What's new

P90x

Oh I forgot about this thread. I have 2 weeks under my belt too (lol....pun) and so far so good. It is all dependent on how hard you work it. I have lost almost 8 pounds in 2 weeks. For some reason thought it would come off faster (I started at 303 lbs.). The biggest thing is after 2 weeks I feel like I can walk further without getting out of breath. Have been seeing my doctor regarding blood pressure. It will be interesting to see what it is at now after a couple weeks of P90. I notice I have fewer headaches which my doctor said were probably blood pressure related.

Good for you man. Stick with it and get healthy. The hardest part of the program is probably not quitting as soon as a curve ball gets thrown into your life or something...at least for me, since I am so schedule oriented.

How many hours a day do you have to dedicate to P90X? Do you need to exercise around the same time each day or could you do morning one day, then evening the next? Thinking about starting, but scheduling could be an issue.

You can do it anytime on a given day, but the workouts vary in length. I think Yoga is the longest at around 1.5 hours, while the shortest ones are around 45-50 minutes. Most generally take about an hour or so to complete though.

You also need to do a 15 minute Ab ripper a few times a week. Plan on an hour and a half a day to include setup and everything.

I'm almost a month and a half in and Plyo still makes me want to curl up into a fetal ball and sob. Yoga got easier. Kempo was never close to difficult for me. Plyo is something Satan invented. And I was in decent shape before I started. I can't believe how much that workout sucks.

I agree plyo is the killer. That tells you that it is doing the most too.

Cheated a little during this week. Because we started p90 on a Wednesday, my roommate and I decided to get the weekly routine on track so that the first workout started on a Sunday, so we did the first three workouts (chest and back, plyometrics, arms and shoulders) twice in a week. Also, on Friday night I consumed 5 alcoholic beverages, which is not part of the meal plan.
Yeah, I too started the whole program over after a couple weeks, just so that I could start on Sunday. Saturday is generally my one party day/night and I was finding excuses to avoid working out. Since I switched Saturdays to my recovery day I've been good to go.

And I'm a strict pescetarian with no dairy or egg in my diet, so I haven't even looked at the nutrition guide. All I've done differently is throw down about 30g of Hemp Protein every day. Other than that I still drink a healthy amount of beer and whiskey. As long as you're not trying to lose weight, just get cut, I don't think it's all that problematic. In fact, I'd be worried if I started losing weight, so the empty beer carbs are almost something I feel I need in my diet.

What sucks is that I could care less about my legs or cardio or athletic performance or weight loss. I just wanna look good. And if I didn't feel Plyo was probably doing a number on my lower abs and hip flexors, I'd just quit and switch it out for more Kempo. On the other hand, if you're trying to lose weight, I'd imagine plyo is about as good a route as exists.

What sucks is that I could care less about my legs or cardio or athletic performance or weight loss. I just wanna look good. And if I didn't feel Plyo was probably doing a number on my lower abs and hip flexors, I'd just quit and switch it out for more Kempo. On the other hand, if you're trying to lose weight, I'd imagine plyo is about as good a route as exists.

I am combining mine with krav maga cqc fitness sessions too, and in krav leg and core strength are key. My biggest goal is weight loss and strength. I know I will look better along the way but I am most interested in getting into fighting shape so to speak.

Last edited:
Elbows keep coming with the updates...sounds like the partner is helping things out..

I'm almost a month and a half in and Plyo still makes me want to curl up into a fetal ball and sob. Yoga got easier. Kempo was never close to difficult for me. Plyo is something Satan invented. And I was in decent shape before I started. I can't believe how much that workout sucks.

I did the plyo workout this morning, and I am hating the stairs at work. I feel like I am going to fall down each step I take even though I am using the handrail.

The first time I did Plyo X, I had to work the next day and it was all I could do to get in and out of my truck and walk 15 feet after being all stiff from driving for an hour or so. I probably shouldn't have gone all out on the first try...

And, as far as equipment goes, bluenote, all you need is dumbbells (I bought Power Block adjustable dumbbells a year or so ago and love them...you can find them on Amazon), resistance bands, and a place to do pull ups (although, you can use the bands to imitate pull ups as well). You may need a mat too if you don't have a carpeted surface to lay on and sit on while you work out and stuff.

I can't believe it, but I'm starting this garbage. I've decided to take two weeks and attempt to get my body into real workout shape so I don't end up dying halfway through the first video. I've done the Yoga 3 days in a row now and I've gotten a little further into the video each day. It's amazing how much better you feel after you're done, until you wake up the next day and realize you can't even sit to crap.

My. Legs. Hurt.

Im rooting for you Balloun!!! Pretty soon I can leave the "n" off you last name.

I've never tried the workout. I do an elliptical for 45 mins and then swim a little more than a mile. Combine that with watching what I eat (cutting out the **** and smaller portions) and I'm down 45 lbs. since Jan. 10.
My biggest hangup about trying something like p90x is that I get up at 4am to go to the gym. I've learned something about myself: If I don't get up early to work out, it doesn't happen. When I get home from work my wife and kids demand attention, plus I have other stuff to do, so the workout just doesn't happen. I worry about trying an at home workout (like P90X) that I would wake up my wife and/or kids. That would not be a good thing. At the moment, the only place to workout in my house is in the family room, right down the hall from the bedrooms. Is this a real casue for concern? Or is it something I've made up in my head? Plus, my kids are SUPER light sleepers.

I've never tried the workout. I do an elliptical for 45 mins and then swim a little more than a mile. Combine that with watching what I eat (cutting out the **** and smaller portions) and I'm down 45 lbs. since Jan. 10.
My biggest hangup about trying something like p90x is that I get up at 4am to go to the gym. I've learned something about myself: If I don't get up early to work out, it doesn't happen. When I get home from work my wife and kids demand attention, plus I have other stuff to do, so the workout just doesn't happen. I worry about trying an at home workout (like P90X) that I would wake up my wife and/or kids. That would not be a good thing. At the moment, the only place to workout in my house is in the family room, right down the hall from the bedrooms. Is this a real casue for concern? Or is it something I've made up in my head? Plus, my kids are SUPER light sleepers.

Make sure all the bedroom doors are closed. Have the tv on mute and strap on your ipod with some headphones. Its what I do.

I do P90X in the garage and in by bedroom since it is big enough and has a tv and dvd player.

I was sick for a few days so I took a couple days off. Picked up again where I had left off and was dead sore for another 3 days. Ugh.

Make sure all the bedroom doors are closed. Have the tv on mute and strap on your ipod with some headphones. Its what I do.

My kids sleep with their doors closed. They still wake up about 80-90% of the time when I open the door to leave. I think they have a disease. They only hear me well when they are asleep, the rest of the time I am on their ignore list.