What's new

Players only meeting.

a person with a billion dollars donating a million dollars is like someone making $40000/year donating $40.

These vampires can shell out much, much more. That's not to mention the fact that they actually do not actually work for their wages-- their possession of money and assets makes them money.

Of course, the rot of capitalism has done a number on Americans to the point where many (most?) side with billionaires ahead of working basketball players who routinely give back more than their bosses (example: Zion paying the salaries of workers laid off when ownership never did).

I'm warmed by the wildcat strike. Its spontaneity was educational but its lack of organization and solidarity led to its early end. It's too bad-- I honestly think the NBA could spearhead a general strike across North America, something that may be needed before millions more die from covid this winter.

I love it when I hear of pro players giving to their communities. I don't disagree that the owners shouldn't help develop their communities either. However, isn't that exactly what they are doing with the 300 million? Jordan's company is also giving an additional 100 million over 10 years as well. So we are nearing half a billion dollars, probably even more than that if we do some real homework but to some this is not enough? Should they give all of their earnings away? What's the dollar point where it's acceptable?

ANY comment degrading someone based on race or skin color is by definition racism. When you bring skin color into the fight you cross a line. If you want change, don't cross the line.

Kenny Smith said it was inappropriate. I concur.

I wouldn't defend calling people racially motivated names. I certainly wouldn't say that it is somehow not racially motivated.

It doesn't compare to shooting someone in the back 7 times from point blank range. Absolutely true. We should be outraged as people. There is history that cannot be dismissed. But if we are going to move on then people need to not cross the line. PEOPLE, not some group of people as defined by skin color. Not white boys or African Americans.

Respect. Don't cross the line.
I'm not defending him. I also said it's wrong.

It's not racism though by definition or actuality. A white person is not minority or marginalized group. He is not being discriminated against. White people do not have prejudice against them for the color of their skin.

It's not comparable to saying a similar statement towards a black person.

If you want to make a difference stop thinking white people are also being subject to racism and victims. They are not. They might face other issues but their skin color is not one.

Maybe do some research on reverse racism. It's very interesting and useful information.

How does any amount of money fix these poor black kids growing up with no father, no outlets outside of drugs and gangs, destroyed infrastructure, and elected officials(red and blue)who have had decades to do something and haven't done jack ****?

Put their resources into stopping these actions before they happen. Let's talk about the rap sheets on the guy that sexually assaulted a minor and the career drug addict. These are the problems that need to be addressed as well. You get inner cities off of drugs, get them out of gangs, get them out of the true systemic system you just watch arrest drop dramatically. Watch police brutality do the same.

Now you tell me, what has kneeling and a one game haitus changed? Me asking that question is not mocking anybody it's mocking the fact that Kaep kneeled nothing changed, players take a day off, and I think the same thing will happen once emotions die down.
That question has been answered multiple times. Kneeling and protests have swung public opinion in favor of police reform and allowed many changes in laws and policies to happen, too many to list. There are a lot more to come, especially after elections. Kaep made a huge difference. You can choose to ignore that but it doesn't change it happened and is happening. Kneeling started things and these protests have made a lot of big changes. People already showed you what happened in Cleveland due to the NBA deciding not to play.

How does any amount of money fix these poor black kids growing up with no father, no outlets outside of drugs and gangs, destroyed infrastructure, and elected officials(red and blue)who have had decades to do something and haven't done jack ****?
Long term it won't. But eliminating racism and racist policies will. Short term more money to people will get them out of poverty which will keep dad's home. It helps prevent a life of crime and gangs.

Again protests have made a huge difference so far. Many policies changed and most importantly for the first time in American history public opinion is in favor of making change due to realizing racism exists still.

Also keep in mind the same percentage of white people and black people do recreational drugs in America. Only black people are attested at as much much higher level for it.

What do ALL of these police shootings have in common? NONE of the suspects listened to or complied with the instructions given by the police.
What instructions did they give Breonna Taylor? Tamir Rice? Philando Castile? (They told him not to reach for his gun. He didn't. So much for "comply and it will be OK," right?)

You have proven yourself, right here, to be an ideologue. Let's see if you are an idiot, too.

I have seen people disobey mask mandates. I say anyone who doesn't wear a mask where it's required should be shot. Then after they get shot we just say, well you should have worn a mask.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

If said Karen had a warrant out for their arrest, was known to carry firearms, was resisting arrest, and was likely going for a weapon then your comparison makes sense I guess.

They did something other than canceling games which literally does nothing.
Obviously they do what they can. It’s not up to them to fix it. It’s up to them to ask for help, it’s up to us to change and fix it. When someone..... let’s say Archie Moses says them asking for help does nothing that’s you being incapable of feeling compassion and refusing to lift a finger and understanding our responsibility for helping to stamp out systemic racism.

to answer your question, you’re right, it does nothing because you aren’t willing to help or feel anything for your brother from another mother other than criticizing them asking you for help.

it seems all we Americans no is how to get ours. Me me me!!! We truely are idiots!!

