What's new

Game Thread Nov 07, 2022 08:15PM MT: Jazz vs Lakers

Added to Calendar: 11-07-22

On my opinion this is where the problem will be. One of those two has to think team and accept to let the other shine and get focus on the rest ( passing, defense) . We all know here that Don is unable to do so. He is a bit of a diva. I don't know much Garland, he seems to be a smart player and a better playmaker than Don but if he got the same ego.... it won't work.
Yep, Garland was considered their up and coming backcourt star but Don has clearly been the better player this season especially since Garland got injured. I haven't heard about Garland being a diva but it has to be a little tough on the ego when all the talk now is about Donovan in the MVP race, etc. Mobley was a big negative in the +/- column today. It's early but Mobley really hasn't taken the 2nd year leap they were hoping. Their record is nice but you can see some potential cracks down the road when the Jazz will be controlling their picks.

Garland froze out Don the last 4 minutes of the game when he was calling for the ball.

No doubt the Cavs are having a nice season but I do wonder how Garland and Don are going to mesh 2-3 years down the road.
Garland is make more salaries than Donovan next 3 seasons. Donovan ask for trade out or send Garland out next season

Great Win, our offense is cooking. I am concerned about when Clarkson goes cold though.

THT with the monster throw down dunk that kind of broke the Laker's spirits. He had a good game.

Lauri really struggled defending against AD in the post. Feeding AD in the post was keeping the Lakers in the game and then they just started playing out on the perimeter where they are an awful shooting team.

Playing Conley and Sexton together is good for Sexton since playing point is less natural for him, but I think they should continue to try and develop Sexton as a point guard. It might not ever work, but they should at least give it until the end of the season.

I like NAW on defense, I hate NAW on offense.

Great Win, our offense is cooking. I am concerned about when Clarkson goes cold though.

THT with the monster throw down dunk that kind of broke the Laker's spirits. He had a good game.

Lauri really struggled defending against AD in the post. Feeding AD in the post was keeping the Lakers in the game and then they just started playing out on the perimeter where they are an awful shooting team.

Playing Conley and Sexton together is good for Sexton since playing point is less natural for him, but I think they should continue to try and develop Sexton as a point guard. It might not ever work, but they should at least give it until the end of the season.

I like NAW on defense, I hate NAW on offense.
I've given up on NAW offensively. It's a shame too because he has all the other tools/skills/IQ to be a solid role player, but he just has a negative bag on offense and is low confidence. It's like watching Dante out there at times.

I've given up on NAW offensively. It's a shame too because he has all the other tools/skills/IQ to be a solid role player, but he just has a negative bag on offense and is low confidence. It's like watching Dante out there at times.
Is he expiring this year? If so, he might be out of the league next year.

On my opinion this is where the problem will be. One of those two has to think team and accept to let the other shine and get focus on the rest ( passing, defense) . We all know here that Don is unable to do so. He is a bit of a diva. I don't know much Garland, he seems to be a smart player and a better playmaker than Don but if he got the same ego.... it won't work.

You have just encountered the Gordon Chiesa rule of NBA dynamics. The more "young stars" you have on a team, the chance that they squabble approaches 100%. You need to have a mix of vets and youngsters and the star has to be firmly established.

THT is fun to watch when he attacks the rim. Smooth and packs a lot of power. For me, his main value at this point is his age. I want see him stick around and see how he develops. NAW is another player who I wouldn’t give up before seeing more of him. He has potential to be a great playmaker. We need to be patient with all our young guys.

We all have seen what Markkanen can do on the offensive end, but I’ve also been impressed by his defending. He was ok defender for the Cavs, but his improved lateral foot work, increased leg strength, and better timing has raised his defending to a new level. Anthony Davis has always been hard to stop in this league. And Markkanen couldn’t do it either in the first half. But in the second half he adjusted against Davis’ two moves – his spin-move and his stepping to the center – and stopped him. It was interesting to see. And on the other end, Lauri’s speed was too much for Davis, who couldn’t stop him.

THT is fun to watch when he attacks the rim. Smooth and packs a lot of power. For me, his main value at this point is his age. I want see him stick around and see how he develops. NAW is another player who I wouldn’t give up before seeing more of him. He has potential to be a great playmaker. We need to be patient with all our young guys.

We all have seen what Markkanen can do on the offensive end, but I’ve also been impressed by his defending. He was ok defender for the Cavs, but his improved lateral foot work, increased leg strength, and better timing has raised his defending to a new level. Anthony Davis has always been hard to stop in this league. And Markkanen couldn’t do it either in the first half. But in the second half he adjusted against Davis’ two moves – his spin-move and his stepping to the center – and stopped him. It was interesting to see. And on the other end, Lauri’s speed was too much for Davis, who couldn’t stop him.
I think Lauri's potential is off the charts. He is still playing a little tentatively, but as he gains confidence and experience and sees that what he was doing in the interntional sphere will work in the NBA as well he has the potential to become a monster. I asked somewhat facetiously if Lauri is the real Wemby, but that might not be too far off the mark. Maybe Wemby's potential is to be a rich man's Markkanen. If so, I will happily hold onto Lauri for the long haul. Could be a real diamond in the rough and to see him coming into his own this season is a revelation and joy to behold.

I think Lauri's potential is off the charts. He is still playing a little tentatively, but as he gains confidence and experience and sees that what he was doing in the interntional sphere will work in the NBA as well he has the potential to become a monster. I asked somewhat facetiously if Lauri is the real Wemby, but that might not be too far off the mark. Maybe Wemby's potential is to be a rich man's Markkanen. If so, I will happily hold onto Lauri for the long haul. Could be a real diamond in the rough and to see him coming into his own this season is a revelation and joy to behold.
He’s so fast and athletic for a 7-footer. He has started to attack the rim more and more now. I hope he knows that this is exactly what he needs to do – just power his way in there, stop for a throw, or go all the way to the rim, or draw a foul for free throws. He is a great free throw shooter, so he should take advantage of it as much as he can.

Last edited: