What's new

Game Thread Oct 15, 2024 07:00PM MT: Sacramento Kings @ Utah Jazz (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-15-24

I think Walker has been one of the standouts in preseason. I still the think the tank is strong…but if we win more than expected it will likely be because of Walker and Key playing much better than last year.

We always seem to be moving the goalposts with him. I guess this is always the case when is a player’s game is more effective than it is aesthetic.

Yeah it’s kind of wild to watch a game in isolation and then come back to learn that apparently it was an epic meeting between two giants lol. I thought it was a fun game, really fun if you were sitting in one of the first few rows hoping to catch the ball.

I don’t really mind it, it’s all we have and the NBA should be fun at some point.
I also think the Kings might be like a bottom 5-6 defense so its kinda fun/easy to play against them. Keon Ellis is a good defender... Keegan seems solid... Fox goes back and forth.

I think the things to take from the preseason:

- The defense will be better. Taylor and Cody seem like they will be plus defenders. Key seems more interested... Walker seems to have taken a step. Collier doesn't seem awful and Brice also doesn't seem awful.
- We are committed to youth being a big part of the rotation 35-45% of the rotation minutes will be 1st or 2nd year guys.
- We will experiment with things like Lauri iso, 5 out with JC at center, etc.
- The kids are alright. I don't think any are busts.
- Mills is washed and is out there to be a vet leader. Eubanks is vet leader, 3rd center, trade asset(?), or a guy to keep us competent if we move Walker.

I still think we finish somewhere between 5th and 7th most likely. Injuries (ours and other teams) will determine our ultimate outcome. I think Brooklyn and Wizards will be tragic and both might be in the low teens for wins. Will boost the "bad" teams out east just enough. Bulls, Hornets have looked solid in preseason.... Raps have a decent roster. Blazers have NBA talent but I think it requires a Scoot renaissance and a real, key injury for us to end up below them. Detroit has some talent and added enough competence and I really don't think they will tank as they have motivated new management, new coaching, and ownership to show they aren't a punchline. Tobias, THJ, Beasley are mid-*** players but they are classic guys that get you to 32 wins.

Do we have a guess the win total for the Jazz thread or western conference order thread yet?

I also think the Kings might be like a bottom 5-6 defense so its kinda fun/easy to play against them. Keon Ellis is a good defender... Keegan seems solid... Fox goes back and forth.

- The defense will be better. Taylor and Cody seem like they will be plus defenders. Key seems more interested... Walker seems to have taken a step. Collier doesn't seem awful and Brice also doesn't seem awful.
- We are committed to youth being a big part of the rotation 35-45% of the rotation minutes will be 1st or 2nd year guys.
- Mills is washed and is out there to be a vet leader. Eubanks is vet leader, 3rd center, trade asset(?), or a guy to keep us competent if we move Walker.

I still think we finish somewhere between 5th and 7th most likely. Injuries (ours and other teams) will determine our ultimate outcome. I think Brooklyn and Wizards will be tragic and both might be in the low teens for wins. Will boost the "bad" teams out east just enough. Bulls, Hornets have looked solid in preseason.... Raps have a decent roster. Blazers have NBA talent but I think it requires a Scoot renaissance and a real, key injury for us to end up below them. Detroit has some talent and added enough competence and I really don't think they will tank as they have motivated new management, new coaching, and ownership to show they aren't a punchline. Tobias, THJ, Beasley are mid-*** players but they are classic guys that get you to 32 wins.
Nailed it

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I think the second bullet point is one of the keys to remember for all of the "sad boys" (just listened to your latest pod) to remember. If we are unexpectedly winning more games than we want it's because our young guys are at least good enough role players to get us there. Hardy has committed to playing the youth. It isn't just words, but so far in action as well. Winning more games than expected also likely means we have more tradeable players than expected, which is a good thing as well.

I think the second bullet point is one of the keys to remember for all of the "sad boys" (just listened to your latest pod) to remember. If we are unexpectedly winning more games than we want it's because our young guys are at least good enough role players to get us there. Hardy has committed to playing the youth. It isn't just words, but so far in action as well. Winning more games than expected also likely means we have more tradeable players than expected, which is a good thing as well.
The season of win/win.
The outcome of every game is a good outcome. Pretty sweet

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I think Sexton and Walker would be moved for the right price and JC would be moved for peanuts if DA thinks the tank is in real danger. The opening schedule should be brutal enough to give DA some runway to make moves. It just depends on how replaceable he thinks Sexton and Walker are (not now but in the future). In a couple years are you going to be kicking yourself for moving one of them when you are trying to win.

That and one injury might solve the "problem" for you. We just need lots of experimenting in these first 20 games to ensure we don't get off to a surprise hot start.

I was listening to Simmons do an O/U podcast and two of the guest said over on the Jazz at 27.5

That's actually a really good number, not sure if I would go over or under.

Based on understanding the company objectives and the likely efforts to get us there, I would take the under.

Based on the current talent level and Hardy's ability to coach, I would take the over.

Probably going to be very close to that.

Walker seems to question himself. Last night he was confident and knew what he needed to do. His screens were strong, he was boxing out and generally looked engaged. I bet he's put a lot of work into the little things. Third year in the league, If he can stay focused and confident he has a chance of improving offensively but if he goes through ups and downs with his confidence that's a huge red flag for his future.
Yea, like I said (and have been saying) if he's just the best version of what he does best, he's very good. Just wish he would be a bit more assertive in trying to expand his game. Nothing crazy, but just really using his size to his advantage when there is someone between him and the rim instead of doing auto pass outs.

IMO, he can’t even get to the passing part because he can’t hold possession and establish position. He’s not even getting doubled. Whenever there’s a small switched onto him, they just push him, get physical, and he almost always loses the. Lauri looks like he’s in a panic even before he gets the ball and is just trying to seal off the defender.

He’s definitely not a natural iso player…we’ll see if it improves at all this year.

Probably it can improve slightly but not very much. When Lauri was overgrown kid, coach tried to make him play only big, but they told he might change team if he can't play guard as well as he wanted, and he got it. When he got older he was still mostly much bigger than anyone else but also having a great shooting touch for a guy his size. He just developed into seven foot sniper with nice handle in open space for guy of his size. I'd be very surprised if he ever becomes average ISO player in traffic/inside bc it hasnt ever been his thing, like at all. IMO he should focus on learning become a great foul baiter as much as I hate that in NBA :D

That's actually a really good number, not sure if I would go over or under.

Based on understanding the company objectives and the likely efforts to get us there, I would take the under.

Based on the current talent level and Hardy's ability to coach, I would take the over.

Probably going to be very close to that.
I threw out 26 on our last pod. So 27.5 feels pretty close to me too. I think it opened at like 28.5 or 29 some places.

Had some time so was browsing the schedules of the other tanktastic teams to see if any had easier schedules. They really don't have a lot of head to head action early or no team had an easier schedule that stood out to me. In the spring there is a lot of head to head between Nets, Hornets, Wiz, Pistons, Raps. So there may be more than a few slow starts in the first 20 games.

Back