What's new

MEDIA DAY!!!!! ALL ABOARD!!!!!

So media day happened...now what?

Does anyone know where I can pick up a printed Jazz schedule? In years past it has been in Subway or McDonalds...anyone seen them around this season?

Starting to day training camp starts. That means tweets by Jazz writers and interviews giving us insights into the conditioning and progress of the individual players and the coaching system.

Then starting next week we have preseason games!!

I expect a major change in Burke's contribution. Especially a clear change in mentality as he tends towards passing from shooting.
I'll believe it when I see it.
He just needs to play faster more than anything.
Not going to happen till he stops looking for his shot first
NAOS will be happy.

Locke just asked Burks about a PG-less lineup with some combination of Hayward, Hood, Burks and Ingles.
God let this be!!!!
Burks also said that no matter bench or starter he is here to play hard.
Love me some Burks!!

It means that there is less fat on his face probably
Maybe his fat head won't get in the way of his shot and he can at least hit 40%

I'll believe it when I see it.

Not going to happen till he stops looking for his shot first

God let this be!!!!

Love me some Burks!!

Maybe his fat head won't get in the way of his shot and he can at least hit 40%

There you are Thee Jazz Fan!!! Welcome to the positive side!!!! (kind of)

Was looking through Burke's stats, dude is a Minnesota T'Wolves killer.

22.3/5.3/4.3/1.5 with 43% from the field and 37% from deep with 4.3 FTA per game.

What is it about Minnesota that lets Burke run a train on them? Is LaVine that bad of a defender?

I am late to the party and I haven't read through the whole thread so I am sorry if I am repeating anyone but David Locke is the worst. I watched the interviews and UtahJazz.com and out of every player he interviewed there was maybe one question he asked that I wanted to hear an answer to.

This guy is so uncomfortable and just the worst. PLEASE DAVID INTERVIEW OUR LOTTO PICK BUT DON'T ASK HIM ABOUT BASKETBALL TELL HIM STORIES ABOUT YOUR WIFE BEING A REPORTER IN KENTUCKY. WE'RE ALL DYING TO HEAR ALL ABOUT HER PAST EXPERIENCES IN KENTUCKY.

Locke Podcast notes: (some already stated in this thread)

- Burke most improved from offseason
- DL says the Jazz have room financially to make a move on PGs if needed
- He will try to have daily updates on twitter, snapchat and some other social media venue
- Added Uruguay to the list of locations that people listen to podcast
- Comments on road heavy initial schedule
- Snyder was positive on how his coaches had a good feel for where the team is defensively
- Snyder says the PGs need to be better on ball
- Mentions the need the Jazz have for a late game 1 on 1 player (I immediately thought of Hayward and Burks)
- Hayward talked about needing to make better late game decisions
- DL and Snyder trying to temper expectations a little
- Mentions that Booker just raves about Lyles
- DL mentioned that Pleiss needs some body work
- Praised Neto's lateral movement
- Marquett, Duke and Michigan head coaches had been in Utah with the Jazz
- Locke mentions Gobert's fire and desire to be the best
- Jazz head to Hawaii on Friday

It begins:

Jody Genessy: Derrick Favors said he gained between 10-20 pounds of muscle this offseason. #musclewatch
– via Twitter DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Hayward smiled when asked who gained the most muscle: “Rudy (Gobert) gained a lot of muscle. He did have the lowest starting point, though.”
– via Twitter DJJazzyJody

Aaron Falk: Alec Burks tore labrum & had to relearn how to shoot. Changed form, results have “been great, but we ain’t gonna know until the lights come on.”
– via Twitter tribjazz

Aaron Falk: Jazz open training camp with two-a-days today and tomorrow.

Well Favors is listed as 260 on ESPN, so gaining 10-20 LB of muscle would be ridiculous. Wish media day had official weigh ins.

Locke Podcast notes: (some already stated in this thread)

- Burke most improved from offseason
- DL says the Jazz have room financially to make a move on PGs if needed

Interesting to see those as the first two. Warning shot over Trey Burke's bow. Hope he is improved but put me in the camp of show me first.

A couple of thoughts regarding a few recent posts....

