What's new

Official UofU homer thread

This is a great post that pretty much sums it up. One thing that we'll only find out after the season moves on is, just how good are USU and Michigan? Many have picked USU to be the G5 rep in one of the big bowl games, and with how good Michigans Defense is, they may be an 8 win team.

Maybe the 2 teams Utah has struggled with aren't that bad, or maybe Utah is not as good as we hoped. We're definitely not good with Travis Wilson out so let's hope when he comes back, he stays healthy. It's still early. We're seeing teams like ASU struggle with Cal-Poly. Lots to be sorted out.
This.
Fwiw I think Utah is a really good team and that their struggles have just been early year struggles out the gate. I think they will clean things up and Booker will get rolling and they will win 9 games and be right there with a shot at the conference title.

I do think Michigan might be pretty good. Usu I have no idea but they certainly look pretty poor so far

This.
Fwiw I think Utah is a really good team and that their struggles have just been early year struggles out the gate. I think they will clean things up and Booker will get rolling and they will win 9 games and be right there with a shot at the conference title.

I do think Michigan might be pretty good. Usu I have no idea but they certainly look pretty poor so far

USU is a huge question right now. If you take the Southern Utah debacle out of the equation, they did some things that's gave Utah problems and they basically came into Utah and looked like you'd expect them to look. Honestly, after watching Boise State the last 2 weeks, I don't see why USU can't wrestle away the MWC title from them. Chuckie still has some rust, but Boise's QB looks pretty underwhelming thus far and I think USU is gonna be fine all year defensively.

USU is a huge question right now. If you take the Southern Utah debacle out of the equation, they did some things that's gave Utah problems and they basically came into Utah and looked like you'd expect them to look. Honestly, after watching Boise State the last 2 weeks, I don't see why USU can't wrestle away the MWC title from them. Chuckie still has some rust, but Boise's QB looks pretty underwhelming thus far and I think USU is gonna be fine all year defensively.
Ya I said in my post that I don't know what to think of usu but so far they look pretty poor.
I think that is true. Struggling against suu and then only playing one half in a rivalry game in which the other team losses their starting qb and then not even really having a chance in the end. All of that equals poor so far imo.

Boise beat a pac 12 school (all be it a poor one) and should have beat byu on the road. Boise has a very good defense and has been the better program than usu for a long time. Boise state was ranked this year.
At this point in the season I have Boise > usu.

Ya I said in my post that I don't know what to think of usu but so far they look pretty poor.
I think that is true. Struggling against suu and then only playing one half in a rivalry game in which the other team losses their starting qb and then not even really having a chance in the end. All of that equals poor so far imo.

Boise beat a pac 12 school (all be it a poor one) and should have beat byu on the road. Boise has a very good defense and has been the better program than usu for a long time. Boise state was ranked this year.
At this point in the season I have Boise > usu.

Hard to argue that at this point. I did really like Boise's front 7 but the secondary let BYU get behind them all night long. Props to BYU for exploiting it, but it did give me concerns about them going forward. They still might be the best team in the MWC but IMO they look a little lesser than the Boise teams we've seen in the past. I think they play USU in 2 weeks, so we'll find out pretty soon.

If Kendall Thompson is the QB for more than the Fresno State game, this season could spiral down the drain very quickly. I would rather see Hansen get a shot against Fresno St. and get some time under his belt.

If Kendall Thompson is the QB for more than the Fresno State game, this season could spiral down the drain very quickly. I would rather see Hansen get a shot against Fresno St. and get some time under his belt.
I agree. I always questioned the many ute fans who wanted Thompson to get the starting job from day one

I don't need to see CH play a snap to know he's a better QB than Thompson. Hansen will win that job if Wilson can't go. So jealous of the Hansen/Covey combo the next 3-4 years.

I agree. I always questioned the many ute fans who wanted Thompson to get the starting job from day one

If anybody is still calling for Thompson after his performance last week, they need their head checked. Chase Hansen needs to start this week. There's no reason in the world Utah shouldn't give him some starting experience vs Fresno. While Wilson should be back next week, if history has taught us anything, he's probably going to miss more time before the season is said and done. It would be nice to know Hansen has at least a little starting experience once that happens.

