What's new

On the record...

What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. The problem is that I don’t believe you realize it doesn’t make sense. The Wolves don’t have to build **** around Gobert. The fact that Quin allowed everyone else to coast on defense and have “Rudy lol” as the only defensive strategy was part of our downfall. Not because of Rudy but in spite of him. That’s one reason for optimism in Miinesota because the rest of the team isn’t conditioned to think “I don’t need to do **** because Rudy will do it.”
Rudy is one of the most unique players in the NBA because he's really the only top tier center or even player for that matter that's pretty limited offensively. And his biggest strength is his ability to defend the rim on defense so your system has to be one that funnels players towards him in the paint. You can't just play a 5 out, switch everything type of defense and you have to accomodate his strengths on offense too because he literally doesn't score outside of 3 feet.

I don't even think our guys were conditioned to think that way, Rudy was just so elite defensively in the regular season he covered it up. But in the playoffs when teams have weeks to prepare to play you 4-7 times they're going to find mismatches.

Yeah because Donovan is propped up by the GOAT. Numbers got noise. You cant just look at them and know anything., You have to have the context.

The same numbers you use to call Rudy the goat are the same ones McDaniels fails at lolz.

He has it in him for sure... just not sure if that happens in the next year or two. I think they have a lot of potential... but don't see them as a top 3 team in the Western conference yet (though they may finish there record wise).

They most definitely aren’t finishing higher than 4th or 5th.

They most definitely aren’t finishing higher than 4th or 5th.
Oh I think they could in the regular season. Healthy Rudy, KAT, and ANT would put them firmly in the top 4 for the regular season. If I had to name teams I think can win the Western Conference playoffs I have them behind Phoenix, GS, LAC, Denver, and likely in the same group as Lakers (if they get something for Westbrook) and Memphis (who I think is getting a little too cute and needed to make win-now move imo).

Oh I think they could in the regular season. Healthy Rudy, KAT, and ANT would put them firmly in the top 4 for the regular season. If I had to name teams I think can win the Western Conference playoffs I have them behind Phoenix, GS, LAC, Denver, and likely in the same group as Lakers (if they get something for Westbrook) and Memphis (who I think is getting a little too cute and needed to make win-now move imo).
Forgot Dallas... would have them slightly behind Dallas. Again... in the regular season I could see them getting as high as 2nd or 3rd because Rudy is a regular season god.

Going into the season (assuming we trade Don and go tank commander) I'd probably rank the Western Conference teams:

1. Warriors
2. Clippers
3. Suns
4. Nuggets
5. Grizzlies
6. Mavericks
7. Timberwolves
8. Pelicans
9. Lakers
10. Blazers

I know... but its 4 picks, a swap, and also expiring contracts or guys on rookie/cheap deals. They cleared the cap of a 4 year 123M deal that may not age well. Normally you get 4 quarters for your dollar and walk away a little meh... we got like 6 quarters for the dollar. Vando and Beverly i believe can easily be flipped for another good first... maybe more. Kessler - who knows... I'm not a big fan. Beasley is a nice reclamation project and even has a team option if he works out... which increases his trade value if he has a good first half of the year.

Trading Don for win-now pieces doesn't change the fact that Ingles is ded, Mike is aging, Royce stopped playing defense, and Bogey is still awesome but has maybe 2 more awesome years? If we would have filled the pipeline a bit more you could justify a pivot but the pipeline is beyond empty. It was the right move imo even if it doesn't yield a lotto pick.

I truly feel like these deals where a million unprotected picks are thrown out in a yolo trade will start to disappear as the checks start coming due.
We traded a dollar and got back $4 worth of 49th Street Gallaria tokens.

Here is the off-season rant/boast thread. Go on the record here for anything that floats your boat. Want to tout a specific player? Go for it. Make a prediction about win-loss or playoffs? Have at it? Rant about the ****** officiating in the NBA today? Get after it!

For me I want to go on the record to say that I hate that we traded Gobert. Yeah I know for the long run it is best for the team, but he was a supreme competitor and a generational talent and I loved having him on our team. He was one of the more entertaining players we have ever had and we haven't had anyone with his loyalty in a long long time. Sad to see him go and I hope he gets a ring and a couple more DPOY since he should have 2 more right now. Got robbed. ****ing voter fatigue ********.

Ok, next?
Yeah, I hear ya! Good for Rudy though-he’ll flourish up there. NBA today didn’t even mention the Wolves in their East/West rundowns instead naming Warriors, Clippers, Suns, Nuggets and Mavs. Wolves are my new small market underdog rooting interest. Love to see those stuffed shirts proved wrong and blow some minds!

On the record…. I really hate all this tank business. Yeah sure it coincides with a stacked draft class (hope it’s deep) but we get three bites at the cherry regardless. You build up a rapport with a team and then the guys you trust and believe in are all traded away for lottery tickets? And that’s if you’re lucky - most will probably turn out to be St. Mary’s raffle prizes.

The whole process assumes that the fault (failure to launch) fell on the players while my suspicion was always with our Nervous Nellie coach. But now that Gobert and Royce and Trent and Paschall and Bo Cruz are all gone, I guess we’ll never know for sure. And we sure as hell won’t get any idea of what kinda coach Hardy is, if his mandate is to lose as many games as possible.

But there’s still an outside chance that no deal is done before the season starts. What happens then? Most on here seem to think we still divest where possible and tank around Mitchell. But everything I read and hear elsewhere suggests we might just keep our best pieces and play it straight. A really big part of me would prefer that second scenario. Then Mitchell shows out for another shot at beating Gobert in the # of picks dept. and we become the ultimate underdog on a mission! Go Jazz!

We traded a dollar and got back $4 worth of 49th Street Gallaria tokens.
I prefer to call it the FU center.

I hear ya but I don't see it that way at all. I think Minny has more potential to look back on the trade as a huge mistake than we do. I realize picks can seem like magic beans but they are valuable and there is so much that can happen with them. I don't wish him an injury of course, but Rudy has stayed pretty healthy for a guy his size... but if he sustains an injury then their roster is a whole lot less deep and they have limited resources to maneuver. Long term they won't be able to retain D-Lo while keeping Rudy/KAT and extending ANT and McDaniels. They pushed in at a really interesting time and I wonder if it was a bit premature.

I guess this could backfire in me next draft, but I don't care.

**** the tank and the obsession with collecting draft picks.
There are certain people who are really into investing and saving, for a future date that never materializes. They continue to dump all money and make sacrifices to fill up retirement accounts and other things they don’t touch. A lot to admire about that, but they sacrifice memories and experiences while their kids are young and end up dying at 55.

I’m amazed OKC doesn’t have more fans because that’s many fans’ idea of nirvana.

How so? Rudy lead the league in defensive rating.
Well, it's a team stat and Jazz were good in the regular season and Rudy is pretty unique.

Chris Paul had better D-rating than Mikal Bridges and he was the single worst liability in the playoffs.

Who you play with matters a lot in D rating. It's much better used as a team stat or to see how 3-man line-ups do.

There are certain people who are really into investing and saving, for a future date that never materializes. They continue to dump all money and make sacrifices to fill up retirement accounts and other things they don’t touch. A lot to admire about that, but they sacrifice memories and experiences while their kids are young and end up dying at 55.

I’m amazed OKC doesn’t have more fans because that’s many fans’ idea of nirvana.
I love you but this is super dumb.