What's new

Lottery Standings

Do people not realize that if Al has a serious playoff run, we will be able to trade him for a late lottery pick?

If that happens, I think the chances of Al getting traded at all go down to slim and none. Utah has built some really good chemistry, and I doubt KOC will mess with it if we're a playoff team. I don't think we even have to have a serious playoff run. If Utah makes the playoffs at all, I'm betting KOC will keep both Al and Sap next year. IMO, playoffs this year mean that both Al and Sap will likely play out their contracts.

Here's a weird thought:

We have had the privilege to have another team's lottery pick for THREE CONSECUTIVE years, while being in the playoff chase for most of those three seasons. And yet, there are still people that are adamant that KOC is the worst thing since Hitler.

Al is probably one of the top 5 centers in the league right now, and he likes it here. Not sure a late lotto pick is the kind of return the Jazz would bite on.

Al is probably one of the top 5 centers in the league right now, and he likes it here. Not sure a late lotto pick is the kind of return the Jazz would bite on.

I simply do not believe Al is or should be in the team's longterm plans, but if the Jazz are trading, they'd better get a player out of it. This team doesn't need a higher quantity of good but non-homerun talent with less minutes to develop them.

I agree with Numberica. Jazz have a lot of good players, but they lack a great player.

I'm fine with getting back another really good player, so long as it's somewhat of a known commodity with some experience. And someone that doesn't play a position that's logjammed. Like... *cough*PaulGeorge*cough*

But a great player would be great too. I'm struggling to think of one that is even remotely available and that I'd want, unfortunately.

What is the likelihood that the 9th position moves up into the top 8 during the draft lottery? If there are any stats people around.

What is the likelihood that the 9th position moves up into the top 8 during the draft lottery? If there are any stats people around.

Shooting from the hip, I'm pretty sure that isn't possible. You can only jump into the lottery. Otherwise, you slide back. I'm pretty sure the 9th worst record won the lottery last year, though (which would be a kick in the pants).

I made a simulation of this last year. Come lotto time, I'll depress you fools by running the simulation over 1000 tests and give the results. For some reason, wiki doesn't have them.

I'll save you the trouble zoidberg. The 9th spot can only move up into the top 3 spots, or down to the 10, 11, or 12 spot. There is no scenario that will allow it to move up one spot.

I'll save you the trouble zoidberg. The 9th spot can only move up into the top 3 spots, or down to the 10, 11, or 12 spot. There is no scenario that will allow it to move up one spot.

That's why wiki doesn't have those probabilities. Well then my program is hog wash (unless I forgot this last year) and so are my skimming article skills.

Here's the probabilities:
If GS pick is #8

1st-2.8%
2nd- 3.3%
3rd- 3.9%
8th- 72.4%
9th- 16.8%
10th- 0.8%

If GS pick is *#9
1st-1.7%
2nd- 2%
3rd- 2.4%
9th- 81.3%
10th- 12.2%
11th- .4%

That's why wiki doesn't have those probabilities. Well then my program is hog wash (unless I forgot this last year) and so are my skimming article skills.

Here's the probabilities:
If GS pick is #8

1st-2.8%
2nd- 3.3%
3rd- 3.9%
8th- 72.4%
9th- 16.8%
10th- 0.8%

If GS pick is *#9
1st-1.7%
2nd- 2%
3rd- 2.4%
9th- 81.3%
10th- 12.2%
11th- .4%

Looks like we should probably want the 9th spot. It has only a 6.1% chance of moving up vs. a 10% chance of moving up if Golden State finishes in the 8th spot.

Isn't Golden States pick top 8 protected though?

GSW beat Sactown last night. That is a good win for the pick.

Edit: @Larryselbows - It is top 7 protected.

Goes to next year and becomes top 6 protected, I believe. If we don't get it that year, it turns into a pumpkin.

Or it can turn into Paul Milsap,Bryon Russell,Shandon Anderson, CJ Miles or Mo Williams.