What's new

Players only meeting.

Then read again. Several posters think the players are shooting themselves in the foot which sounds a lot to me like calling someone stupid.
Then you need to learn to listen better.
It's those kind of things that just make dealing with the situation that much harder. Exactly what antifa does when you express a different viewpoint.

Bullcrap it's racism and wrong period end of story. Shouldn't even have to be discussed.
Wrong? Yes, I think it's not nice and you shouldn't say that to someone. White people are not systematically being held down and hurt by society. Calling him white is meaningless. White people face plenty of life challenges, the color of their skin isn't one.

Is striking ever constructive in your mind? What exactly do you think would work best to change a deeply-entrenched racist system?

Striking is constructive for certain things. However, when has striking ever been constructive at changing racism? That's right..... never.

I've already thrown out several better alternatives (in my opinion) on the first page of this thread. I'd be happy to listen to reasons why the NBA cancelling the season is going improve things. I still haven't heard anything that makes sense.

Then you need to learn to listen better.
It's those kind of things that just make dealing with the situation that much harder. Exactly what antifa does when you express a different viewpoint.
Antifa isn't an organized group that acts the same. It's an idea to oppose fascism even if you have to physically. Some small groups have organized but not much.

@Michaelr raging with whataboutism, which is again, the last refuge of someone without any point of merit.
Listen please, I probably have Sox older than the most of the posters on here.
I got out of the military before the first gulf War, I've fought and beat cancer.
I would like to think that I have learned a few things about the world.
I'm going to be blunt and probably won't score any points when I say that people need to clean up their own house before they can change the world. 70% of black kids don't have a father at home.
Education in the inner city's sucks
Fix those problems first and then maybe we can fix the rest.

Numberica
I can trace my family tree on both sides back to before this country was a thing.
Not a single slave owner in the whole damn thing. Had a couple that died fighting the south, and a few that died fighting the British, several other members fought and died in ww1 and2.
So those who want to paint with a big giant brush just because my skin is a lighter shade can go straight down and say hi to the devil.
I spent a lot of time in uniform next MEN of all colors and love and respect most all of them all these years later.
I consider a select few of those MEN Brothers and they would say the same.
We can make a better world.
We can live together in harmony.
We can have peace. But it has to start with a willingness to listen, integrity, and respect for others who may have a completely different life experience and vision of the world.
You have been doing the same thing as those you are calling out.
I think you should quit watching CNN and Fox News.

I got out of the military before the first gulf War, I've fought and beat cancer.
I'm going to be blunt and probably won't score any points when I say that people need to clean up their own house before they can change the world. 70% of black kids don't have a father at home.
The first part of what you said isn't really connected.

Yeah! You tell those kids! How dare they grow up without parents.

Have you addressed the fact that black people are stopped and arrested far more, taking them from their kids. They are given longer sentences for the same crime. Poverty also leads to issues. Poverty they was created by racists laws and people. That's what people are trying to fix. Education does suck in inner cities due to racist policies and is another thing people are trying to address.

Just because there are other issues doesn't mean we can't address this one. Cops shouldn't be racist and acting on that. They definitely shouldn't be killing unarmed people who aren't armed.

I'm sorry for your cancer, I hope you have a full recovery. It's an awful disease I hope we cure one day.

You’re an even bigger piece of **** than I thought.

But addressing your point, where do you think such a tragic tradition comes from? If you don’t think it’s a systemic issue, you have to attribute it to something else and I’m wondering what you think that is.

My wondering is rhetorical, by the way. Stunning display of ignorance made all the more inexcusable by flexing your age as though it were wisdom.

It’s going to be hilarious watching the players and owners fight over money they are going to loose. But some things are just bigger than money.

I don’t really care what happens, honestly the games were just not the same.
I kind of liked the games. I liked seeing what teams could do with no real home court advantage, level playing field.

I love how people criticize athletes for living vapid lives and doing nothing meaningful, then when athletes actually do something meaningful, they criticize them.
That is the nature of celebrity. Period.

Let's not pretend that the players are united in this. The Lakers and the Clippers voted to end the season and all the other teams voted to remain. If the season ends it is because a whole bunch of other players got cudgeled into conforming. THAT is your activism. Some players make ALL players bow down to their wild hair whim. If Lebron wants to go home, let him. That would be far more powerful a statement than kicking George Niang until he complies. If Donovan has to leave, then do it. Have a plan, I hope, but if he needs to do this then go ahead.

