.

The comments Booker made post season where very "I loved playing here and I know Lyles is the future, thanks for having me".

I don't think he really wants to come back to be a 3rd PF, unless we overpay, which would be unwise IMO.

Great great post. Can I offer minor critique? I hate the notion that Jazz bench sux. Like how do u believe Booker Ingles Burke Burks is not good bench? Those guis are all solid NBAers. How u think we upgrade are bench on a budget? We are not San Antonio that everyone wants to play for minimum $.

First time caller long time listener. I will hange up the telephone now and listen to ur answer.
Lyles is a bench player too and isn't that bad. So is mack if the team is healthy.

We have a bench rotation when healthy of mack, burks, and lyles with a tiny bit of booker. That's not too bad.
(Assuming you go with a 9 man rotation and always have a few starters on the court)

1)2) I'm quite glad we spent the year to assess the talent that we had before we spent big-money on contracts for players that might have been obsolete given the players we now have. Would we rather have Lyles on a Rookie contract or Tobias Harris on a max? I'd rather spend the Tobias Harris money on two mid-level players like Crabbe and PJ Tucker

Background: Tobias Harris signed his current contract with the Orlando Magic. He's currently on the Detroit Pistons. He was traded.

Question: With respect to the signing of Tobias Harris, which team is better off today, the Orlando Magic or the Utah Jazz?

More background: Harris was traded in the first year of his new contract, with pretty much the maximum number of dollars and years committed relative to the day he became tradable.

I look forward to your answer.

The comments Booker made post season where very "I loved playing here and I know Lyles is the future, thanks for having me".

I don't think he really wants to come back to be a 3rd PF, unless we overpay, which would be unwise IMO.

He also said "I definitely want to stay, But I know its a business so I am not sure what is going to happen. Other teams are interested but I would love to stay." He said he definitely sees this team making the playoffs next year and a bright future and that makes him want to stay.

In another interview he basically says the same thing but adds in Lyles is growing and might make him expendable.

It would be foolish not to pursue Booker, his energy and hustle won us some games and I think his presence is great for the young players. He might cost too much or he might want a bigger role but that doesnt mean we shouldnt try. He likes the organization and likes the other players.

Last edited:
We NEED good point guard play.

Pretty much this has been my biggest disappointment. Injuries happen and you can't control it. But who is on your roster you can control. Exum needs to learn behind a quality vet. If DL doesn't go and try and sign/trade for someone this offseason I'll be pretty mad. It doesn't have to be the biggest name like Mike Conley. Just go get somebody that you can count on to run a NBA offense.

If the Jazz win one more game this year, make the playoffs, and make GS sweat a little in the first round this thread doesn't exist.
No one can tell me with a straight face it does.

You are exactly right. And that is what is so frustrating. The Jazz sat on 8 million and did nothing. Utah could have EASILY made the playoffs.

What's the point of having assets if you never do anything with them?

The Hornacek love is beyond ridiculous. I loved him as a player but he hasn't really done squat as a coach. I think he is a good coach and wish him well in NY but come on he isn't John Wooden.

Well, he won 48 games with less talent than Utah has right now. So...where does that put Snyder, who we just extended?

Well, he won 48 games with less talent than Utah has right now. So...where does that put Snyder, who we just extended?

Still finished as the 9th seed. What did the Jazz finish at this season? It's relative to the season played. East was garbage and league didn't have an Elite 4 that season.

Let's face it. The last 6 years have been nothing short of a train wreck. Even when they decided to wreck the train they couldn't even get it off the rails. They've let players walk for nothing to "rebuild", but they never actually rebuilt. Now we are hearing Hayward saying he thinks a lot about leaving for a contender, don't have any great draft picks, have an injury prone roster that was obviously bound for it (Burks and Favors), have wasted draft pick after draft pick but gotten lucky in the later rounds, fail to spend money to add assets last offseason, have passed up on some pretty sweet opportunities to add a killer point guard...

Tell me why I should stay loyal to an organization that refuses to put a product on the floor while dragging their feet raking in cash with the lowest payroll in professional sports? Do the Millers deserve my fandom? No.

See ya later, fairweather fan. We'll be thinking of you as the team continues to improve and compete at higher and higher levels. Have fun rooting for the Warriors, Spurs, Cavs, or whichever "winning" bandwagon you jump onto.

I don't post much, and to be honest my interest in the Jazz took a huge hit this past season for various personal reasons, but the jazz have done nothing lately to convince me to watch religiously like I used to.

I can see both sides of the argument in this thread. On one hand their wait-and-see, cake-bake plan appears to be sort of working, albeit slowly. They should have made the playoffs this year based on SRS, and they will probably make the playoffs next year for reasons already pointed out.

On the other hand, goddamn if this isn't the least interesting NBA team going right now. Rudy Gobert and his standing reach is our only moderately interesting storyline in the last several years. Can you imagine being an opposing announcer calling Jazz games? It would be torture. All you can say about our best players is that they seem to be getting slightly better each year, that they play the game the right way, and one day might knock on the door of the allstar game.

Check out the Jazz's attendance at away games:

https://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

Back in Deron's day we were much higher. That's because other teams could sell their fans on coming out to see our badass point guard play. Look at the timberwolves this past season. You can bet opposing marketing teams sold ticket packages with Towns and Wiggins yelling passionately on either side of the promo graphic. Favors and Hayward are going into their seventh season. It is too late for them to get this kind of hype. Their NBA fate is doomed to nice complementary guys, Kyle Lowry level stars in terms of name recognition.

This is bad, guys. Hype is important. Marketing teams can work with hype. Fans turn out to games because of hype. Right now, looking over the thirty teams, our Hype Index would be right down there with Brooklyn's, which is impressive considering how young this team is. You'd think we'd have something other than Gobert's defense to capture the imagination of fans.

That's the main reason I'm in favor of a huge shakeup this offseason. If the most compelling reason to watch next season is the return of an inexperienced and injured former fifth pick, I'm sorry but that's not going to make me count down the days until November. Another year of incremental improvement from within that--if injuries and fourth quarters start going our way--might get us fifty wins?

Ugh...

I mean, I'll still watch, but only because I don't really have anything better to do.

I see your point, but TBH I'd be pretty happy with 50 wins and a 4 or 5 seed. Don't really care about away attendance, or if opposing announcers have anything to talk about.

I don't post much, and to be honest my interest in the Jazz took a huge hit this past season for various personal reasons, but the jazz have done nothing lately to convince me to watch religiously like I used to.

I can see both sides of the argument in this thread. On one hand their wait-and-see, cake-bake plan appears to be sort of working, albeit slowly. They should have made the playoffs this year based on SRS, and they will probably make the playoffs next year for reasons already pointed out.

On the other hand, goddamn if this isn't the least interesting NBA team going right now. Rudy Gobert and his standing reach is our only moderately interesting storyline in the last several years. Can you imagine being an opposing announcer calling Jazz games? It would be torture. All you can say about our best players is that they seem to be getting slightly better each year, that they play the game the right way, and one day might knock on the door of the allstar game.

Check out the Jazz's attendance at away games:

https://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

Back in Deron's day we were much higher. That's because other teams could sell their fans on coming out to see our badass point guard play. Look at the timberwolves this past season. You can bet opposing marketing teams sold ticket packages with Towns and Wiggins yelling passionately on either side of the promo graphic. Favors and Hayward are going into their seventh season. It is too late for them to get this kind of hype. Their NBA fate is doomed to nice complementary guys, Kyle Lowry level stars in terms of name recognition.

This is bad, guys. Hype is important. Marketing teams can work with hype. Fans turn out to games because of hype. Right now, looking over the thirty teams, our Hype Index would be right down there with Brooklyn's, which is impressive considering how young this team is. You'd think we'd have something other than Gobert's defense to capture the imagination of fans.

That's the main reason I'm in favor of a huge shakeup this offseason. If the most compelling reason to watch next season is the return of an inexperienced and injured former fifth pick, I'm sorry but that's not going to make me count down the days until November. Another year of incremental improvement from within that--if injuries and fourth quarters start going our way--might get us fifty wins?

Ugh...

I mean, I'll still watch, but only because I don't really have anything better to do.
Basically, we need a star. And I agree.
The best way to get one is to hit a homerun in the draft. The jazz have a lot of draft picks coming up in the next few drafts. Hopefully we find our star.

We also could possibly get a disgruntled star (like cousins or harden) by using some of our assets (we have a lot of draft picks and good young unique talent on cheap contracts).

I don't see us getting a non disgruntled star any other way. Other teams don't typically trade them and they are not likely to come here in free agency.

Fish,
C'mon...the Jazz were 28th in payroll. So two teams were cheaper than the Jazz.
But I certainly know how you feel. This summer is make or break for me. If DL signs a couple of GOOD FA's or makes a significant trade, then I'm good. If the same ol', same ol' happens - ie drafting a young player, talking about improving the team, but then saying the market was overpriced, they like who they have and the real acquisition is player "x" coming back from injury, then I'll know making more money is more important than winning.

And perhaps the worst part of it is the Jazz are BORING. They can only compete by slowing down the game and trying to put the other team and their fans to sleep.

Last edited: