What's new

Nikola Mirotic

Just wondering (since SLC Dunk is now wrongly implying that Mirotic holds a full no-trade clause): Did we ever come to a consensus here about what the no-trade-unless-team-guarantees-second-year provision in Mirotic's contract means for the Jazz's negotiating power? Which description
fits
best?

A) Gives Jazz strong advantage over other suitors
B) Gives Jazz modest advantage over other suitors
C) Gives Jazz no effective advantage at all
D) Gives us less advantage (relative to having real NTC) but does not disadvantage us.

In other words, C -- no effective advantage relative to other teams?
Yeah but the situation gives us some advantage over him not having any say. If a team is trying to pick him up as a good piece for playoffs now but needs to dump salary, it negates the idea of picking up his option and forcing him there.

The potential scenario in which Mirotic's veto power helps the Jazz is this:

'Team B' puts up a better offer that the Bulls want to take, but the deal is contingent on team b being able to use Mirotic as an expiring (i.e., they plan to deny their optiono this summer). Mirotic decides he does not want to play for team b. Bulls only way of trading him would be to pick up the option now, meaning team b is no longer interested.

Pretty specific case...

22ghwp.jpg

'Team B' puts up a better offer that the Bulls want to take, but the deal is contingent on team b being able to use Mirotic as an expiring (i.e., they plan to deny their optiono this summer). Mirotic decides he does not want to play for team b. Bulls only way of trading him would be to pick up the option now, meaning team b is no longer interested.

Pretty specific case...

This has pretty much been my understanding, too.
I tend to think scenario you bring up is quite unlikely (why would anyone that wants Mirotic be willing to give up more than the Jazz would just to have him expire in a few months?) But maybe it does help the Jazz a bit.

Pretty specific case...

But in the case of Portland and Detroit both teams are likely looking to cut salary, so the flexibility would be good for them. Both teams have starting 4s that the team may not want to move to the bench or that are less effective as SFs.

In either case I think Por/Det will try and dump bad salary with a first, so the trade hinges on -Does Chicago change their request and take on salary to get the 1st or Do they accept something less than a first?

Honestly I think a three team trade with Cleveland is possible to land them a late first, but they likely take on Shumpert in the deal. He's not completely dead salary.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6990190

Something like this... Cleveland send their 1st rounder to Chicago. Cleveland gets a wing defender that is trustworthy and saves like $25M in salary and tax... plus they get off of some salary for next year.

Chicago get their 1st... takes on some salary, but not completely dead salary and gets a wing prospect for the difference. Sub out Zizic for Osman if Chicago or Cleveland prefer.

We'd still have to move Favs imo... wouldn't want to jerk him or Niko around on starting.

Outside of something like that I will pass on Niko. I would rather tank... we start now and there is still an okay shot at top 3. Consolation prize would be one of the Bridges or Trae Young if GMs don't have the cajones to take him higher.

**** it, I would give em a first

Nah... Niko is worth it if he continues to do something resembling his hot streak. It is possible, but if he goes back to his average numbers he is a mild upgrade over Thabo/Jerebko stretch 4s.

Don't buy into the hot streak... it is reason for optimism but let's not go overboard.

There has been zero report that Detroit is trying to cut salary. They want Mirotic and they are willing to sacrifice their 1st to do it which is more than we should give. This is the trade I anticipate.

Mirotic for Marjanovic (only $7 million for next year), Tolliver (expiring), and Detroit's 2018 1st.

Mirotic won’t go to BOS. His numbers willl go down and he will lose some of his worth. He can be a primary scorer here.

There has been zero report that Detroit is trying to cut salary. They want Mirotic and they are willing to sacrifice their 1st to do it which is more than we should give. This is the trade I anticipate.

Mirotic for Marjanovic (only $7 million for next year), Tolliver (expiring), and Detroit's 2018 1st.

What team comes out and says "we are trying to cut salary". Read the tea leaves... Signing Bradley next year may get pricey and doing so will put them close to the tax. Adding salary would exacerbate the problem. Add in that they have Harris and Tolliver as stretch bigs and Niko isn't a huge need.

The deal proposed could happen though... unlike the Rubio deal. I just think it would be unwise, but maybe they know Bradley wants to leave or they deal Harris with Niko on board.

Is he following Portland or Detroit newspapers doe?

I bet Favs sits tonight (has an ankle injury)... Niko sits with the flu... probably coincidence but I'm sure twitter will jump to conclusions.