What's new

NBA to announce new TV deal on Monday

My2Cents

According to Rich Sandomir. Would have a huge impact on extensions.

NBA to announce $24 billion/9 year deal w/ ESPN and TNT on Monday. Annual average value nearly 3x current deal.
Annual avg value of new NBA deal soars from about $930M to $2.66B. New deal starts after 2015-16 season.

David Locke
With the newly reported TV deal, teams salary cap could be around 88 million. Hayward's 16 million becomes 18% of the cap. Non issue

Last edited:
The ONLY people who should be happy are the owners and players. The rest of the people "The fans" just got taken. Higher tv prices. Higher ticket prices. That all looks to hurt small market teams again. I've heard about this deal being a potential NBA killer. Only time will tell.

The people that will pay for this will be the advertisers. You're aware of how life works, right?

I wonder if in the new deal, league pass broadband will still be blacked out for games if you are in the service area?

The ONLY people who should be happy are the owners and players. The rest of the people "The fans" just got taken. Higher tv prices. Higher ticket prices. That all looks to hurt small market teams again. I've heard about this deal being a potential NBA killer. Only time will tell.

How is the fact that the league gets a ****load of more money from their tv deals going to result in higher ticket prices at the gates?

So does this change how any of you feel in regards to how Hayward's contract affects the team going forward?

In case anyone's wondering how Locke got to that $88mm cap figure (which seems fairly accurate), here's the relevant info from Larry Coon's FAQ:

The salary cap calculation beginning in 2012-13 takes 44.74% of projected BRI, subtracts projected benefits, and divides by the number of teams in the league[SUP]1[/SUP].
LINK

Assuming benefits don't increase, the new deal should by itself raise the cap by the increase in broadcast revenue ($2.66B - $930mm) multiplied by 44.74% = $25.8mm. This year's cap is set at just a bit over $63mm, so the extra broadcast revenue should by itself increase the cap to about $89mm. Effectively, if other revenues continue to increase as they did last year, the cap could be above $100mm by the 2016/17 season, representing more than a 50% total increase over the 2014/15 cap. Any news on when this deal will be included in Basketball Related Income?

So does this change how any of you feel in regards to how Hayward's contract affects the team going forward?
It makes me feel alot better about it

How is the fact that the league gets a ****load of more money from their tv deals going to result in higher ticket prices at the gates?

The higher TV deal means higher contracts. Higher contacts will not be fully covered by the TV deal. Simple economics.
Your $40 tickets will creep up to 45 a few years later 50 and so on.
Many thousands of people are now getting rid of satellite and cable packages and going with roku. Netflix. Amazon fire tv. Apple TV and so on. This tv deal is not a good thing for anyone but the players and owners.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

^The ticket prices will go up in the future independent of TV revenue, not because of it. The two are mostly unrelated except that the increases are due to inflationary and popularity issues related to the same product.

^The ticket prices will go up in the future independent of TV revenue, not because of it. The two are mostly unrelated except that the increases are due to inflationary and popularity issues related to the same product.

^ Simple Economics

I'll be curious if this ups League Pass costs. I don't do cable... Netflix, Amazon and LP via Xbox is perfect for our fam.

Don't really mind the costs going up though. As the fan base expands the league should profit. It's entertainment, so a completely optional expense for me. If I don't want to pay I don't have too.