Someone mentioned Burke's shooting percentage, and someone mentioned the Jazz needing a 1on 1 player. I think the two are related, I think Locke mentioned this in tip off recently. Trey was trying to be the one on one guy, but that part of his game does not translate to the NBA. Lindsey or Locke talked about the spots and places that Trey was above average in scoring and where he was below, the Jazz study this, I expect them to make tweaks to put Trey in positions where he can succede....not in driving or 1on1 situations.

Hopefully, another player can step up to fill that 1 on 1 role. But as I look up and down the roster, there is not a lot to choose from. The Jazz identity is a bunch of great guys working together. Hayward has had his chances to be the "we need a basket" guy with only tepid results. Rudy and Favors haven't shown the skill set for getting a basket in crunch time. Perhaps, Alec or Rodney can be that 1 on 1 threat.

However they decide to work late game situations, I expect Trey to have the ball in his hands less in those times, and his season shooting percentage to go up.

Well Favors is listed as 260 on ESPN, so gaining 10-20 LB of muscle would be ridiculous. Wish media day had official weigh ins.

Not necessarily. If he weighed 260 lost 5 lbs of fat then gained 10 lbs of muscle he'd only be 265.

I completely agree about wanting a weigh in, along with other measurements, on media day.

A couple of thoughts regarding a few recent posts....

Someone mentioned Burke's shooting percentage, and someone mentioned the Jazz needing a 1on 1 player. I think the two are related, I think Locke mentioned this in tip off recently. Trey was trying to be the one on one guy, but that part of his game does not translate to the NBA. Lindsey or Locke talked about the spots and places that Trey was above average in scoring and where he was below, the Jazz study this, I expect them to make tweaks to put Trey in positions where he can succede....not in driving or 1on1 situations.

Hopefully, another player can step up to fill that 1 on 1 role. But as I look up and down the roster, there is not a lot to choose from. The Jazz identity is a bunch of great guys working together. Hayward has had his chances to be the "we need a basket" guy with only tepid results. Rudy and Favors haven't shown the skill set for getting a basket in crunch time. Perhaps, Alec or Rodney can be that 1 on 1 threat.

However they decide to work late game situations, I expect Trey to have the ball in his hands less in those times, and his season shooting percentage to go up.

I think Burks was built for this. He is elite at driving to the rim and very good at getting to the FT line. If his shoulder is as advertised then he should be better at finishing at the rim. I think our 1 on 1 guys will go in this order: Burks, Hayward, Hood, Burke.

I think Burks was built for this. He is elite at driving to the rim and very good at getting to the FT line. If his shoulder is as advertised then he should be better at finishing at the rim. I think our 1 on 1 guys will go in this order: Burks, Hayward, Hood, Burke.
Yup.

If Burks can be a legit threat from 3 point land then he will easily be out 1 on 1 player. Defenders will have to respect his jump shot AND his driving ability

If Burks can be a legit threat from 3 point land then he will easily be out 1 on 1 player. Defenders will have to respect his jump shot AND his driving ability

He shot a very high percentage from 3 at the start of last year, so I have high hopes!

Burks was pretty frank in his interview about why his percentage dropped inside: he couldn't use his shoulder. As you said, he's been very good at getting to the rim (before the injury). I think he can be the 1-on-1 guy we need. Hayward has the unguardable step back in his arsenal. He should be able to utilize that even more. And Rodney has the stop and pop jumper. Quin even praised his off-ball movement in the interview. Hood just gets to the open spots.

I've been one of the biggest Burke critics on the board, but I was very impressed with his interview. Pretty humble and he mentioned the need to look for better options deep in the clock. I have hope for Trey if words become actions.

I think he was joking. I actually wanted to see Favors slimmed down a bit this year, now that he knows he's going to be playing the 4.

Is there no open scrimmage this year? Normally it's been before any preseason games but the 1st preseason game this year is on Sunday?

Is there no open scrimmage this year? Normally it's been before any preseason games but the 1st preseason game this year is on Sunday?

The thought is the Jazz want to do something but the first preseason games in Hawaii are making things difficult.

Good point. I guess not :-(