What's new

Media day / training camp thread

Uhh bruh, just go look at COVID death rates in Trump counties vs non-Trump counties.

Of course not everyone who has opted not to vax is a Trump supporter. There are the super weird crystals are my religion type people too and then the general "the government is never to be trusted for anything" types, but the most common denominator is being Pro-Trump.
There are multiple reasons why people aren't vaxing. That is the data that tells the story but not much media coverage because it doesn't support the narrative.

I can understand why people put pressure or even bully others over their vaccination status. The consequences for their actions are significant and effect the entire public. OTOH, I do think the media focuses too much on the negative. Positive reinforcement is more effective than negative reinforcement in almost every case. As frustrating as it is, I don't think it's good to keep plastering dumb people in the media so we can shame them.

Over 90% of NBA players are vaccinated which is way higher than the general public. Unfortunately, the 10% are vocal and the media is trying to expose them for clicks. Brad Beal's and Jon Issac's comments make for a better story than what Bane or Morant said. Because of this, the NBA players as a whole are going to look like dumbasses and I feel like it's only going to add to the culture war. In reality, the NBA vaccination rate should be a success story and we should encourage the other 10% to meet the standard of Bane and Morant.

It’s disappointing and more damaging than something like Kyrie saying the earth is flat.

“It’s a personal choice” seems to be the neutral take for those who did get the jab…but I really wish there were more players like Desmond Bane who treat covid like a public health issue….which it is.
Kyrie is also out here liking some crazy internet **** about the vaccine and conspiracy theories. Its their bodies... their message could affect a lot of others though. Beal's comments mirror so many I've heard. "it was nothing when I had it" "what about the vaccine side effects" yada yada.... Its just weird to do "research" and come to the conclusion that the best answer is "nah thanks".

I would respect the hell out of a player that came out and said they didn't really think the vaccine was all that necessary for them, that they had some doubts on what was in it, that they have heard of breakthrough cases and all that ****... but they got the vaccine because while it ain't perfect it is the best solution we currently have. Imagine telling KAT its a personal choice and it aint that bad... side note... KAT is vaxxed right? He's not one of these guys right?

Kyrie is also out here liking some crazy internet **** about the vaccine and conspiracy theories. Its their bodies... their message could affect a lot of others though. Beal's comments mirror so many I've heard. "it was nothing when I had it" "what about the vaccine side effects" yada yada.... Its just weird to do "research" and come to the conclusion that the best answer is "nah thanks".

I would respect the hell out of a player that came out and said they didn't really think the vaccine was all that necessary for them, that they had some doubts on what was in it, that they have heard of breakthrough cases and all that ****... but they got the vaccine because while it ain't perfect it is the best solution we currently have. Imagine telling KAT its a personal choice and it aint that bad... side note... KAT is vaxxed right? He's not one of these guys right?

KAT is definitely vaxxed and called out others for making excuses to not get it.

I have seen some players like BG do what you're saying, but even when they do say that the line "it's a personal choice" always comes up. It appears to be the neural line NBA PR teams coached the players to say to not be divisive. They should have just told everyone to say they did it to protect themselves and the people around them like Ja and Bane. Feels like everything else is just a drama bait.

Quite honestly, I don't think asking every player if they got vaccinated is good for anyone. The media will eventually find the special Brad Beal case and make a story out of it. 90% of NBA players are vaccinated but the 10% (and more likely the extreme 1%) are going to be the narrative.

Uhh bruh, just go look at COVID death rates in Trump counties vs non-Trump counties.

Of course not everyone who has opted not to vax is a Trump supporter. There are the super weird crystals are my religion type people too and then the general "the government is never to be trusted for anything" types, but the most common denominator is being Pro-Trump.
Stop bad-mouthing the Crystal, man. You will experience zero-point negative karma and chi constipation, and nobody needs a plugged up chi-hole.

KAT is definitely vaxxed and called out others for making excuses to not get it.

I have seen some players like BG do what you're saying, but even when they do say that the line "it's a personal choice" always comes up. It appears to be the neural line NBA PR teams coached the players to say to not be divisive. They should have just told everyone to say they did it to protect themselves and the people around them like Ja and Bane. Feels like everything else is just a drama bait.

Quite honestly, I don't think asking every player if they got vaccinated is good for anyone. The media will eventually find the special Brad Beal case and make a story out of it. 90% of NBA players are vaccinated but the 10% (and more likely the extreme 1%) are going to be the narrative.
Wiggins may be giving up a bunch of dough... I'd want to know what his main hang up is. I don't even understand that line "its a personal choice". Does that mean its private, sensitive, what?

Media gotta ask... otherwise its the same old "what'd you work on this summer?".

Kyrie is his own deal... he's obviously a weirdo. Beal just seems kinda ignorant and vocal... not a great look.

Whiteside is funny. I wonder if he can actually become a fan favorite.

yeah after listening to him for sure i can see that happening. He was surprising how much he seems to have swallowed his ego and improved his self awareness Going to be real interesting to see how that plays out

yeah after listening to him for sure i can see that happening. He was surprising how much he seems to have swallowed his ego and improved his self awareness Going to be real interesting to see how that plays out
Seems very direct. I also think we forget how young these guys are. Not everyone matures as quickly as Donovan Mitchell. I think I'm all in on the Whiteside Experience. Give me all the goods and bads... I'm ready.

Pretty boring media day... exactly what you'd hope for. Great execution guys.

Seems very direct. I also think we forget how young these guys are. Not everyone matures as quickly as Donovan Mitchell. I think I'm all in on the Whiteside Experience. Give me all the goods and bads... I'm ready.

yeah i don't think a bit of crazy will do any harm .. just look at the Warriors for those years

Alston
James
Hughes
Paschall
Azubuike
Teague
Butler

I want someone to ask Erik what he meant to Donovan on Instagram 3 weeks before signing with the Jazz, telling Donovan "He needs to get out of Utah"

Main takeaways from reading jazz Twitter:

-Team thinks we lost to the Clippers because of injuries, didn't mention perimeter defense.
-Whiteside seems to be a media favorite, will have some nice sound bites this year.
- The team likes Butler, Paschall, Doke, etc., but won't see regular minutes as the 9 man rotation is set.

Didn't have time to listen or watch the full interviews. Did the media ask any good questions that I missed?

I’m excited for what Paschall and/or Whitesides can bring to this team in terms of attitude. I’m a firm believer that you don’t win an NBA title without having a Jae Crowder type of player on your roster. I think it’s pretty important for Utah to have somebody step up and be that guy because as it sits right now, our team is pretty damn soft.

Neither one of them have a game that resembles Crowder’s but we need a guy or two who isn’t afraid to get in somebody’s face and play with an edge- especially come playoff time.

I think Whitesides is more likely to become that guy for the Jazz but I’m still holding out that Paschall learned a few tricks of the trade in his 2 seasons playing with Draymond.