What's new

NBA SUMMER LEAGUE 2018

That was a slow rotation and a half *** block attempt with no vertical.
Hard to rotate on time when a guy gets completely blown by like that. Rudy would be chewing Grayson out. Bradley is there earlier and its an easy kick out for 3. Good defense starts at the point of attack.

Haven’t had a chance to watch a summer league game yet. I saw that Allen is shooting 26% through summer league on a high volume so far. What’s the general thought on that?

Watched the Warriors/Clippers game last night... Jerome Robinson can't play D confirmed. Ole ole ole

On that play Bradley is in position to help and guard the kick out to Swanigan at 3.

Bradley isn't Gobert. He can't completely erase garbage defense from the perimeter. He rotated well all things considered, he just can't jump high and when your guard allows an elite athlete a free lane with 0 resistance, that's what happens.

Its just ridiculous to act like him getting dunked on means he can't be a NBA center when guys get dunked on nearly every game. It happens.

I know it's not the same draft, but picked at around the same spot, I'd rather have Mo Wagner than Tony Bradley at this stage.

At least Wagner can shoot the 3's.

We know what Bradley is defensively. He's a positional size defender. His defensive ceiling is Marc Gasol, which in the more modern context isn't as good as it use to be. He has three games of good defensive performances. Today was rough because of the fouling. It wasn't because of that Baldwin play.

If Bradley was faster he would have taken away the baseline. I'm not going to freak out over one play: the guy is 20, still learning, and his specialty is getting offensive boards and getting easy buckets. He's going to be a heck of a lot better in five years.

Haven’t had a chance to watch a summer league game yet. I saw that Allen is shooting 26% through summer league on a high volume so far. What’s the general thought on that?
He's not in basketball shape yet. You can't play hard on both ends and be good offensively when you are not in condition. He'll get there. He is stealing at a decent clip though.

Tony Bradley was such a weird pick though. He can't play the 4 in today's NBA, so he's always going to play behind Gobert. How many minutes can he get MAX a game as a backup center? 15??

Why not draft a guy who could play a wing or potentially a 4, and develop him instead?

I'm still scratching my head over that pick.

On that play Bradley is in position to help and guard the kick out to Swanigan at 3.

Bradley isn't Gobert. He can't completely erase garbage defense from the perimeter. He rotated well all things considered, he just can't jump high and when your guard allows an elite athlete a free lane with 0 resistance, that's what happens.

Its just ridiculous to act like him getting dunked on means he can't be a NBA center when guys get dunked on nearly every game. It happens.

It does happen and I am glad he still attempted to block it. But he saw the play developing and was just really slow on his movement to get over. If its anyone other big for the Jazz they get there in time. If he was faster with his foot speed or could jump higher he would have got there and contested it. The jumping ability is less of the issue though. If he is faster he shuts that down before he even starts to jump. Its okay, he just has to be smarter and read and react faster.

Just because the wing played poor defense does not mean he also cant play poor defense.

It does happen and I am glad he still attempted to block it. But he saw the play developing and was just really slow on his movement to get over. If its anyone other big for the Jazz they get there in time. If he was faster with his foot speed or could jump higher he would have got there and contested it. The jumping ability is less of the issue though. If he is faster he shuts that down before he even starts to jump. Its okay, he just has to be smarter and read and react faster.

Just because the wing played poor defense does not mean he also cant play poor defense.
He saw the play developing sure, but I don't he expected for it to be a free drive. Grayson didn't make any physical contact on the DHO and just let him turn the corner with no bump or resistance. He does any of that and Bradley is there in time.

And again, every Jazz player has been dunked on in similar positions because of bad perimeter D. Gobert has been dunked on like that before because he's trying to guard two players at once and the primary point of attack defender hasnt done his job of staying connected to the ball handler to allow the time for him to rotate.

He saw the play developing sure, but I don't he expected for it to be a free drive. Grayson didn't make any physical contact on the DHO and just let him turn the corner with no bump or resistance. He does any of that and Bradley is there in time.

And again, every Jazz player has been dunked on in similar positions because of bad perimeter D. Gobert has been dunked on like that before because he's trying to guard two players at once and the primary point of attack defender hasnt done his job of staying connected to the ball handler to allow the time for him to rotate.
I agree that the defense was poor on the wing. Yes, plenty of our bigs have been dunked on in those situations. This one was very slow movement to get over after he saw what was happening. Its summer league and reactions are slow so its not a big deal. That doesnt mean he did what he was supposed to or did his best, and/or his lack of athleticism wasnt on display.

Tony Bradley was such a weird pick though. He can't play the 4 in today's NBA, so he's always going to play behind Gobert. How many minutes can he get MAX a game as a backup center? 15??

Why not draft a guy who could play a wing or potentially a 4, and develop him instead?

I'm still scratching my head over that pick.
Because BPA.

I agree that the defense was poor on the wing. Yes, plenty of our bigs have been dunked on in those situations. This one was very slow movement to get over after he saw what was happening. Its summer league and reactions are slow so its not a big deal. That doesnt mean he did what he was supposed to or did his best, and/or his lack of athleticism wasnt on display.
The point is that play isn't "unacceptable" and Bradley wasn't the worst defender in that action.