What's new

Mike Conley Contingency Plan

This doesn’t work either unless Thompson goes to a third team in the same deal.
Okay how about

Celtics get Conley and Favors
Jazz get Smart, Thompson and a few 2nd rounders (Boston has 1 this year, 2 in 2022, and 2 in 2023).

We then trade Thompson and a couple of those 2nd rounders to Charlotte for cap relief?

Is a double sign and trade Conley for Lauri Markannen even possible? Likely he signs for more then Mike but if we attach Favors we could bring back some junk from the bulls too?

I think the teams most likely to be interested in Favs:

-Portland for DJJ
-Sacramento - For Wright hopefully
- Washington - For Bryant (hurt now but expiring... they need a vet to steady the position with Gafford).
- Charlotte - for capspace
-NY maybe for Knox or space... we flip Knox to a third team.

Then there is the salary dump option in OKC... maybe swap #30 for a second and Kenrich Williams in the deal. Not many teams are trying to suck and have copious amounts of cap space.

Is a double sign and trade Conley for Lauri Markannen even possible? Likely he signs for more then Mike but if we attach Favors we could bring back some junk from the bulls too?
Rich man's Tibor Pliess.

Question for the capologists. I understand in the event that Conely leaves, we would need to move Favors to get under the tax/under the apron. Is there any benefit, capwise, to moving Favors if we re-sign Conley?

Question for the capologists. I understand in the event that Conely leaves, we would need to move Favors to get under the tax/under the apron. Is there any benefit, capwise, to moving Favors if we re-sign Conley?

Unless Conley signs way cheaper than expected I don't think so (other than of course the literal payroll bill).

Conley is itching to get to Chicago?

We don’t have to move Favors if Conley leaves only if we want to sign or trade for anyone.

Shedding Favors salary would significantly help the luxury tax bill if Conley comes back.

Depending on how much Conley signs for trading Favors would save us 27M+ on the luxury tax bill.

The NBA’s luxury tax delivers a stiffer penalty as teams continue spending. Exceeding $10 million beyond the tax, normally costs $2.50 for every dollar up to $15 million, $3.25 for every dollar between $15-$20 million, and $3.75 for every dollar between $20-$25 million.

Signing Conley at 15M would cost us a 48.75M luxury tax bill. Moving Favors would get that bill down to about 10.5M.

Last edited:
S&T's rarely ever happen for a reason.
Not true. The latest CBA has actually led to a spike in Sign-And-Trades the last couple years.

Link isn't working but just look up "How the NBA Fell in Love With Sign and Trade Deals". It's a great article.

"All in all, more than a dozen players went to new teams in a sign-and-trade in the last two offseasons. Another that would have sent Bogdan Bogdanovic to Milwaukee fell through when the Kings illegally tried to trade Bogdanovic before he’d agreed to a new deal with the Bucks. But the question remains, why do NBA front offices have a sudden obsession with the sign-and-trade? There are likely a few answers, but several can be traced directly to another trend that has developed in parallel with the S&T — the home run swing. Yesterday’s trade is a prime example: a team dumping all their long-term assets, including a boatload of future first rounders, to acquire a superstar. Milwaukee took their swing just weeks ago, sending out multiple 1sts and pick swaps for Jrue Holiday. It happened in 2019 as well, with the Clippers and Lakers both unloading young talent and future draft picks in exchange for All-NBA level talent."

Speculating on how much tax Ryan Smith is willing to pay seems pretty foolish.

Nobody is speculating that. Merely pointing out the huge luxury tax bill that comes with re-signing Conley and how trading Favors would help that significantly.

You think if you went to Smith and said we can pay a 48.75M luxury tax bill if we keep Favors or we can get that down to 10.5M if we trade him he is going to be like **** it pay the extra 38.25M to keep Favors.

Nobody is speculating that. Merely pointing out the huge luxury tax bill that comes with re-signing Conley and how trading Favors would help that significantly.

You think if you went to Smith and said we can pay a 48.75M luxury tax bill if we keep Favors or we can get that down to 10.5M if we trade him he is going to be like **** it pay the extra 38.25M to keep Favors.
Possibly. I think the Jazz are undoubtedly a better team with Favors on the roster than off if all we are trading him for is tax relief.

Hell if I know… are you sure he isn’t? It’s in the eastern conference where he has said he wants to sign. It’s close to home if he wants to get back to Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He also said he wants to win a championship, Boston gives him a real chance, Chicago doesn't. Although Conley/Lavine/Williams/Vuc is intriguing.

Speculating on how much tax Ryan Smith is willing to pay seems pretty foolish.
Why? Its fairly important... the luxury tax to run it back and add someone at the taxpayer MLE is like $61M. We weren't good enough this year to make the WCF... how many owners pay $60M+ in luxury tax for a team that isn't consider a favorite?

If you factor in repeater tax issues/costs the following year it could be a similar tax just to fill out the roster and keep the crew together (minus Joe Ingles).

The tax will be an over arching them of the next two offseasons... as much as we'd love to say "don't worry about it... Ryan will pony up" I just don't think he is giving JZ a blank check here. There will be budget cuts... its basically a certainty.

Hell if I know… are you sure he isn’t? It’s in the eastern conference where he has said he wants to sign. It’s close to home if he wants to get back to Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That eastern conference thing was rumor/speculation/not confirmed.