What's new

Playing time

Stockton had an all-star playing in front of him. Stockton hardly sat on the bench. His first year he average 18 minutes a game, 2nd year 24 (started 38 games), 3rd year 23 minutes and he was the starter his fourth year averaging 35 minutes a game. So even with an all-star in front of him he got playing time. Burke has John Lucas III as competition.

Kobe came to a pretty good Laker team but his first year he play 1105 minutes and his second year he was over 2000 minutes so he hardly sat and watched his first two years. By his third he was averaging over 30 minutes and the rest is history.

I would like to see a link to the suppose assumption that DW was ever happy with not playing right away. Every interview I remember DW wasn't happy about it and I believe it was always a sore spot between the two.

So you're blaming the fact that Vanhorn played right away as proof why he didn't live up to his potential. Yea I guess the fact that he got hurt, he didn't develop/work on his game once teams figured out how to guard him and just maybe he was overrated as a player ( a tweener) might have affect his career too. It is a big stretch to simply state the reason why he wasn't an all-star had to do with him playing too soon.

I have no problem sitting a player if they are playing badly but the same standard should be enforced if a veteran player is playing poorly. Unfortunately this isn't the case. Last night Lucas was playing well, he was 3-3 then he started believing he was MJ and started shooting and missing too much, Ty simply ignored the fact that a game that was in reach soon became a blow out because he was protecting Burke because he had two fouls. Why not bring in Garrett (who has played well) and get Lucas out who was getting killed on the defensive end and playing selfishly on the offensive end. How has Biedrins earned playing time over Gobert? I could go on and on but the only vets who have earned playing time are Marvin Williams, Evans, and some games Jefferson.

Kobe didn't play behind an Allstar as far as I remember. And he played 10 maybe twelve minutes a game his first year.

As for D-Will. I never said he was happy about his benching, but in an interview he recognized it helped him, but also said he'd never forgive Sloan for the benching.

I know Stock was playing behind a good player, but didn't he himself just say that Burke's injury was a blessing in disguise, because he got a chance to sit and watch, he even says sitting and watching helped him. Jermaine O'neal was discarded after basically sitting for 4 or 5 years befor getting a chance in Indian.

Kobe didn't play behind an Allstar as far as I remember. And he played 10 maybe twelve minutes a game his first year.

As for D-Will. I never said he was happy about his benching, but in an interview he recognized it helped him, but also said he'd never forgive Sloan for the benching.

I know Stock was playing behind a good player, but didn't he himself just say that Burke's injury was a blessing in disguise, because he got a chance to sit and watch, he even says sitting and watching helped him. Jermaine O'neal was discarded after basically sitting for 4 or 5 years befor getting a chance in Indian.

Kobe game from high school. Different situation altogether.

Burks. Sucks. ***.

Put down the stat sheet and watch the game. Burks ruins the offense and can't play a lick of defense. His stats are padded from playing in junk minutes.

Burks does suck. To be honest, I haven't had time to watch games for a week or two. But info think that Jefferson sucks too. I just don't know if he sucks as bad as burks. Marvin is playing well right now, and from what I have seen is even playing a team concept kind of ball, not just contract year stuff. He seems to be the one that deserves minutes on this team, and the rest is just a crap shoot on who should play.

Gobert is being benched because the Jazz spread the floor better without him, and he hasn't established a post game. It's not always about marginal talent. The young Jazz players need to be able to run an offense in order to learn how to play.

Y'all bitch when the offense looks like **** (blame it on Corbin), and y'all bitch when Marvin and Jefferson hold it together (blame it on Corbin). Y'all bitch when Evans DNPs (blame it on Corbin), and y'all bitch when he takes 26 minutes from Gobert (blame it on Corbin).
Most important thing for Gobert is getting better through practice let him earn his minutes by good practice habbits for later in the year. Right now he should consentrate on getting better in practice and shoot tons of ft's after practice and get his reps in with the mailman.

