What's new

NBA to announce new TV deal on Monday

No. I explained all this two days before the Hayward contract. This number is big, however, and Hayward just went from fairly paid to an absolute bargain.

The Favors deal is unreal. Equivalent to less than $8,000,000 under last season's cap.

Other smoothing mechanisms would need to involve the union, and the league is open to that. Some team executives have floated the idea of retroactively bumping up existing contracts that carry into the new TV deal, to make sure those players get their share.

It will be interesting to see if they do this.^ link

It will be interesting to see if they do this.^ link

Thanks the link. I think they should look into this hard and deep. It's in the team's best interests too. If not, teams will have way too much cash and will stick themselves with toxic contracts in bidding wars. Better to control the situation by getting ahead of it.

But I don't think Hayward's deal should include a bump since it was based in this number.

This pretty well guarantees a lockout in the future. With all this money, no way the players are going to agree to the status quo next time around, and no way the owners can whine about how much money they're losing. Players are going to want more of the money, and now they've got leverage to get it.

This pretty well guarantees a lockout in the future. With all this money, no way the players are going to agree to the status quo next time around, and no way the owners can whine about how much money they're losing. Players are going to want more of the money, and now they've got leverage to get it.

If they just roll on with the deal they`ve got today, they`re all in for massive salary increases. I`d be pretty happy with that. What you are talking about is also a strike, not a lockout.

I see a huge fight over the possible elimination of max contracts. Rest of the league better wake up and realize this will impact the mid-level vets the most. Give players 40-50% of a team's cap and salaries will get squeezed in the middle.

I see the owners pushing for a hard cap. We're in for another labor stoppage.