What's new

Ochai is Him

Sounds like a blind date I had once.

Or twice, ngl.

FTFY

Seriously I like Thurl, but not sure how many more times I can take hearing him tell us how much he sees someone. He sees everybody. I get it, your eyes function as intended, you see these people, all the damn time, you don't have to tell us every time you see them make a great play.

That "I see you" thing is so overplayed. It is this era's "not"....and I really like it...NOT!
Add Klinik with a K to the list. Our broadcast team just loves the most mid sayings ever. It’s all so forced and tired.

Yeah i turn volume on half when watching Jazz games now, makes it a much more enjoyable experience.. lol ..
I will watch the opposing team feed half the time… problem is replays. I had wondered why Locke hadn’t been promoted until I listened last night and holy ****… dude was screaming at the refs like my drunk dad at his TV… that won’t work.

Both our young rookies (Ochai & Walker) are quite unusual for rookies as they very rarely make a dumb play, or try to "overdo" anything. However, Olynyk more than makes up for both of them on his own...

Found an interesting stat nugget about Ochai from last season. This is opponent 3PT% against you as the closest defender. Ochai was #1 in the NBA with minimum 100 reps as the closest defender, and had a 25.8% completion percentage against with opponents shooting almost 10% below their average.

Kinda interesting to see if this was an outlier as these types of stats are not necessarily the most reliable (e.g. they dont tell how close they were or whether they were primary defenders or help defenders scrambling in etc)

1693218367618.png

Found an interesting stat nugget about Ochai from last season. This is opponent 3PT% against you as the closest defender. Ochai was #1 in the NBA with minimum 100 reps as the closest defender, and had a 25.8% completion percentage against with opponents shooting almost 10% below their average.

Kinda interesting to see if this was an outlier as these types of stats are not necessarily the most reliable (e.g. they dont tell how close they were or whether they were primary defenders or help defenders scrambling in etc)

View attachment 15041
when you check the other dudes on the list, all very good defenders, it seems it could be at least somewhat legit.

Honestly wasn't super impressed in summer league but maybe the team was asking him to do things that were outside his comfort zone.

when you check the other dudes on the list, all very good defenders, it seems it could be at least somewhat legit.

My two cents on this number....doesn't mean much. There is always a "closest defender", but the large majority of three point attempts are open or wide open to begin with. I suppose that even being "open" or "wide open" can be different depending on the guy trying to close out on the shooter, but I'd mostly just chalk this up to variance/luck.

Yeah that was my initial feeling as well.

Also went to check if some Tuber has noticed and this guy quoted the same stat (albeit he had different totals) and added that according to Second Spectrum, he has the 2nd lowest pass-by rate with 14.7%.

View: https://youtu.be/szeB7egGjvw?si=JAWbVL_McqZbIEYq

My two cents on this number....doesn't mean much. There is always a "closest defender", but the large majority of three point attempts are open or wide open to begin with. I suppose that even being "open" or "wide open" can be different depending on the guy trying to close out on the shooter, but I'd mostly just chalk this up to variance/luck.
Check the video above. I dont have access to Second Spectrum stats but they said he contested 195 of the 203 shots where he was the closest defender.

That speaks of tremendous awareness and seems to indicate that his 3P% impact was legit.

IMO the key for Ochai going forward is going to be his defensive playmaking. For a guy as athletic as him, he should not be one of the worst stocks guys and rebounders in the league. The high volume scoring stuff didn't work in the SL, but he was much more active on defense and on the glass which was great.

Ochai is THEM

What does “them” mean exactly? I think of plural and your referencing one person.

Honestly wasn't super impressed in summer league but maybe the team was asking him to do things that were outside his comfort zone.

That’s because they were forcing him to be a handler and playmaker, not his game. He’s a catch and shoot, slashing above the rim player

What does “them” mean exactly? I think of plural and your referencing one person.

That’s because they were forcing him to be a handler and playmaker, not his game. He’s a catch and shoot, slashing above the rim player
Them is a pronoun without a gender so it's used for person or person(s) who identify as non binary