What's new

NBA's proposed lottery changes bad for Jazz

I like how the leaked proposed draft process is very similar to what I suggested last year. Flat odds beat tanking.

i figured the NBA would do something about the lottery, but i didnt think the changes would take place until the next CBA. crazy stuff

The NBA is proposing new lottery rules that levels the odds of getting the top 3 or maybe even the top six picks. I think that hurts the Jazz in their current state. I believe the Jazz are going to be in the bottom five for the next several years. Why would we even consider changing the system until we are a much better team? Even if we improve over last year, and I believe we will, we still play in the Western conference. It is going to be hard to win a lot of games until we get more talent. I hope any lottery changes come several years from now.
Yup agreed. It's probably a stretch to implement it this coming season - just don't think there is enough time for consultation, etc.

I do believe DL is all over this and has therefore constructed the team to tank-1-more-year.

Completely disagree. Will the Jazz make the playoffs? Extremely unlikely. Last season it would have required 49 wins. Jazz are going to be better, but they won't double their win total.

But a tank requires getting rid of decent players and/or having no bench. Jazz have STRENGTHENED their bench. They re-signed Hayward.

PG - Burke is no longer a rookie, Exum is an immediate upgrade over Garrett/JLIII. Neither of those guys could shoot; Exum is a better playmaker.
SG/SF - Still have Hayward and Burks. Gordon is likely to be much improved shooting-wise (can't have another epically bad season). Burks came on late. He starts the season at a higher level than last October. Hood is lottery-value talent. I'd take him right now over RJ.
PF - Kanter may/may not be better. But Booker and Novak are solid backups.
C - Favors will likely be improved. We've already seen Gobert is leaps and bounds better than he was last season.

Coaching: Does this even need to be mentioned? Even IF Corbin was average, players just quit on him last March/April. Same won't happen with Snyder. I'm optimistic he'll have a Hornacek-like effect on the team.

If the Jazz don't win AT LEAST 35 games, it will be a disaster, IMO. But let's assume the Jazz just win 30. That would have been the 9th worst record last year. Proposed changes shouldn't affect the Jazz at all. I do see why Philadelphia is objecting. I don't agree with their strategy, but I do think the NBA needs to table the change for one season. 76er's are operating under the rules now in effect. Teams are largely set for 2014/15. NBA should not be allowed to make a change until AFTER the next draft.

Completely disagree. Will the Jazz make the playoffs? Extremely unlikely. Last season it would have required 49 wins. Jazz are going to be better, but they won't double their win total.

But a tank requires getting rid of decent players and/or having no bench. Jazz have STRENGTHENED their bench. They re-signed Hayward.

PG - Burke no longer a rookie, Exum an immediate upgrade over Garrett/JLIII
SG/SF - Still have Hayward, Burks. Gordon likely to be much improved shooting-wise (can't have another epically bad season). Burks came on late. He starts the season at a higher level than last October. Hood is lottery-value talent.
PF - Kanter may/may not be better. But Booker and Novak are solid backups.
C - Favors will likely be improved. We've already seen Gobert is leaps and bounds better than he was last season.

If the Jazz don't win AT LEAST 35 games, it will be a disaster. Let's say the Jazz win 30. That would have been the 9th worst record last year. Proposed changes shouldn't affect the Jazz at all. I do see why Philadelphia is objecting. I don't agree with their strategy, but I do think the NBA needs to table the change for one season. 76er's are operating under the rules now in effect. Teams are largely set for 2014/15. NBA should not be allowed to make a change until AFTER the next draft.

I agree that the Jazz are better and will not be bottom 5. I say implement the change immediately as it helps more teams (Jazz specifically) than it hurts this next year.

The jazz were 4th last year. Some teams Intentionally tanked (76ers). If they change the system teams wont tank. The jazz are in the brutal western conference. The teams best player is probably hayward and he is not a number one guy on a championship team. I think the jazz will probably be bottom five. I do love everyone optimism, however. The problem with the proposed system is that if you are bad you could be bad forever. For ev er. For...ev...er. It scares me. I would be a whole lot more comfortable if we had at least one superstar.

The jazz were 4th last year. Some teams Intentionally tanked (76ers). If they change the system teams wont tank. The jazz are in the brutal western conference. The teams best player is probably hayward and he is not a number one guy on a championship team. I think the jazz will probably be bottom five. I do love everyone optimism, however. The problem with the proposed system is that if you are bad you could be bad forever. For ev er. For...ev...er. It scares me. I would be a whole lot more comfortable if we had at least one superstar.

Jazz do not need to be a championship team this year. That still leaves open lots of room for improvement. Like a bench that is worlds better than last years bench. Plus the energy froma fresh start with Coach Q.

There are teams that are bad forever now. Orlando, Kings, Wolves, Sixers...

We might be optimists (I have always been with my sports teams) but you seem to be very pessimistic about this.

Jazz do not need to be a championship team this year. That still leaves open lots of room for improvement. Like a bench that is worlds better than last years bench. Plus the energy froma fresh start with Coach Q.

There are teams that are bad forever now. Orlando, Kings, Wolves, Sixers...

We might be optimists (I have always been with my sports teams) but you seem to be very pessimistic about this.

I am a pessimist by nature but I'm trying to see the hope others have. We have a new coach and improved bench. We have no superstars and we play in the western conference. Wolves have been better than us the last couple years and will be getting wiggins. Orlando will improve a lot this year. Sixers have a rebuilding plan that at its core involved tanking for 3 years. If the plan comes together they will be much improved in the future. The jazz dont have free agents flock to them. If they suck the only way to improve is via the draft. If the rules change dramatically the jazz may suck and never get better. I still like my idea of a three or four year weighted average with the worst teams getting the highest pick. No ping pong balls.