Making ALL of the NBA express the same political opinions in exactly the way that Lebron James wants seems kind of hollow. Making activism conform doesn't feel right. Let people be as involved or dis-involved as they want. I'm still old enough to remember the China controversy. A lot of NBA players didn't feel the need to make a big deal there with a message that would absolutely have made a difference. It wasn't anyone's job to push the players to denounce China. And most didn't. The NBA sure saw fit to punish those who did though. . .

I mean my big issue is despising the sexual assault of women. The whole endless birthday tribute to Kobe made me a little sick, but it's not my job to scold everyone else into submission. The cause is much bigger than Kobe Bryant's freaking birthday.

I just hope that whatever happens, players aren't forced into compliance by others whose financial security is set for life.

Strong argument there.

Especially in light of the idea that somehow, you're being punished here by players speaking out against injustice. That's not racist at all.

Quit judging people you don't know. Respect one another is the whole point of this movement. Please do so online as well as in person.

Wrong? Yes, I think it's not nice and you shouldn't say that to someone. White people are not systematically being held down and hurt by society. Calling him white is meaningless. White people face plenty of life challenges, the color of their skin isn't one.

My definition of a racist comment: If you substitute any skin color and say the same statement and it feels uncomfortable then it is likely racist and offensive to someone.

White boy - substituted for Black boy or whatever color you want doesn't feel right to me. I wouldn't defend calling someone that.

I liked Kenny Smiths response when he said that it is banter but it crosses a line that shouldn't be crossed and it is not respectful behavior. Which is why Harrel apologized. That's healing and being respectful. I applaud his actions.

The shooting was despicable and I would support effective, non-lethal weapons in police hands vs guns as an actual step towards stopping police excessive use of force.

Let's do some healing instead of being at each others throats folks on a witch hunt. Racism runs deeper than we sometimes realize but there is more need to heal than point fingers.

I respect whatever the players decide but I would be disappointed not to enjoy more playoff basketball. It has been fun to watch competitive sports. I have loved watching this jazz team.

My definition of a racist comment: If you substitute any skin color and say the same statement and it feels uncomfortable then it is likely racist and offensive to someone.

White boy - substituted for Black boy or whatever color you want doesn't feel right to me. I wouldn't defend calling someone that.

I liked Kenny Smiths response when he said that it is banter but it crosses a line that shouldn't be crossed and it is not respectful behavior. Which is why Harrel apologized. That's healing and being respectful. I applaud his actions.

The shooting was despicable and I would support effective, non-lethal weapons in police hands vs guns as an actual step towards stopping police excessive use of force.

Let's do some healing instead of being at each others throats folks on a witch hunt. Racism runs deeper than we sometimes realize but there is more need to heal than point fingers.

I respect whatever the players decide but I would be disappointed not to enjoy more playoff basketball. It has been fun to watch competitive sports. I have loved watching this jazz team.
I think it was a rude comment. But it's not the same as saying it the other way. The meaning and ramification are very different. That doesn't mean it can't offend someone.

Healing sounds great, let's fix the issues minorites have been facing forever here. That's going to be uncomfortable for a lot of people, maybe everyone.

Let's not pretend that the players are united in this. The Lakers and the Clippers voted to end the season and all the other teams voted to remain. If the season ends it is because a whole bunch of other players got cudgeled into conforming. THAT is your activism. Some players make ALL players bow down to their wild hair whim. If Lebron wants to go home, let him. That would be far more powerful a statement than kicking George Niang until he complies. If Donovan has to leave, then do it. Have a plan, I hope, but if he needs to do this then go ahead.

Making ALL of the NBA express the same political opinions in exactly the way that Lebron James wants seems kind of hollow. Making activism conform doesn't feel right. Let people be as involved or dis-involved as they want. I'm still old enough to remember the China controversy. A lot of NBA players didn't feel the need to make a big deal there with a message that would absolutely have made a difference. It wasn't anyone's job to push the players to denounce China. And most didn't. The NBA sure saw fit to punish those who did though. . .

I mean my big issue is despising the sexual assault of women. The whole endless birthday tribute to Kobe made me a little sick, but it's not my job to scold everyone else into submission. The cause is much bigger than Kobe Bryant's freaking birthday.

I just hope that whatever happens, players aren't forced into compliance by others whose financial security is set for life.

Maybe, just maybe, some of these players want to wait for the full details on this case before rushing to judgement. We know he was a convicted felon with a history of guns, we don't know if he was armed yet. Not everyone is as hopelessly lost as Numberica.

This is the type ignorance that eats away at society. Any time you make an assumption about ANYBODY of ANY COLOR, you tear away at equality. Everybody must be treated the same. At the end of the day, that's what everybody needs. That's what everybody deserves.

Judge a person not by the color of their skin but the content of their character.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app