What's new

OPJ FTW

Why do people think that Chicago wouldn't want Conley? They were one of the rumored teams after him last year, and there's multiple articles from their SB Nation-type reporters that think they should try and trade for him again. Philly makes the most sense by far tbh, but I'd be shocked if he had any interest in Horford or Harris

How do we get him? A 3-team deal with Philly wherein we send Conley to Philly, Philly sends Tobias to Chi, and we get OPJ? Is there any other scenario that even has a whiff of probability to it? (Not that this scenario has much of a whiff).
In that case, why not trading Conley for Tobias straight up? Porter have been plagued by injuries.

However I don't see this happening for the following reasons:
1) Why would Philly do it? If they blow it up, they should get young players (or solid starters bellow 30)+ picks
2) I like Tobias but I think Bojan at 17M/year give you 85% of his production.
3) Not long ago OPJ was on the Jazz radar. With all his injuries I'm wondering if that's still the case.
4) We lack depth. So if we trade Conley, we'll probably be looking at adding at least two decent players (probably role players) rather than one making 25-35M.
5) I'm not sure DL/Zanik are ready to move Conley. Usually the FO wants too see what they have in their hands before they pull the trigger. See how long it took to move Exum. It also took two years of Rubio, Crowder and Favors/Rudy to decide those players were expendable (or the lineup wasn't working in the case of Rudy/Favs). The FO will probably make moves around the edges rather than a big trade and then see what happens once Bojan is back. Then I can see a very active trade market at the deadline, not free agency. Key is who we get with the MLE and vet min with probably one minor trade during the offseason.

Last edited:
1) Why would Philly do it? If they blow it up, they should get young players (or solid starters bellow 30)+ picks
And the pathway forward there is getting off of contracts.
2) I like Tobias but I think Bojan at 17M/year give you 85% of his production.
Exactly. If not more.
3) Not long ago OPJ was on the Jazz radar. With all his injuries I'm wondering if that's still the case.
This may be the only saving grace for DL, as he can scratch previous itches.
4) We lack depth. So if we trade Conley, we'll probably be looking at adding at least two decent players (probably role players) rather than one making 25-35M.
I think a Conley for OPJ swap alone gives you more depth, because currently all of our depth is in the guard spots, and you can't close with all those guys. OPJ takes minutes from guys who are fringe NBA players. You have Bojan coming back then adding a real center, even if that's just Udoh, but you could still grab Favors.
5) I'm not sure DL/Zanik are ready to move Conley. Usually the FO wants too see what they have in their hands before they pull the trigger. See how long it took to move Exum. It also took two years of Rubio, Crowder and Favors/Rudy to decide those players were expendable (or the lineup wasn't working in the case of Rudy/Favs). The FO will probably make moves around the edges rather than a big trade and then see what happens once Bojan is back. I can see a very active trade market at the deadline, not free agency.
Unfortunately true. But realizing what can happen (Exum for Clarkson) when you let go of the delusions should give provide a modicum of self-reflection for the FO.

We signed Corey Maggete to an offer sheet that same year right?
Yes, but I wanted Brand. I saw him more in the mold of a Malone. I think maybe that was still the time that we thought Lopez would be our Stockton.

Why do people think that Chicago wouldn't want Conley? They were one of the rumored teams after him last year, and there's multiple articles from their SB Nation-type reporters that think they should try and trade for him again. Philly makes the most sense by far tbh, but I'd be shocked if he had any interest in Horford or Harris
Yes, but then they signed Satoransky and they also drafted White... so they have Lavine, Sato, White.. they could bring back Dunn or draft a guard too. I think they'd rather have OP than conley.

In the frontcourt they have Carter and Markanan and neither has really lit the world on fire. I could see Horford tutoring Carter and helping the other guys develop... he's a guy that generally does things that help others be successful, screening, passing, solid defense.... just a make the right play type of guy. The Philly fit was bad for a thousand reasons... everyone in Philly underperformed as well. Brown either sucks as a coach or got no buy in.

If Chicago did want Conley I think they'd more likely be moving Sato and Young and it would be much more about creating a ton of space the following year.

So here's my team, throwing in a couple bites for @Handlogten's Heros and @NAOS :

- Move Conley in some kind of deal that gets you OPJ back.
- Move TB and Davis for Favors.
- Toss any combo of any of our minimum guys into these deals to incentivize or cut salary.
- Sign Dunn with part of the MLE.
- Sign Shaq for the minimum.
- Move Joe to the bench to play with Favors.

