What's new

Lowe Post Jazz Stuff

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
So Zach Lowe had some interesting stuff in his pod yesterday... Havent seen it discussed. There was the normal shot selection for DM is an issue stuff... floater range stuff, but there were some other things. He just kept saying something is not right there.

Specific interesting items:
- Mentioned we are passing like 50 times less per game than last year... so the ball is not moving. Assist rate shows us that and eye test would confirm but yeah... there is some selfish **** going on.
- Said to get to a contender level DM has to become a superstar... this is correct.
- Mentioned trading for Marcus Morris again and that Jazz Fans flipped out on his twitter last time he did saying we undersold Dante... I hope Jazz fans aren't this dumb and I think he is trolling @infection at this point.
- The interesting part is he seemed to think NY would consider Dante for Morris (or Dante/Bradley for Morris)… Zach is connected and I don't know if that specific trade is why this is interesting to me... It was interesting because it would mean Dante had some sort of mild trade value... if this is the case then we should strike. It would also mean that Dante may not be a negative in a trade... which I would consider his contract negative value.

Marcus Spears is on the pod but not as detailed as Zach... I like his stuff but he isn't as clued in (mentioned he though Bojan would be better... ummmm he's been great from the jump, also mentioned not knowing who the guy was that AD dunked on after they had already talked about Ed Davis).

Was curious if anyone else heard it.

The problem with trading Dante is paradoxical. If DL sees someone else value him enough to trade for him, he’ll go back and ask himself why he’s trading away someone that other people value, and it will reignite his hope and optimism.

It’s the Dante dilemma. The catch 22. The “we’re ****ed but we’re ‘being aggressive’” idea.

For reference, please see NWG. “Oh, other GMs are interested in his rights? Gotta sign him. See you later, Neto.”

- Mentioned we are passing like 50 times less per game than last year... so the ball is not moving. Assist rate shows us that and eye test would confirm but yeah... there is some selfish **** going on.

It's not selfish play. For the 1 billionth time its Quin calling too much isolation and too much single high screen. He's calling like 10-15% of the offense we've run in recent seasons. And that damn number might be generously high.

I'm sorry but I don't f****** buy that every single player on this team is just running isolation for the s**** and giggles. This is the offense Quin is calling.

It's not selfish play. For the 1 billionth time its Quin calling too much isolation and too much single high screen. He's calling like 10-15% of the offense we've run in recent seasons. And that damn number might be generously high.

I'm sorry but I don't f****** buy that every single player on this team is just running isolation for the s**** and giggles. This is the offense Quin is calling.

Call it what you want, but I can't imagine Quin is saying "please shoot the first available mid-range floater you get" I've seen some possessions that are selfish. Not in an evil way... in a way that we aren't playing for our teammates. I don't think you'd see the frustration on the players and comments after the game about coming together if they were executing what Quin is asking.

I feel confident that if Dante actually does have any trade value, he's gone by the deadline. This is the first year I've felt this way. I just don't think it's possible for DL to justify keeping him any longer.
The only people who value him are the Aussies in the Jazz Fanz, and I don't believe that one of them is actually a NBA GM.

Reactions: MVP
I'm blaming Donovan for his selfish play, not Quin. He's had plenty of opportunities to pass but instead he shoots. Even if his chance of getting points is better than the guy he would pass to it still hurts us because we stop functioning as a team. It's shortsighted.

I might be as big of an Exum homer this sight has but even I am done with Dante. That crazy fall I think his first or second game back could have easily been another season-ender. He also had to leave the game for a bit vs. The Lakers. Bambi just isn't growing up.

I feel confident that if Dante actually does have any trade value, he's gone by the deadline. This is the first year I've felt this way. I just don't think it's possible for DL to justify keeping him any longer.

I don't feel like he's gone for sure but this is the first time I've felt like if the Jazz had a chance to trade him for something that would help the team immediately they would probably do it.

There are times during the game, when Donovan is on the floor and Conley isn't, where the offense literally is for Donovan to get the ball at the top and create for himself and others off a screen. There are moments during the game where the same strategy is used for Mudiay. They would do the same for Exum if they were confident that he was ready.

I think the main problem the Jazz have is the defensive let down when Rudy is off the floor and guys like Jeff Green and Mudiay are on the floor. All it takes is for two non-defenders and non-rebounders to be on the floor at the same time to ruin a team defense.

We probably use this play 20 times a game. A high ball screen and then run towards the basket to see if there's anything there..... like a ****ing floater.

Mitchell’s performances over the past ten games are starting to feel like a over-sized version of the heartbreak I felt with Rodney Hood. Remember when he showed flashes of high-level PnR play, only to later develop a crippling case of tunnel vision? Yeah, we’ll DM is showing me the latter lately. Stock plummeting on the short-term.

Don't overcomplicate things. The major issue for this team is that we don't have a PF, which is why Quin has to keep experimenting those strange lineups that will never work.(i.e. Jeff Green at the 5, Royce at 4, Bojan/Ingles at 4, etc) Anything else is irrelevant. Acquire a NBA level PF from somewhere, and we will go right back into contention

Last edited:
I think Mitchell can be a top 10-15 player. He might flirt with being in the 8-10 range. He's probably top 15-20 right now. But he's predominantly a volume scorer somewhat similar to a Kyrie Irving, imo. I'm not sure he's ideally the #1 option on a championship team. I think Mitchell, Rudy and Bogdanovic could be #2, #3 and #4 on a championship team though. I just think that big, athletic wings dominate the league, and the Jazz don't have one.

Mitchell's an all star caliber player. Potential to be a top 10 player. I admit he's missed some passes and chucked a little. However, before this road trip he was pretty effective and efficient I expect him to rebound and only get better. So many DM haters on here.

It's amazing how quickly fans turn on players.

Donovan is the best young talent we have ever had. We brought in Conley to help Donovan, and he has done so much of the opposite. The summer strain of the world championships has taken their toll. We seem mentally fatigued.

Right now, we just aren't clicking. We aren't gelling. I think eventually, we will figure it out. Gobert needs to set screens, get the lob when it's there but don't whine for his touches. Conley needs to step up. Bojan learn the offense a little better. Quin coach better.

Donovan has to play better, but he is our future. He is a badass. Don't turn on him.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app