Burks does suck. To be honest, I haven't had time to watch games for a week or two. But info think that Jefferson sucks too. I just don't know if he sucks as bad as burks. Marvin is playing well right now, and from what I have seen is even playing a team concept kind of ball, not just contract year stuff. He seems to be the one that deserves minutes on this team, and the rest is just a crap shoot on who should play.

It's not even a comparison at this point. I'd call up Josh Howard from the D-League over Alec Burks. I'd trade him for CJ Miles. There's a reason he sat behind those types of players his entire career.

But Jefferson doesn't disrupt the offense like Burke does and makes a lot less mistakes.

It's not even a comparison at this point. I'd call up Josh Howard from the D-League over Alec Burks. I'd trade him for CJ Miles. There's a reason he sat behind those types of players his entire career.

Damn. It has gotten to this point with Brandon Roy jr. Huh? Like I said, I haven't watched games for a couple weeks, and at that point, he was just starting his **** stain playing days. He must just not be a smart kid. The athleticism is there.

I get that people like gobert, but in what world is he ready to play more than about ten to fifteen minutes in an nba game? We play four on five on offense with him. Sure he can rebound and block some shots, but he is still picking up the whole team concept on offense and defense. I love gobert, but he needs lots of practice and film time.

Don't know about the others but Trey had foul truble. Two fouls in the first 5 minutes of the game, and had to sit the rest of the first quarter. If not for foul trouble Burke ends up playing over 30 minutes.

Favors had some good offense, but he really played like **** on defense. I'd like to see him get benched a game or two to send a message. 4 rebounds no blocks, and little to no help defense = him quitting. He was extremely lazy last night on defense, and that's suppose to be his strength.

Kanter just came back from a sprained ankle.

Why the hell does Burks deserve minutes, plus 24 minutes for a bench player is good.

You can't just play these guys thirty+ minutes a game when playing like **** or they will develop losing habbits and not progress messages and lessons by restricting minutes must happen. Discipline is the best way to get guys to wake up and play the right way. Do you honestly think these guys have earned the right to be playing that many minutes, playing as ****y as they are?
Okay so what has Lucas done to earn his minutes? And what did Garrett do (except outplay Lucas) to get benched? Don't try and rationalize rotations with Corbin. It can't be done. He's just an idiot who pulls rotations out of his *** for no reason.

Damn. It has gotten to this point with Brandon Roy jr. Huh? Like I said, I haven't watched games for a couple weeks, and at that point, he was just starting his **** stain playing days. He must just not be a smart kid. The athleticism is there.

I wouldn't say it's gotten this bad, he's always been this bad. He can't shoot and he can't create anything for his teammates. When he gets the ball the offense has nothing but bad options: chuck up a miss, drive spastically and hope to make a wild shot, or hold the ball and reset with the usual result being a poorly set up side pick and roll.

The kid is fine as a 9th-10th player on the bench. He has improved though and I'd rather focus on that.

I've said it for 3 years. And I still can't see it being false. Corbin is the worst coach in the league. Hell I used to think Mike Brown was worse. I'm not so sure any more.

Okay so what has Lucas done to earn his minutes? And what did Garrett do (except outplay Lucas) to get benched? Don't try and rationalize rotations with Corbin. It can't be done. He's just an idiot who pulls rotations out of his *** for no reason.

I agree with you on Lucas, I'd rather see Garrett get the minutes, but as far as The minutes Lucas got, it was only 16 and would've been 9-10 minutes had Burke not picked up two quick fouls. So I'll live with it

But agree, would rather see Garret.

Gobert is being benched because the Jazz spread the floor better without him, and he hasn't established a post game. It's not always about marginal talent. The young Jazz players need to be able to run an offense in order to learn how to play.

Y'all bitch when the offense looks like **** (blame it on Corbin), and y'all bitch when Marvin and Jefferson hold it together (blame it on Corbin). Y'all bitch when Evans DNPs (blame it on Corbin), and y'all bitch when he takes 26 minutes from Gobert (blame it on Corbin).

No wonder you keep defending Corbin, you're as dumb as he is -- this is about developing players not winning, you dimwit.

Does this guy not realize Garrett was a D-League call up? This is the same guy who was crying when Sloan played Ronnie Price and Maynor over Sundiata Gaines.

