What's new

Niang island

I don’t know how much of criticism of Niang’s conditioning is valid. Most people aren’t NBA athletes no matter what they do, and a lot of people just have thrifty metabolisms that cause them to carry weight in a way that our society perceives negatively.

But like I said, I’m not sure. I just have a tough time imagining him suddenly becoming cut and athletic. Beyond anything else, it would mean that a fringe NBA player is just kinda lazy and I have a tough time believing that.
I don't have a tough time believing that at all. Most people will, by nature, do the bare minimum to get whatever they want or need. This is instinctual, conservation of energy and resources for survival. So he knows he really won't get any further if he gets ripped, so he does exactly what he needs to barely maintain his basic conditioning and calls it a day.

No we are grasping at straws to fill the most obvious gaps, such as perimeter defense. If we are running with niang in a roster spot, and we haven't done anything to address these deficiencies, then it's reasonable to ask for more from these players to fill the gaps. Otherwise what the **** are they doing taking up a roster spot?

Of course it's really all on the FO, but niang is such an easy target. Hell he's as wide and nimble as a minivan.

Should we cut Bogey, Clarkson, and everyone else that doesn't provide perimeter defense?

Niang is getting paid the minimum. There are about 5 guys on this roster that are worse than him. I agree that perimeter defense is weakness on this roster, but to turn around to put that on the 9th guy is ridiculous. Niang has proven that he can provide positive value in his role. He cost nothing to acquire and there's already an open roster spot pls other non guaranteed players that he's better than.

He's doing nothing to get in the way of addressing the defense problem. If he was gone, we'd probably be looking for a good shooter who can compliment the bench unit on the minimum. AKA exactly what Niang is. If we're lacking defense, point to the players behind him whose value is supposed to be defense, the open roster spot, or a player who hasn't proven to provide offensive value.

I don't have a tough time believing that at all. Most people will, by nature, do the bare minimum to get whatever they want or need. This is instinctual, conservation of energy and resources for survival. So he knows he really won't get any further if he gets ripped, so he does exactly what he needs to barely maintain his basic conditioning and calls it a day.
Niang was 10% body fat the combine (this was when he was considered to be in poor shape). It's not like he's some tublord. 5% is the gold standard, anything below is unhealthy.

The Jazz wouldnt have kept him around this long if he didnt work extremely hard. Yall can say what you want about DL sticking with "his guys" or whatever BS you want to spout, but the Jazz only keep the minimum contract guys who work hard.

Lol for all the bit**ing that goes on here about players you guys sure are easily amused. All it takes is them to get chippy with a reporter and suddenly they are a good NBA player.

Niang does what he can but in the end he is athletically limited. When he’s hitting 3’s he’s serviceable. When he isn’t it is really ugly.

It is also weird that he referred to
himself in 3rd person multiple times.

Lol for all the bit**ing that goes on here about players you guys sure are easily amused. All it takes is them to get chippy with a reporter and suddenly they are a good NBA player.

Niang does what he can but in the end he is athletically limited. When he’s hitting 3’s he’s serviceable. When he isn’t it is really ugly.

It is also weird that he referred to
himself in 3rd person multiple times.
Does no one have a link? The Google is no help.

What? Why wouldn’t he get further if he was suddenly an NBA athlete? That’s the difference between playing ten years in the league and being out of it in a year or two, saying nothing of the tens of millions of dollars.

What? Why wouldn’t he get further if he was suddenly an NBA athlete? That’s the difference between playing ten years in the league and being out of it in a year or two, saying nothing of the tens of millions of dollars.
You think if niang came back at 5% BF and able to bench 400 he would suddenly be LeBron? Yeah, neither does he.

You think if niang came back at 5% BF and able to bench 400 he would suddenly be LeBron? Yeah, neither does he.
He would be making $10 M a year. You think that matters to him? The idea that fringe NBA players are putting in the bare minimum to get there is ridiculous.

He would be making $10 M a year. You think that matters to him? The idea that fringe NBA players are putting in the bare minimum to get there is ridiculous.
Like, yeah, Lamar Odom, Rasheed Wallace, and AK can coast into the league and get fat checks.

If you’re a Georges Niang, that ain’t gonna happen. There are a million dudes that are tall and can play basketball, probably a ton with more athleticism and god-given physical attributes than Niang has. There is a reason he is in the league when a lot of those dudes are not.

Like, yeah, Lamar Odom, Rasheed Wallace, and AK can coast into the league and get fat checks.

If you’re a Georges Niang, that ain’t gonna happen. There are a million dudes that are tall and can play basketball, probably a ton with more athleticism and god-given physical attributes than Niang has. There is a reason he is in the league when a lot of those dudes are not.
Mainly because DL likes to give guys who shouldn't be in the league a very long leash.

*cough*Exum*cough*

I don’t know how much of criticism of Niang’s conditioning is valid. Most people aren’t NBA athletes no matter what they do, and a lot of people just have thrifty metabolisms that cause them to carry weight in a way that our society perceives negatively.

But like I said, I’m not sure. I just have a tough time imagining him suddenly becoming cut and athletic. Beyond anything else, it would mean that a fringe NBA player is just kinda lazy and I have a tough time believing that.
Amen.

It's the implication of laziness behind the question that really set him off. Too many people don't realize that not everyone is going to look like Robert Woodard if they just work out a bit more and go to P3.

Last edited:
Working your arse off to get where you are doesn't mean you have maximized your physical potential. There is NO way that body is maximized.
Let’s not act like there’s some scale or metric for ‘maximization‘ that is universal here. Any claim about whether or not a body is maximized to a task must be specific to the limits of the individual body in question.

Georges could be working his *** off and eating perfectly for all you know. And he might pursue these measures right up to the moment that athletic ability of this sort inevitably starts to taper off.

Let’s not act like there’s some scale or metric for ‘maximization‘ that is universal here. Any claim about whether or not a body is maximized to a task must be specific to the limits of the individual body in question.

Georges could be working his *** off and eating perfectly for all you know. And he might pursue these measures right up to the moment that athletic ability of this sort inevitably starts to taper off.
Exactly. Giving the benefit of the doubt, he just plain isn't up to the task.