What's new

Mitchell about to get hit with a fine

L2M report says Hill's defense on Mitchell was clean.

The last two minute reports are extremely ref friendly... that was a foul and it wasn’t the Harden LoPo through foul... he was trying to get his arms up to shoot... bad missed call and even worse analysis.

The last two minute reports are extremely ref friendly... that was a foul and it wasn’t the Harden LoPo through foul... he was trying to get his arms up to shoot... bad missed call and even worse analysis.
Why is NBA officiating such **** and petty? You'd think they'd have some dignity and actually want to make good calls. Seems like too many people with no self respect get into the reffing biz. If I was one I'd want to be known as the best in the league instead of being infatuated with being in dick measuring contests and subtle passive aggressive ********.

It's so weird that they'd recognize the Hill foul on Mitchell as a missed call when it didn't change the outcome of the game, but not now when it clearly did.

So very weird.

Why is NBA officiating such **** and petty? You'd think they'd have some dignity and actually want to make good calls. Seems like too many people with no self respect get into the reffing biz. If I was one I'd want to be known as the best in the league instead of being infatuated with being in dick measuring contests and subtle passive aggressive ********.
Because by the time you get to that level, you’re absorbed into the bureaucracy that has a mind of its own. You’ve spent years learning how to fit in to that culture. By the time you’re there, you feel like one of the group, and your thinking and bias has changed. You witness everyone hating your calls so it makes it really easy to ignore any reason for self-reflection. And you’re working for a business. A business whose success means your success, and you want to be a good company guy, and having spent years on the inside, you recognize the nuance, or perceived nuance, of making a successful entertainment package with long-term viability, even if you despise those who consume the product — because they sure as **** hate you.

But yeah, no ethical reformer is going to come into the fold without being brought down a peg or two. I don’t say that with any inside knowledge of the NBA, but because that’s how everything functions everywhere.

When I look at the replays, i first look for if there is direct visual evidence showing the exact location of the contact clearly. I don't think there was. You sort of have to piece together in your mind where you think contact occurs, which is where you need to allow for a reasonable margin of error. To me, the replays show a lot of ball contact, some hand contact (with the possibility of wrist contact but inferred)..
In that case it is reasonable that they would have called it clean.

Even though I believe what Donovan says about where contact was made (because he would have felt it), it's hard to neutrally prove it on the replay which is why the ref's no call gets the benefit of the doubt. At least that's my thought process on it.

I think people need to realize that the NBA is a business first and a competitive arena second. 99% of the time you don't get that call at the end of the game on an opponent's floor, that's just the way it works, and for obvious reasons. We didn't lose that game in the closing seconds, and I'm not going to try to pin it on any one of: hero ball, or Conley's poor shooting, or Jeff Green's lack of production, or Bradley's poor defense either, though they all contributed. That's a good young team and they just totally outplayed us. The only thing that kept us around was that bizarre disparity in fouls called in our favor. We took 32 free throws to their 13 and shot 20 of them in the third quarter. We lose by double digits if the game is called more judiciously IMO.

I think people need to realize that the NBA is a business first and a competitive arena second. 99% of the time you don't get that call at the end of the game on an opponent's floor, that's just the way it works, and for obvious reasons. We didn't lose that game in the closing seconds, and I'm not going to try to pin it on any one of: hero ball, or Conley's poor shooting, or Jeff Green's lack of production, or Bradley's poor defense either, though they all contributed. That's a good young team and they just totally outplayed us. The only thing that kept us around was that bizarre disparity in fouls called in our favor. We took 32 free throws to their 13 and shot 20 of them in the third quarter. We lose by double digits if the game is called more judiciously IMO.
An equal number of fouls called on each team has nothing to do with a game being called fairly.

For the record while I'm irritated about the call, I find it hard to get too outraged about the outcome. The Grizzlies outplayed the Jazz yesterday and deserved the win, unfortunately.

For the record while I'm irritated about the call, I find it hard to get too outraged about the outcome. The Grizzlies outplayed the Jazz yesterday and deserved the win, unfortunately.
Did they though? The Jazz were one completely bogus no call from winning the game. Seems like despite the teams ***** play they deserved the win if Donovan hit 2 of the 3 free-throws.

If it's on the ball it's ok to hit it. Clearly, there was a foul. Hand of defender actually took Donovan's wrist (not touching the ball) causing him to lose the ball. Definite foul. Who cares? Donovan needs to be better in clutch situations, play calling as well probably. Shame this has happened to him three times, out of four losses. Utah losing to Memphis is a colossal failure of many systems, not just a play here or there.

Hand is.
I watched it from numerous angles and no way I can clearly say he was hit on the arm. Hand yes, but that is ok according to the rules.

I saw wrist and forearm but wtf ever...

Hand is.
I watched it from numerous angles and no way I can clearly say he was hit on the arm. Hand yes, but that is ok according to the rules.
Then you are blind as ****. He hit Mitchell on the forearm and wrist area, and didn't even touch the ball. And the NBA not admitting the mistake is absolute ********.

Also, I remember AK47 getting called for a foul on Dwyane Wade for barely touching his hand after the shot had already been released (i.e. had no impact on the shot), so doubt hand being part of the ball is a rule that is enforced.

Did they though? The Jazz were one completely bogus no call from winning the game. Seems like despite the teams ***** play they deserved the win if Donovan hit 2 of the 3 free-throws.
Yeah, I kind of hate the narrative that the team shouldn't let the game get to the point where the refs dictate the outcome.

Of course they could have played better but they made a lot of big plays, Rudy especially, to give themselves a chance to win the game at the end, and a poor call robbed them of that chance.

Hand is.
The part of the hand touching the ball is part of the ball... if you follow through on a shooter in a high five and **** up they follow through it’s a foul... hand is part of the ball is one of the most misinterpreted rules... it was a foul and they are being spineless douches.