Well Part of the reason why I wanted the Core4 to play was to evaluate them as players.

It is clear to me that all of them are not as good as I thought. Favors not great offensively and gets frustrated defensively which leads to poor effort. Needs to demand the ball. Is a liable when teams have a stretch four. Plays the same position as Kanter. In the end I think the Jazz need to make a decision on which player to keep. Right now it is a toss-up between the two. I think having Favors under contract makes it easier to keep him or trade him.

Kanter- has regressed playing big minutes. He is not in great shape and he gets lost especially on defense. His lack of height, length and jumping ability is really evident when he plays center. Offensively I feel the team doesn't use him the right way and in some ways our guards (Lucas) don't look to get him the ball. He should be our first or second option on offense.

Burks - I have completely given up on him. He is a poor man's ronnie brewer. His out side shot has gotten worse and now he just forces his offense going to the rim, He gets caught up in the air a lot because he doesn't know how to play in a half court game. The main reason I've given up on him is because as a shooting guard you need to be able to shoot from outside. Beside he plays like a chicken with his head cut off. I am hoping he can be a part of a trade package to move up in the draft.

Hayward- he has proven he is around a $7-8 million player, a third option. A team would be crazy to pay him $10 million. Lately, he seems to have played even worse than that so it will be interested to see what his market is this summer, I would definitely consider trading him for a top 7 pick. Maybe we can make a trade with the Kings, Washington, Cleveland etc.

Burke- I think he should play more and he should run the offense more. Enough of the Hayward at the PG position. He needs to be coached or he needs to learn what a good shot is. He needs to go to the basket first and then start taking jumpshots. I am not against trading him either but for the right package he could be traded. I think he has the potential to be very good but not great PG in this league if he learns what is a good shot and when to pass it. I like him better in a running offense. His defense is not as bad as I thought. He will struggle with size but he works hard at it when I watch him.

Marvin Williams - has been the most impressive vet on the team. Now I don't know if this is because he is in a contract year or because he is injury free and playing his more natural position PF. The problem with Marvin is he will want to get paid and he takes away minutes from Kanter and Favors.

Evans - he continues to produce when he gets minutes. Like watching him play and think he deserves the minutes he gets. Still a tweener and probably why he gets relegated back to the bench once the roster is improved next year.

Gobert - This years Alec Burks. Last season Burks would play well then he would be benched for a few games. No reason just simply because he was a rookie. Gobert seems to be getting the same treatment. Everyone knows that Gobert is a project offensively but he is a difference maker on the defensive end. Yes he gets pushed around but he fights and scraps his way to production. The kid deserves minutes especially when the team is getting blown out or when Favors or Kanter are not getting big minutes. There is no reason why he should get DNP- Coaches decision.

Lucas III - should never play. I don't care if he makes a few shots eventually he does enough bad things to wipe out a rare hot shooting streak. Garrett should be playing over him and I can't think of any reason why he doesn't except that he is a veteran. I would rather play Clark over Lucas III.

Jefferson - I think he has done better than I thought he would. However, I think he needs to come off the bench. I think he is one of our better on the ball defenders which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement but he has shown to be the guy you want guarding the other team's player down the stretch.

The rest of the bench should never see the floor unless there is an injury. Rush has been the biggest disappointment. I think the Jazz should play him a little to up his market value and then trade him for a pick or be part of a bigger trade package.

Coach- I am not a Ty hater nor am I a supporter. I am starting to see the light regarding the complaints that many Jazz fans have against him. My biggest complaint about his rotation has to do with him playing Lucas and Gobert. His in game adjustments have been inconsistent and he still hasn't figured out how to defend the three point line. I don't think he is the right coach for the future but I am not going to thrash him and hate him just to hate him. I think he was given a bad hand from the beginning and this roster is closer to a DL roster than a contending NBA roster. Nevertheless, he hasn't always put the team in the best position to compete.

Lindsay GM - Has done a great first step clearing the roster and acquiring top draft picks. Now he needs to have the balls to make the right decisions (hard) on who to keep and who will coach this team in the future.

Last edited: