What's new

NBA's proposed lottery changes bad for Jazz

oldtimer

The NBA is proposing new lottery rules that levels the odds of getting the top 3 or maybe even the top six picks. I think that hurts the Jazz in their current state. I believe the Jazz are going to be in the bottom five for the next several years. Why would we even consider changing the system until we are a much better team? Even if we improve over last year, and I believe we will, we still play in the Western conference. It is going to be hard to win a lot of games until we get more talent. I hope any lottery changes come several years from now.

Yup agreed. It's probably a stretch to implement it this coming season - just don't think there is enough time for consultation, etc.

I do believe DL is all over this and has therefore constructed the team to tank-1-more-year.

Yup agreed. It's probably a stretch to implement it this coming season - just don't think there is enough time for consultation, etc.

I do believe DL is all over this and has therefore constructed the team to tank-1-more-year.

76ers are outraged, and are fighting the nba over the proposed changes. Lol

Everyone in the NBA is pissed. Top 5 market, that should be making money for everyone else is tanking year after year after year, costing the league millions.

I don't think changing the lottery hurts Utah at all. They will be 5-10. If they end up #5 or 6 they would have better odds at getting #1 then under the current system.

I disagree. I think it is good. Jazz will not be bottom 3. So this would actually increase their chances. Especially as they get better. Personally I say the Jazz will be better than the Sixers, Celtics, Pistons, Magic and Bucks. So that is an increase in our chances at a top 3 pick. Even more so as the Jazz improve.

Also good for the league as it fosters competition.

I disagree. I think it is good. Jazz will not be bottom 3.

Its possible the Jazz will be 5-10, but the its also possible they could be bottom 3. Right now the teams with the worst record really have stacked odds of getting the best pick. This theoretically helps the bad teams get better. It also promotes tanking.

If the the lottery changes so that the bottom eight teams all have pretty similar odds of winning and the first 6 positions now up for grabs rather than the first three positions. The Jazz could suck forever. Lets say the Jazz are in the bottom three for the next three years (which is a remote but real possibility) they could literally pick 7-9 each of those years if the lottery system proposed is adopted. That would be horrible with no help on the horizon. At least with the current system if you suck then you have hope. With the new system teams could suck forever.

Probably good for the Jazz if it gets passed, they are not bottom 5, will probably end up picking around 10. Being very conservative....

Exum, Hood, Booker, Novak > Garret, JL3, Marvin, RJ: +5 wins
Natural progression of core: + 4 wins
Quin Snyder > Ty Corbin: + 3 wins

I disagree. I think it is good. Jazz will not be bottom 3. So this would actually increase their chances. Especially as they get better. Personally I say the Jazz will be better than the Sixers, Celtics, Pistons, Magic and Bucks. So that is an increase in our chances at a top 3 pick. Even more so as the Jazz improve.

Also good for the league as it fosters competition.

Beat you by seconds. Ha ha. Enlightened minds think alike.

They are tanking so bad. I hope they get a terrible pick in upcoming draft

LOL .. u know my Econometrics Professor at U of Auckland was this korean guy named Dongyu Sul. A real character of a man. Everytime I see your user name it reminds me of him (and how I could be earning the big bucks now if I had listened to him, LOL).

oH well, money's not everything I guess....

Probably good for the Jazz if it gets passed, they are not bottom 5, will probably end up picking around 10. Being very conservative....

Exum, Hood, Booker, Novak > Garret, JL3, Marvin, RJ: +5 wins
Natural progression of core: + 4 wins
Quin Snyder > Ty Corbin: + 3 wins

That's being conservative? Wow! I think you are fairly optimistic. I think we might improve, but not by much. In his latest article Pelton published the projected WARP-improvements(or declines) for the teams in the league after free agency. Now that metric is not perfect but it gives some sense of what's to be expected. We are the 4th most improved team in the NBA according to WARP(behind only Cleveland, Dallas and Chicago). Here's the section in his article talking about the Jazz:

4. Utah Jazz | plus-3.1 WARP

Key addition: Trevor Booker
Key loss: Richard Jefferson

After the top three, it's hard to find teams that made dramatic improvements via free agency and trades. The Jazz, like the Bulls, benefit from some addition by subtraction. Of the 10 players who saw action for Utah who are now gone, six project worse than replacement level -- including Jefferson (minus-0.3 WARP). So any contributions the Jazz get from Booker (0.6) and Steve Novak (1.8) are an upgrade.

The projection is +3.1 wins compared to last year. Which I think is somewhat realistic expectation(2-5 wins more than last year). If Snyder turns out to be really good maybe we can add a couple more.

LOL .. u know my Econometrics Professor at U of Auckland was this korean guy named Dongyu Sul. A real character of a man. Everytime I see your user name it reminds me of him (and how I could be earning the big bucks now if I had listened to him, LOL).

oH well, money's not everything I guess....

Right....
hi-res-bdd36c6b5b29d3ab142b87b1c108cc51_crop_exact.jpg

I don't think changing the lottery hurts Utah at all. They will be 5-10. If they end up #5 or 6 they would have better odds at getting #1 then under the current system.

This