What's new

Official Re-Sign Mike Conley Thread

The pessimistic side of me thinks this will be an outlier year because it is a contract year.
Our window is now, and everyone is aging, so all the chips are in for this year.

And I don’t even care.

Our window is now, and everyone is aging, so all the chips are in for this year.

And I don’t even care.
If we win a championship this year then I won't care. But if we resign him for a lot of money after a 2nd round exit, that would be stupid.

Re-signing him given his age, injury proclivity, and how terrific he’s been in this contract year gives me trepidation.

I’d frankly rather not think about the future years right now. The team’s not gonna be better if they run it back next year anyway. But of course, if he can be this for a few years then I hope the Jazz can find a half-sensible way to keep him.

This is the year, though.

Resigning Conley OR signing and trading him for a trade exception make lots of sense to me whether we want to keep him or not. Thats because the team is now in the luxury tax. If we lose him, then we must build from within. If we even grab a S&T then we can flip it into assets as the Warriors did with Russell.

Of course this assumes that Ryan Smith doesn't mind the tax.

Lineups (>30min) with Conley :
Conley-Clarkson-Oni-Niang-Gobert : +45.5
Conley-Mitchell-Ingles-O'Neale-Gobert: +21.5
Conley-Clarkson-Ingles-Niang-Gobert: +20.5
Conley-Mitchell-O'Neale-Bogdanovic-Gobert: +20.0

Lineups (>30min) sans Conley :
Mitchell-Clarkson-O'Neale-Bogdanovic-Favors: +8.9
Mitchell-Clarkson-Ingles-O'Neale-Favors: -11.3
Mitchell-Ingles-O'Neale-Bogdanovic-Favors: -14.6

I have a close friend that occassionally plays pick up ball with Ryan Smith. Before the season started he was chatting with the boys between games and mentioned that the Jazz want Conley back next season but they doubt they can find a way to pay him. Pretty clear they never gave up on him and really like what he brings to the team.

Lineups (>30min) with Conley :
Conley-Clarkson-Oni-Niang-Gobert : +45.5
Conley-Mitchell-Ingles-O'Neale-Gobert: +21.5
Conley-Clarkson-Ingles-Niang-Gobert: +20.5
Conley-Mitchell-O'Neale-Bogdanovic-Gobert: +20.0

Lineups (>30min) sans Conley :
Mitchell-Clarkson-O'Neale-Bogdanovic-Favors: +8.9
Mitchell-Clarkson-Ingles-O'Neale-Favors: -11.3
Mitchell-Ingles-O'Neale-Bogdanovic-Favors: -14.6
I note that gobert is in all the good lineups and missing from all not so good ones as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Resigning Conley OR signing and trading him for a trade exception make lots of sense to me whether we want to keep him or not. Thats because the team is now in the luxury tax. If we lose him, then we must build from within. If we even grab a S&T then we can flip it into assets as the Warriors did with Russell.

Of course this assumes that Ryan Smith doesn't mind the tax.
Ryan Smith is a young billionaire who owns his hometown team. I sure af believe he bought this team because he wants to bring a championship to his favorite team growing up.

I couldn't be happier with Conley's play this season. I still think we would have been better with a different player but I'll fully enjoy the ride while he's here and we're playing well. But I do not want them to bring him back really. First, it'll likely cost too much. Second, some decline is inevitable even if seemingly delayed this season. Third, we still have bigger needs to fill. But damn it's a lot of fun right now!

Maybe if the Jazz win the title Smith will go wild with the tax. I'm sure he would want to bring back the championship team to sold out crowds in a post-covid world.