Barring some star-studded surprise recruit, Hansen is the QB next year. It makes ZERO sense to try and tread water with Thompson, but I fear Kendall will get the start. Whitt has given a ton to this program but he has to be one of the least QB savy HC's in college football.

I don't need to see CH play a snap to know he's a better QB than Thompson. Hansen will win that job if Wilson can't go. So jealous of the Hansen/Covey combo the next 3-4 years.

Covey is going on an LDS mission after this season. I'm not sure if that means he will be back for the 2017 or 2018 season.

Covey is going on an LDS mission after this season. I'm not sure if that means he will be back for the 2017 or 2018 season.
With any luck he will pull a langi/taysom

If anybody is still calling for Thompson after his performance last week, they need their head checked. Chase Hansen needs to start this week. There's no reason in the world Utah shouldn't give him some starting experience vs Fresno. While Wilson should be back next week, if history has taught us anything, he's probably going to miss more time before the season is said and done. It would be nice to know Hansen has at least a little starting experience once that happens.

Barring some star-studded surprise recruit, Hansen is the QB next year. It makes ZERO sense to try and tread water with Thompson, but I fear Kendall will get the start. Whitt has given a ton to this program but he has to be one of the least QB savy HC's in college football.

How do you rate Chase Hansen's passing abilities? I live down the street from LP and usually attend most home games. Never thought much of his passing, and I thought both schools rated him as an athlete, not a QB. Has he improved substantially?

How do you rate Chase Hansen's passing abilities? I live down the street from LP and usually attend most home games. Never thought much of his passing, and I thought both schools rated him as an athlete, not a QB. Has he improved substantially?

I honestly don't know, but what I do know is that Kendall Thompson isn't the answer. It sounds like coaches have loved Hansen's performance in spring and fall camp but obviously he's not going to supplant a 4 year starter. My wanting him to play so badly isn't rooted in the belief that he's a great passer. For me it's about getting the future QB out on the field to see what we have.

Barring any transfers, the returning QB's Utah has for next year are Hansen, Cox, and Manning. This week is the perfect opportunity for Chase Hansen to get his feet wet.

I honestly don't know, but what I do know is that Kendall Thompson isn't the answer. It sounds like coaches have loved Hansen's performance in spring and fall camp but obviously he's not going to supplant a 4 year starter. My wanting him to play so badly isn't rooted in the belief that he's a great passer. For me it's about getting the future QB out on the field to see what we have.

Barring any transfers, the returning QB's Utah has for next year are Hansen, Cox, and Manning. This week is the perfect opportunity for Chase Hansen to get his feet wet.
Solid post

New Utes football field makes its debut vs Cal.

1-ac8bac9680.jpg

The next time somebody takes the field at Rice-Eccles Stadium, they'll do it literally.

And then they'll bring back a new one.

Utah will rip out the old turf and install a new playing surface before it hosts Cal on Oct. 10, tweaking the design to include alternating shades of green, a red-bordered sideline and "UTES," instead of "UTAH," spelled out in the north end zone.
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2952741-155/utah-football-new-field-for-cal

Love the alternating green. I've always been fan of that. Love that the NEZ will now say "Utes". Love the red sidelines. Surprised to see this happening in season.

Love the alternating green. I've always been fan of that. Love that the NEZ will now say "Utes". Love the red sidelines. Surprised to see this happening in season.
Ya, I looked at the pic again after reading your post and after a second glance I like it allot more. The utah on one end and utes on the other is pretty cool. The red sidelines have grown on me too. I just think that the pac symbol looks too much like hearts. (Maybe in real life when they are much bigger they won't look like that though) everything else is pretty cool though.

Hopefully it's a smooth transition and there are no problems with the new turf. Seems rather ambitious to do mid season. Not sure if other teams have done it before or not

I think it will just be more of last year, super ugly games with (hopefully) lots of close wins.

Our Defense is better than most Utes fans are thinking after two games.

Don't we have 6 TO's and are only giving up 15 pts?

The defense is better than I thought it would be.

I think Utah is being so nice to KT because they are recruiting his brother.