Mitchell / Dunn
O'Neale / Clarkson
Bojan / Ingles
OPJ / Harrison
Gobert / Favors

You now have a balanced defense/offense.

So here's my team, throwing in a couple bites for @Handlogten's Heros and @NAOS :

- Toss any combo of any of our minimum guys into these deals to incentivize or cut salary.

Mitchell / Dunn
O'Neale / Clarkson
Bojan / Ingles
OPJ / Harrison
Gobert / Favors

I’d watch that lineup.

Mitchell / Dunn
O'Neale / Clarkson
Bojan / Ingles
OPJ / Harrison
Gobert / Favors

Its ambitious... there'd be some 2nd round picks involved in the TB Davis deal. I'd likely go a different route than Dunn if we had Shaq (he can play 1-3). I'd take it.

Its ambitious... there'd be some 2nd round picks involved in the TB Davis deal. I'd likely go a different route than Dunn if we had Shaq (he can play 1-3). I'd take it.
What route would you go? Keep Georges?

Yes, but then they signed Satoransky and they also drafted White... so they have Lavine, Sato, White.. they could bring back Dunn or draft a guard too. I think they'd rather have OP than conley.

In the frontcourt they have Carter and Markanan and neither has really lit the world on fire. I could see Horford tutoring Carter and helping the other guys develop... he's a guy that generally does things that help others be successful, screening, passing, solid defense.... just a make the right play type of guy. The Philly fit was bad for a thousand reasons... everyone in Philly underperformed as well. Brown either sucks as a coach or got no buy in.

If Chicago did want Conley I think they'd more likely be moving Sato and Young and it would be much more about creating a ton of space the following year.
Bulls needs a veteran mentor and Conley could fit that role. Coby White and Sato aren't real PGs. One is score-first microwave player and the other being the representation of modern day positionless basketball(that's why I wanted Sato). Kris Dunn can't shoot or stay healthy so I doubt the Bulls bring him back.

Horford makes sense for them too but he is on a much worse contrat so if the FO is willing to talk to the Bulls about the move, I think we are just as likely to land OPJ as any other team.

Jazz did like him and would have offered him a contract if Hayward hadn't left us hanging.

One issue with him is can guard him with a smaller player. He doesn't really punish anyone on offense and Bojan is similar in that regard.

I would be okay if this was the trade though. He offers defense and shooting. His rebounding is decent add well.

What route would you go? Keep Georges?
There are lots of routes... I'd have to assume that we were able to negotiate both DM and Rudy to extensions.

I'm not exactly sure but I'd love a stretch 5 as the backup instead of Favs if we are going the higher priced route. Of the realistic scenarios out there I am kind of thinking we should keep Oni, Brantley, Morgan and let them fill in the rotation pieces... that's why it bugs me we didn't really give them much of a shot at playing. I am not sure what we have and we might have some of the answers in those guys. I would keep Niang around... he's worth a roster spot... I'd cut the hell out of NWG. I'd likely cut Tucker or trade him if he has value.

As far as additions I'm going to get Shaq... would probably do a little better than a minimum deal over 3-4 years to get him cheap and keep him cheap for when he blows up.

Backup center I guess is the focus of my offseason. I'm likely poking around the Jamychal Green's of the world to find a guy that can pose as a 5 but can shoot. Going to tell Quin the bench units need to not funnel to the middle like they do with Rudy.

IDK... give me some time. I'm cool with your stuff here... I just think there is no way in hell we even consider trading Mike or benching him at all. Like it is tattooed on DL left *** cheek that MIKE CONLEY IS A STARTING PG... he had to paint over the DANTE EXUM IS SPECIAL tattoo he got 5 years ago and he is not doing that again.

Ohhhhhhhh @infection the stage is set for you to get your wish. Bulls hire Billy Donovan who has a Hayward Stevens like love affair with his formal Al Horford... philly wants to get off money but would prefer an off the dribble creator. Jazz send Mike and take Otto from Chicago spare parts and draft picks sprinkled in where needed to make it work (philly provides any sweeteners).

I don’t actually believe we’d do it but wanted to get your hopes up.

Its hard to believe anyone would want Mike Conley. How do you sell an aging, underperforming PG on a bad 1 year contract. Infection give us your best pitch.

Is there a Joker GM out there that just wants to burn 34.5 million dollars?
Careless-White-Duckbillcat-small.gif