What instructions did they give Breonna Taylor? Tamir Rice? Philando Castile? (They told him not to reach for his gun. He didn't. So much for "comply and it will be OK," right?)

You have proven yourself, right here, to be an ideologue. Let's see if you are an idiot, too.
I’ve seen videos of countless black men being killed by cops wile having hands behind their heads and on knees, shot from a safe distance. What did they do to provoke being killed by a cop?

If said Karen had a warrant out for their arrest, was known to carry firearms, was resisting arrest, and was likely going for a weapon then your comparison makes sense I guess.
The poster I responded to simply said that not obeying commands is why people are shot. The police are a part of government. So if government commands the wearing of a mask, like say a mandate, and someone doesn't wear a mask then they deserve to be shot

Also, not every person shot by police were resisting arrest or going for a weapon or whatever. Sometimes they are just sleeping in their beds or they are just 12 years old and black and are playing with a toy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I love it when I hear of pro players giving to their communities. I don't disagree that the owners shouldn't help develop their communities either. However, isn't that exactly what they are doing with the 300 million? Jordan's company is also giving an additional 100 million over 10 years as well. So we are nearing half a billion dollars, probably even more than that if we do some real homework but to some this is not enough? Should they give all of their earnings away? What's the dollar point where it's acceptable?

I'm afraid it's going to take more than money to change things for the Black community. W. Kamau Bell brought up a good case for restitution for slavery in an episode of United Shades of America on CNN (excellent program by the way) a week or two back. It wouldn't be the first time. The most interesting aspect to me was that immediately after the Civil War, restitution was paid to the former Slave Owners that had given up their slaves. A prominent academic economist argued that American Capitalism was built on the backs of slavery. It was a compelling argument, but haven't we done enough already with government programs? More on that later. Still, I'm not sure that restitution payment would solve anything.

When are people going to realize that racism is a two-way street? Can anybody even begin to imagine the vitriolic reaction to an organization called "White Lives Matter". Even to bring it up in polite conversation runs the risk of being labeled a White Supremacist. But we embrace an organization that focuses entirely on injustice towards African Americans, hell corporations even support it with cash contributions. I mean where were they when attention was shone on the inhumane treatment and dozens of lives lost at border detention centers? Then there's the NAACP and the United Negro College Fund, you name it. How many have sent a donation to the UNCF and then realized that thanks to affirmative action programs, admission standards are already much lower for minorities with greater scholarship opportunities, I mean where does White Guilt end? Maybe it ends where Black Accountability begins.

What is it about Black Culture in this country? Why is it that the highest percentage of single parent households in this Country is Black. Why is it that the highest percentage of deadbeat dads is Black. Why is it that the majority of homicides committed in this Country continue to be Black perps/Black victims even though Blacks represent only 13.4% of the population? Why is it that one white police officer killing or injuring a black perpetrator leads to weeks and sometimes months of protests, destruction of property and looting and yet the response to a gang related drive by shooting is only a phone call to law enforcement? Of course, then this cycle of violence in the Black community is then blamed on White America. The evil white man archetype pervades all, it's omnipresent in the Black community from the Church pulpit to the rhymes of popular rappers. Race-baiting is everywhere it seems.

So who do we turn to in this time of need? I watched an extensive interview after the Blake shooting on CNN with none other than Charles Barkley. Chuck argued that the problem in this Country is one of segregation. He said White America has such little direct contact with Blacks, Hispanics and Muslims that they only respond to them through the stereotypes depicted in movies and the media. I don't know, I'm middle class and I live in a culdesac that's 50% Black, 40% White (less than that, my wife is first generation emigrant Hispanic) and 10% Asian. I work in a school that is 40% Black and 30% Hispanic. I look around and increasingly see mixed marriages and mixed progeny. Spent some vacation time in Brian Head and was encouraged to see a few locals in Deliverance Country in mixed (black white) marriages. Who says things haven't improved? And Native Americans, they're the best, they don't know what category they fall into so they're nice to everyone. (Not that way coming up in SLC in the 60's and 70's though; remember a couple of run ins with N.A.s off the reservation. But shouldn't the original inhabitants have a bigger chip than even descendants of American Slaves after our campaigns of genocide and sterilization? My wife brought up this argument regarding the atrocities of the Conquistadors in South America and the lack of enmity today.)

Then I listened to Kenny the Jet float his more appropriate theory of systemic racism. He says his thing is to ask any multiracial room how many have had a gun pointed at them. In his view, it's generally Black folks that have and generally a police officer pointing the gun. I don't question that although I'm white and I was almost blown away by police officers after sticking my head out a window of a car to ask a question while stopped by police. I had two guns drawn on me and when it was all said and done we were able to drive home with no charges levied and no idea why we (two white boys) were pulled over. But I don't doubt that the incidence of that type of thing happens more frequently in the Black Community. But is that because of systemic racism or because of racial profiling? Or are they one and the same? I don't believe they are. All I know is that I would never consider wrestling an armed police officer to the ground. Respect and compliance to Law Enforcement, not disrespect and defiance that's my way and I've had a pretty good run so far.