It's all just a ploy so the league can keep giving the pathetic Cleveland Cavs the number 1 pick and keep Lebron super happy.

Couldnt the jazz be a bottom 5 team next year and still win the lottery even under this new proposed system?

the jazz will probably not be bottom five next year (new system would INCREASE thier odds in this case) and even if they are bottom five they still have better odds the tenth worst team right?

Seems like a good thing for the nba to do and most likely wont hurt the jazz much if at all. I approve of changing the lottery system immediately

Couldnt the jazz be a bottom 5 team next year and still win the lottery even under this new proposed system?

It is possible. But its also possible to be bad and not win the lottery. Thus you do not improve. I would like a system that ensures the bad teams get the best picks but also discourages tanking. My proposal of a weighted average over several years does this. Most teams will not intentionally tank 3 or 4 years in a row because they will lose fans. Taking a weighted average over time discourages tanking and ensures the bad teams get better players. I've been a fan for too long not to recognize the problem with the proposed changes. What you dont wAnt are teAms like the Lakers and Chicago having their star injured one year lose a whole bunch of games one year. Win the lottery and then dominate for years to come. Change the draft system but I dont like the current proposal.

I am a pessimist by nature but I'm trying to see the hope others have. We have a new coach and improved bench. We have no superstars and we play in the western conference. Wolves have been better than us the last couple years and will be getting wiggins. Orlando will improve a lot this year. Sixers have a rebuilding plan that at its core involved tanking for 3 years. If the plan comes together they will be much improved in the future. The jazz dont have free agents flock to them. If they suck the only way to improve is via the draft. If the rules change dramatically the jazz may suck and never get better. I still like my idea of a three or four year weighted average with the worst teams getting the highest pick. No ping pong balls.

The Jazz may suck and never get better now. Changing the rules does eliminate that possibility. Simply lowers the chances of it happening.

It is possible. But its also possible to be bad and not win the lottery. Thus you do not improve. I would like a system that ensures the bad teams get the best picks but also discourages tanking. My proposal of a weighted average over several years does this. Most teams will not intentionally tank 3 or 4 years in a row because they will lose fans. Taking a weighted average over time discourages tanking and ensures the bad teams get better players. I've been a fan for too long not to recognize the problem with the proposed changes. What you dont wAnt are teAms like the Lakers and Chicago having their star injured one year lose a whole bunch of games one year. Win the lottery and then dominate for years to come. Change the draft system but I dont like the current proposal.

i see your point.... and its a good one.
I prefer the idea that the nba has proposed but your idea is good as well.

I prefer any idea over the current system or the wheel system basically

i figured the NBA would do something about the lottery, but i didnt think the changes would take place until the next CBA. crazy stuff

They are doing something now because Philly is costing the league tens of millions of dollars. Philly is too big of a market to tank in.

Also, I don't feel bad for Philly. I don't necessarily disagree with them, but I don't feel bad for them. They already have three top 10 picks the last three years. They've had enough time to rebuild. I feel the same about Philly as I do the Jazz:

The Jazz have been rebuilding now for one season. They have obtained two top 10 picks. They get one more year. After the 14-15 season, they should be fighting for the playoffs. They should be bringing in vets that will help them get to a title.

If you get three top 10 picks in three consecutive years, you should be ineligible for the lottery the next two seasons.

I don't like the weighted system at all. I'd rather have the current system. The weighted system takes too long to get a top pick. You would have to tank/rebuild for 5 years before your get that pick. At least right now, teams can tank 1 yr, then get back to the playoffs.

Increasing the number of spots that are 'randomly selected' only gives the NBA script writers more opportunities to tinker. This rule probably has very little to do with the league bing upset with Philly, and more about the PTB upset that they couldn't manipulate a way to get Exum to the Lakers or some other player-team hook up they wanted to make.

While they are at it, they ought to have a computer 'randomly select' the playoff match ups too. I bet the results would be shocking!

Increasing the number of spots that are 'randomly selected' only gives the NBA script writers more opportunities to tinker. This rule probably has very little to do with the league bing upset with Philly, and more about the PTB upset that they couldn't manipulate a way to get Exum to the Lakers or some other player-team hook up they wanted to make.

While they are at it, they ought to have a computer 'randomly select' the playoff match ups too. I bet the results would be shocking!

Oh mellow

I don't like the weighted system at all. I'd rather have the current system. The weighted system takes too long to get a top pick. You would have to tank/rebuild for 5 years before your get that pick. At least right now, teams can tank 1 yr, then get back to the playoffs.

How about building your team through trades, clever signing of free agents, and drafting well? The Pacers team that challenged the Heat just 2 seasons ago didn't had like 1 lottery pick in Paul George IIRC.

I'm all for the changes. I HATE HATE HATE tanking, and think its unfair to the fans, especially season ticket holders. I'm not saying teams shouldn't tank however. With the current system I think if you are a bottom team then it absolutely is a necessity to tank. I just want the system to change so teams don't have to tank.

Wow. This is exactly what jazz fans should try to stop. Lets take okc as an example. Lets say KD gets hurt in training camp so OKC just decides to tank the whole season. They keep out Ibaka because of his leg injury. However because Westbrook is a star they barely miss the playoffs. I dont want a system where OKC can get the number 1 pick because of one sorta down year due to one star being injured. The weighted system insures that the truly bad teams get the best picks. It also prevents one year tanking scenarios.