What's new

Official UofU homer thread

Covey's adjustment to college seems to be that he'll only be able to get in one really good cut on most plays in the open, whereas in high school he had multiple cuts and cutbacks usually per open field play. Just means more North/South running. Certainly looks like he is going to translate. His cut on the left sideline of the field tonight was ridiculous. Looked like he just ran in a straight line almost because it was so quick. And it's probably even better when he doesn't have the ball. I would love just watching tape of him running routes in game. I bet his cutting ability pretty much means he's impossible to lock down. He's probably getting separation fairly often.

Last edited:
Was slightly underwhelmed/disappointed by Utah tonight.

Booker over under yards was 125..... He didn't come close. Wilson looks like the same dude he has been for the last three years, which is to say very average. Wide receivers are not much to write home about.

The defense is very good as usual and the special teams are still as good as any in the country.

Was expecting more from the offensive skill players

Booker over under yards was 125..... He didn't come close. Wilson looks like the same dude he has been for the last three years, which is to say very average. Wide receivers are not much to write home about.

The defense is very good as usual and the special teams are still as good as any in the country.

I thought Wilson looked good, didn't throw a pick (bomb at the end of the first half doesn't count) made good decisions and didn't lose the game for us...We'll be fine, it's the first game, I figured we'd be rusty.....At the end of the season I think this will go down as a good win because Michigan was a lot better than I thought

Covey's adjustment to college seems to be that he'll only be able to get in one really good cut on most plays in the open, whereas in high school he had multiple cuts and cutbacks usually per open field play. Just means more North/South running. Certainly looks like he is going to translate. His cut on the left sideline of the field tonight was ridiculous. Looked like he just ran in a straight line almost because it was so quick. And it's probably even better when he doesn't have the ball. I would love just watching tape of him running routes in game. I bet his cutting ability pretty much means he's impossible to lock down. He's probably getting separation fairly often.

That Covet kid was a litle stud muffin. Super impressed with the provo frshman tonight. Michigan has a good D and Harbaugh has brought the tuffness for sier. Covey deserves some serios props. Utes fon't win without him tonight.

New recievers biggame. It went well.

Have to give some credit to the Michigan O-line but still disappointed in the Ute's D-line and same goes for the opposite side of the ball, give credit to Mich D-line but disappointed in the U's O-line, difference being I had higher expectations for the U's D-line. I heard that the O-line was supposed to be improved and good but this just being the first game I'm not impressed, I think since joining the Pac12 the O-line has been the biggest disappointment for me, yes step up in game to game competition but I thought they looked average at best in tonight's game.

I thought Wilson looked pretty good considering the plays that were called and I hope this gains the coaches confidence and they let the playbook open up just a little to help with the 8 & 9 man fronts Booker was facing tonight.

The LB's granted better or best it's been in many years didn't look like it tonight, Norris had a good pass break up and was hustling but overall just ok and Whittingham early was kinda bad IMO, missed some tackles and was slow in reading and reacting but got better as the game went on and well we all saw Paul's mental mistakes and didn't quite live up to the hype he built up last year but did make some good plays (like that tackle on 4th and 1 in the 4th qtr) along with bad ones.

Overall felt a lot like last year, play calling is playing not to lose and against mediocre teams at home that will usually get you a win but against good teams there is so little room for error if they play this way against the PAC12 South they will lose more games then they win.

Last edited:

Michigan devoted everything to stopping Booker. He had 50+ receiving yards anyway.
Wilson looked great. His only pick was a hail mary to end the half. And he dominated the game with running and passing.
The score of this game is closer than the actual game. Utah led by 14 points nearly the entire 2nd half and never trailed.
The DL will be fine. Michigan employed a quick passing attack to eliminate the pass rush, lots of screens and runs make it difficult to get after the QB, that said they still hit the QB numerous times.
I was impressed with Utah, Michigan was supposed to have a very good defense and they looked like they do. But Utah was still able to go on a # of long drives and score. If not for getting ultra conservative after going up 17-3 I think they could have looked a lot better. I think Utah needs to pass the ball down field more, but I've been saying that for 8 years with Utah. Not one down field pass in this game that I remember.