My how things have changed. Watched a documentary called Yusef Hawkins, Storm over Brooklyn last night. Another reminder of how much race relations have improved in this Country. I mean it was dangerous to be caught in the wrong neighborhood after dark in NYC in the 80s. Reverend Al Sharpton led the fight in that one though he may have gotten a little help from Louis Farrakhan and others. I gotta say that I was damn impressed with Sharpton and his tactics. I had heard some rather disparaging stories about him but from what I can see, he was and continues to be, a man of principle. He got members of the Black community to march repeatedly through predominantly white (Italian American) Bensonhurst where Hawkins was murdered. There was no destruction of property though they were verbally and physically assaulted by local residents and police. Thanks to Sharpton and the movement he spearheaded, the community was forced to give up the gunman who was then convicted and sentenced to 35 years. But more importantly, the negative publicity led to more open race relations between the burroughs.

So I guess what I'm saying is "why can't we be more homogeneous as United States Citizens? Why can't we look back and see all the positive change that has taken place in this respect? I remember reading several years ago, a Cultural Anthropologist saying that the racial heritage of American Blacks is 30% White. And that was before the recent explosion of mixed marriages and or mixed progeny. Why is it still a Black/White debate when the real story has always been haves and have nots. At the end of the day after the two day walkout, the athletes will still be haves and their communities predominantly have nots. I look at what Andre Agassi has done in Las Vegas and what Tim Duncan has done in San Antonio; now that's commitment, not just some random empty gesture. In the end, we'll never be able to coexist if we can't get on the same page regarding values, trust and culture and that only happens through dedication and commitment I believe.

Last edited:
This is the type ignorance that eats away at society. Any time you make an assumption about ANYBODY of ANY COLOR, you tear away at equality. Everybody must be treated the same. At the end of the day, that's what everybody needs. That's what everybody deserves.

Judge a person not by the color of their skin but the content of their character.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I appreciate you paraphrasing Dr. King there. Give that you agree with him I wanted to bring up that your thoughts on assumptions about people are a description of bigotry, which is what we would call someone holding negative assumptions about a group of people based on an attribute not relevant to the evaluation.

Racism is a systemic issue, in which people experience oppression due to their race. Because of this, while name calling may reflect racism if the target is someone from an oppressed group, name calling is not inherently racist. However, it may be bigoted if it reflects an underlying negative assumption based on Luka being white.

Tamir and Philando were absolutely disgusting in every single way. Breonna Taylor I'm not so sure is race related, unless you tie in the war on drugs and the ability for cops to execute a no knock raid as racist, Which I wouldn't necessarily disagree with. But in regards to Breonna Taylor didn't they execute the no knock and when they knocked the door down her boyfriend started shooting and she was just caught in the cross fire? So if my facts are correct, which they very well may not be, it's more a matter of terrible policy than it is racist cops. Or am I missing something?

I appreciate you paraphrasing Dr. King there. Give that you agree with him I wanted to bring up that your thoughts on assumptions about people are a description of bigotry, which is what we would call someone holding negative assumptions about a group of people based on an attribute not relevant to the evaluation.

Racism is a systemic issue, in which people experience oppression due to their race. Because of this, while name calling may reflect racism if the target is someone from an oppressed group, name calling is not inherently racist. However, it may be bigoted if it reflects an underlying negative assumption based on Luka being white.

There are the really horrific actions of a racist officer all the way down to snide comments. I think it all has to be addressed if we truly want to see a brighter future. Everybody needs to be treated the same. Period. That's the only way forward. We can dissect the layers of racism all day. And I'm fully aware that the horrific racism far outweighs the surface level comments. I brought those up as part of the Harrell conversation and some are saying I'm stating an officer shooting is the same as being called a name on a basketball court. I'm not.

A parent planting a seed in a small white person's brain that they are better than people of color is unacceptable. I think it's also unacceptable for a parent to plant a seed in a small black person's brain that all white people are in any way, shape or form better than or given an easier life. 100% of the world's issues are how people are raised. A good parent won't allow their kid to wallow in self pity or treat others with disrespect or be a bad human being.

A good parent teaches their kid to tackle the mountain ahead of them and move on to the next one. Along the way, treat everybody the same.

BNTEB - Be Nice to EveryBody

Tamir and Philando were absolutely disgusting in every single way. Breonna Taylor I'm not so sure is race related, unless you tie in the war on drugs and the ability for cops to execute a no knock raid as racist, Which I wouldn't necessarily disagree with. But in regards to Breonna Taylor didn't they execute the no knock and when they knocked the door down her boyfriend started shooting and she was just caught in the cross fire? So if my facts are correct, which they very well may not be, it's more a matter of terrible policy than it is racist cops. Or am I missing something?

You're missing nothing. Her boyfriend opened fire which led to a fire fight and ultimately resulted in her death. The boyfriend should be charged with her murder and the attempted murder of the policemen who he shot.