What's new

Nate Wolters, Jazz future starting point guard?

I thought this was interesting. This comes from David Aldridge's PG Draft Board.

South Dakota State's Wolters has been a monster scorer for the last couple of years for the Jackrabbits, a distinction he made clearer this season with a 53-point effort against Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne, the biggest scoring game in the nation this season. Wolters led SDSU to the NCAAs again, finishing fourth in the country in scoring at 22.4 ppg.

And despite having to carry the scoring load, Wolters added 5.8 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game, shooting better than 48 percent from the floor, as the Jackrabbits ran through the Horizon League. Though there are the usual questions about his ability to guard quick points, Wolters has some strong NBA supporters.
"I think he's a little better than people might want to believe," a Pacific Division executive said. "He's got enough size for the position. He's got skills. And he can shoot it ... putting that ball in the hole, that's what it's all about."

Another executive said Wolters reminded him of former Jazz guard Jeff Hornacek.

"He's better defensively than you think," the executive said. "There's a reason Burke struggled the other day [Michigan beat SDSU in the second round of the tournament, but Burke shot just 2 of 12 from the floor, with Wolters checking him frequently]. I think Nate is a cut above the rest of the [late first-round] names. His size, his feel, his scoring ability is better, I think ... his jumper is a little low and in front of him, but it's something that can be fixed easily. He doesn't sit down and slide defensively, but he's much quicker than people think. I think he's going to be much better in the individual workouts than people think."

Wolthers was a little better than I thought especially on D. However he isn't going to finisher at the rim in the NBA. He has very little lift and a setshot instead of jumper.

All that said he might be worth a 2nd pick.