What's new

Official Warrior Watch: Draft Pick and Playoff Positioning

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seeding doesn't guarantee home court, correct?
For example, Clippers are guaranteed the 4th seed because they won their division, but if Memphis finishes with a better record, they'd be the 5th seed, but have home court, right?
This means Memphis WILL be playing for keeps on Wednesday. LAC, with a likely home win against Portland, play on the road at Sacramento. That's not an automatic win. Memphis won't be resting starters with a legit chance at home court.

Yes you're correct:

However, division champions do not necessarily have home-court advantage in the playoffs. Although the playoff brackets are not reseeded, home-court advantage is based strictly on regular-season record, regardless of whether or not a team won its division.

https://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=NBA_Playoffs_Format

MEM would have home court advantage to play for vs Jazz.

Another scenario we haven't envisaged is, if GSW somehow loses to the under strength SAS. (GSW currently trailing 50-52)

In that scenario, if HOU beats PHX, HOU would effectively clinch 6th spot and have nothing to play for vs LAL.

(Posted elsewhere, but since I haven't heard an answer) Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

If Rockets lose today, they're a game ahead of the Lakers. The Lakers could catch them with a win Wednesday. I think they'll have split their games if the Lakers win, and then the next tiebreaker to come into play is conference record. Lakers have a better conference record. Therefore, if Rockets lose today, the Lakers-Rockets game will be for the right to avoid 8th seed and facing the Thunder.

(Posted elsewhere, but since I haven't heard an answer) Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

If Rockets lose today, they're a game ahead of the Lakers. The Lakers could catch them with a win Wednesday. I think they'll have split their games if the Lakers win, and then the next tiebreaker to come into play is conference record. Lakers have a better conference record. Therefore, if Rockets lose today, the Lakers-Rockets game will be for the right to avoid 8th seed and facing the Thunder.

If that's the case the Lakers will be playing for the playoff spot and HOU will be playing to "avoid" the Thunder. (but they'll still face the Spurs anyway).

I guess the question then is - who is more motivated to win that game?

I think that's right -- barring miracle comeback in 30 seconds for Rockets, it will be impossible for Lakers to face Thunder in 1st round. They're either out or play Spurs.

So nothing really changes with Houston loss tonight -- Lakers still playing for playoff life, and Rockets still playing for seeding.

I think that's right -- barring miracle comeback in 30 seconds for Rockets, it will be impossible for Lakers to face Thunder in 1st round. They're either out or play Spurs.

So nothing really changes with Houston loss tonight -- Lakers still playing for playoff life, and Rockets still playing for seeding.

Well if HOU had beaten PHX, then HOU would have been 1 game up on GSW, and no reason to take the LAL game seriously. (they hold a tie break vs GSW).

Now that HOU lost, the LAL game becomes more important somewhat. But they're still in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of the LAL game...

Well if HOU had beaten PHX, then HOU would have been 1 game up on GSW, and no reason to take the LAL game seriously. (they hold a tie break vs GSW).

No, Rockets would be tied with GS now if they had won tonight. The LA game still would have meant something to them.

No, Rockets would be tied with GS now if they had won tonight. The LA game still would have meant something to them.

Yes you're right... I checked the standings on NBA.com before and it showed HOU and GSW with equal wins...

They're now updated with GSW having 1 more win.

they're still in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of the LAL game...

Yes, LA's motivation is still higher. But that was the case all along. The best we could hope for is that the game meant something to the Rockets. And maybe it means more to try to stay out of 8th than fighting between 7th & 6th. Getting 6th rather than 7th would only mean a date with the red-hot Nuggets rather than the fading Spurs. But maybe avoiding the Thunder will be more motivation

Yes, LA's motivation is still higher. But that was the case all along. The best we could hope for is that the game meant something to the Rockets. And maybe it means more to try to stay out of 8th than fighting between 7th & 6th. Getting 6th rather than 7th would only mean a date with the red-hot Nuggets rather than the fading Spurs. But maybe avoiding the Thunder will be more motivation

I think Lakers match up relatively well against HOU though. Defensively they can put Metta on Harden to try and shut him down. Offensively they have the 2 towers in Howard & Gasol, I don't think Asik is enough to guard both those guys.

Also they're playing at Staples Centre and you know the refs will be helping the Lakers... I think Lakers blow this game open in the 3rd and never looked back.

We'll see how many FTs Harden gets (though I heard he took a shot in the knee from Scola today -- hope he'll be healthy)

We'll see how many FTs Harden gets (though I heard he took a shot in the knee from Scola today -- hope he'll be healthy)

Yeah he was a non-factor after the bump, with only 16pt, wearing a knee brace playing out the game.

If I were McHale and I'm down by 15pt by half time I'd sit Harden. But if Lakers are missing shots, not playing well, then play him out.

Rockets are beating the Lakers. And the Blazers are sneaking up on the Warriors.

If Rockets win and Blazers beat the Warriors, we would move to the 7th spot. Giving us 1 pick better!!! lol