What's new

Millsap for Bledsoe?

A core of Bledsoe/Hayward/Favors/Kanter is exciting provided we can acquire and properly use some great shooters around them but that won't happen because Corbin is our head coach. :(

The Clippers would be smart to try and add some help for the run. For the simple fact it shows Chris Paul they will try to contend instead of being complacent. After all, Chris Paul is theit main priority now. Holding on to Bledsoe for the reason that you need him as insurance just says to him the wrong things. Unless Chris likes having a good backup over a nice third big. The Clippers need to show Chris Paul that they intend to contend. Thats their best move.. Millsap might not be the best move, but trading Bledsoe for significant help is. This is an important summer for them.

For the record though, I think Chris Paul re-signs regardless if they make a trade. But just to be sure, they might want to just in case.

Yep

"@saltcityhoops: The rumors about the Jazz going after Bledsoe run entirely counter to some conversations wherein I was told the Jazz aren't interested. FWIW"

"@saltcityhoops: I was told "the numbers are low and he isn't a good 'Jazz' fit, on or off the court." I still think they'd take him for certain players."

The popular belief would be that he isn't a great fit because he's not known for being able to shoot the 3's, so he won't help us spreading the floor the way Mo was able to do earlier in the season.

I've got a different theory though. I've seen Bledsoe play and I remembered taking these points away as it relates to the Jazz:

- He can beat his defender with ease with his dribble penetration - that's his game.
- He can do it every possessions if he wanted to. He is THAT good.

- Once he beats the defender, so many options opens up for him.
- He can take it all the way to the rack if there's no help defense.

- If help defense arrives then:
- He can lob it to Favors for easy Alley Hoops.
- He can pass it to Kanter who just stepped back for a 12 footer.
- He can pass it to Hayward/Foye/DeMare/Marv. for a 3 pointer.

So I think he can be a great fit. Our team as a whole ATM lacks someone who can easily break down the defense with a dribble/drive game - and I think Bledsoe can do that for us pretty effectively. Moreover, with the players that we have currently, I think they compliment Bledsoe's game pretty good as well.

Thoughts?

Bledsoe's numbers seem to suggest he can hit the open 3.

Which is all you really want from a PG.

Wouldn't you guys rather have a PG who passes the ball every now and again?

How would this deal preclude us from finding this golden goose? Bledsoe can play minutes at the 2, so you make this deal and continue searching.

If we keep Big Al do we really need a pg that can create? All the Jazz do now is just dump the ball down to him. He clogs the paint. We need to move Big Al.
Al will be gone at years end at the very latest.

The popular belief would be that he isn't a great fit because he's not known for being able to shoot the 3's, so he won't help us spreading the floor the way Mo was able to do earlier in the season.

I've got a different theory though. I've seen Bledsoe play and I remembered taking these points away as it relates to the Jazz:

- He can beat his defender with ease with his dribble penetration - that's his game.

So I think he can be a great fit. Our team as a whole ATM lacks someone who can easily break down the defense with a dribble/drive game - and I think Bledsoe can do that for us pretty effectively. Moreover, with the players that we have currently, I think they compliment Bledsoe's game pretty good as well.

Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. Also Bledsoe is not the inept 3 point shooter some here make him out to be. He's no Foye but he's a threat and can make it consistently if left open.

This is a pretty simple decision for the Jazz. The Jazz could lose Millsap for nothing in return, and Bledsoe is better than nothing. Quite a bit better actually.

As for whether he's the perfect point guard for the Jazz is a completely different question that isn't even all that important at the moment.

This is a pretty simple decision for the Jazz. The Jazz could lose Millsap for nothing in return, and Bledsoe is better than nothing. Quite a bit better actually.

As for whether he's the perfect point guard for the Jazz is a completely different question that isn't even all that important at the moment.

This is assuming that the Clippers are actually proposing this as is. We don't know that, we just know that there have been talks.

I'm guessing they will fully explore how to get Garnett, then if that becomes impossible, may focus their efforts on Millsap. Or they may just stand pat and try to deal Bledsoe next year, since he does have another year on his contract.

Can the Clippers even feasibly sign Millsap and Paul? I don't think they would trade for Sap unless they thought they could realistically keep him past this year. Millsap is good, but I don't think he is good enough to warrant a half-year rental at the expense of a good asset that could yield a player who is under a longer contract (but lesser player) or draft picks. I'm assuming we would have to throw in some 1st round draft pick for the Clippers to consider.

Thoughts?
His AST/TO ratio suggests he is not exactly Tony Parker. If he can turn into poor man's version of one it would be nice but it's not his first year in the league.

This is assuming that the Clippers are actually proposing this as is. We don't know that, we just know that there have been talks.

I'm guessing they will fully explore how to get Garnett, then if that becomes impossible, may focus their efforts on Millsap. Or they may just stand pat and try to deal Bledsoe next year, since he does have another year on his contract.

Alright, let's say its:

Odom + Bledsoe FOR Millsap + Fillers + our '13 pick

Would you do that?

Yeah, but if we have to give up the Warriors pick/our pick, is it worth it? Would we rather have a shot at getting Burke, or would we rather have Bledsoe?

His AST/TO ratio suggests he is not exactly Tony Parker. If he can turn into poor man's version of one it would be nice but it's not his first year in the league.

If you go and re-watch the Celtics game - you'll see that the potential is there in terms of assists. It's not his first year, but remember he's been out injured for a lot of it as well.

I'd like to see the Jazz make this trade, just to clean up the logjam in the front court. And it's bittersweet since Sap at one time was my favorite Jazz player of all time, and still in the top 5 list.

I'd be on the fence. Just not a huge fan of Bledsoe, even though I think he would be interesting.

I'd rather deal our pick though than the Warriors.

Yeah of course. Me too. The pick is really just a sweetener to get Clippers to bite.

We can then use GSW pick on the BPA of the SFs.

Can the Clippers even feasibly sign Millsap and Paul? I don't think they would trade for Sap unless they thought they could realistically keep him past this year. Millsap is good, but I don't think he is good enough to warrant a half-year rental at the expense of a good asset that could yield a player who is under a longer contract (but lesser player) or draft picks. I'm assuming we would have to throw in some 1st round draft pick for the Clippers to consider.

You're thinking from the Clippers' perspective. From their perspective, yeah I don't know if I'd do the deal. There's no real guarantee that Sap re-signs with them. There isn't a 100% guarantee that Paul will sign with them. Millsap may not put them ahead of the Spurs or OKC. If the Jazz throw in one of their picks so that the Clips can draft a PG or another player this year, that helps them hedge on losing Bledsoe. Still, the whole premise here is that the Clips need to win now and roll the dice. Similar to how KOC took advantage of the Nets.

Edit: If I'm the Clips, I try to get KG for DAJ and Bledsoe. That's their best move. Unless they want to go after Josh Smith.

Yeah of course. Me too. The pick is really just a sweetener to get Clippers to bite.

We can then use GSW pick on the BPA of the SFs.

Yeah, but if they have no chance of re-signing Millsap then it doesn't become a sweetener, it becomes the main part of their take of the trade.

They will have Griffin and Paul maxed out.
Jordan around 10 million.
Butler around 8 million.

Millsap will command in the range of 10-12 million, unless he gives some sort of discount to playing for a Championship contender. I'm not capologist, so I don't know how economically feasible that is for the Clippers, who have a notoriously cheap owner, for them to pay that much money to a 6th man.