What's new

Playoff Donovan Mitchell is a Lie: Story of a Stat-Hog

Just going from memory, he has been amazing in the past. I remember being pissed we didn't load manage him, then during the playoffs we did..but too little too late. He seems different dating to a while before the playoffs to me.
I would guess Donovan has had just as many horrendous playoff games as he has good playoff games. He has been terrible in several series, and good in several series. He is undoubtably not a top shelf star.

Everyone, I’m just sitting here sipping my tea still. Donovan’s a bum in every single way at this point, including his play.
Come on, man. He isn't a bum. He is just isn't the prophet that many originally thought. Funny how the false prophet keep playing out in Utah.

Come on, man. He isn't a bum. He is just isn't the prophet that many originally thought. Funny how the false prophet keep playing out in Utah.
Truth is he is somewhere between supernova Donovan we have seen in the past two playoffs and the guy we’ve seen in n this series. There is likely something to the wrist tape that might affect his shot or he just might be regressing real hard to the mean on his percentages from the last three series.

It’s just sad that if he had played Brunson to a push that we’d be either done with the Mavs or at least up 3-2.

Nah, bum fits just fine. I’m actually very much hoping he can’t play in game 6. This team isn’t going anywhere, so I’d like to enjoy it.

I would guess Donovan has had just as many horrendous playoff games as he has good playoff games. He has been terrible in several series, and good in several series. He is undoubtably not a top shelf star.
He has really only been "terrible" in this series. Really until this point he's had one other bad run and that was his 2nd year in the league against Houston, which is understandable. Otherwise he's been a very solid playoff performer, stellar even in more than one series, and then this year is an extreme outlier.

He has really only been "terrible" in this series. Really until this point he's had one other bad run and that was his 2nd year in the league against Houston, which is understandable. Otherwise he's been a very solid playoff performer, stellar even in more than one series, and then this year is an extreme outlier.
Both Houston series were not good at all. He had a horrible game 7 against Denver and that was even in the bubble. He’s had a horrible entire series here.

Donovan would be a perfect second or third option on a championship team, he's obviously capable of being the #1 option on a playoff team but I'm not sure he'll ever reach the level of being #1 on a championship team.

Donovan would be a perfect second or third option on a championship team, he's obviously capable of being the #1 option on a playoff team but I'm not sure he'll ever reach the level of being #1 on a championship team.
On a team built like the 2000's Pistons he could be the #1, but even then he would have to play a more cerebral and efficient game than he does now. Chauncey was their best scorer, but what made him great (I think he's one of the most underrated players of all time) is that he was super efficient and had no holes in his game.

Donovan has too much hero-complex to be that in his current form and his defense is just ghastly. Still, he can go nuclear with regularity and that has value. In any case, Donovan needs an elite rim protector and a couple of big, 2-way wings that can move the ball. Problem is those players fit everywhere and everyone wants them.

The Jazz emptied their clip figuring out PG and backup center and that might just be the epitaph of all of this. For all of the moaning about Quin (enough of which is valid enough that he has to go), he has not really been given the horses to play playoff chess either. Part of that is probably his fault too, though, considering his obvious power in the organization.

Where was I? Oh, right, building a team that has a water-tight 5-man lineup. Donovan or not, that's probably the template for this team/market, and they never figured that out. And yes that is past-tense.

For all of the moaning about Quin (enough of which is valid enough that he has to go), he has not really been given the horses to play playoff chess either. Part of that is probably his fault too, though, considering his obvious power in the organization.
I liked logs observation that Quin is playing 7 dimensional connect four while everyone else is playing basketball.

But I find DL and Quin very frustrating for the same reasons. They do 85% of the stuff right. Like really, really good right. 95th percentile right. But then they just **** it on the last 15%. Like 5th percentile bad.

On a team built like the 2000's Pistons he could be the #1, but even then he would have to play a more cerebral and efficient game than he does now. Chauncey was their best scorer, but what made him great (I think he's one of the most underrated players of all time) is that he was super efficient and had no holes in his game.

Donovan has too much hero-complex to be that in his current form and his defense is just ghastly. Still, he can go nuclear with regularity and that has value. In any case, Donovan needs an elite rim protector and a couple of big, 2-way wings that can move the ball. Problem is those players fit everywhere and everyone wants them.

The Jazz emptied their clip figuring out PG and backup center and that might just be the epitaph of all of this. For all of the moaning about Quin (enough of which is valid enough that he has to go), he has not really been given the horses to play playoff chess either. Part of that is probably his fault too, though, considering his obvious power in the organization.

Where was I? Oh, right, building a team that has a water-tight 5-man lineup. Donovan or not, that's probably the template for this team/market, and they never figured that out. And yes that is past-tense.
I think Donovan could be the leading scorer for a title team but there would need to be a floor general like Chris Paul. Book is a better overall scorer and player but Donovan could have gotten where he is... and I think that is good enough. You would need really good creators/passers/floor generals at other positions with wing size or it wouldn't work.

That Pistons team had more talent than people give them credit for. Wallace was super under-rated and its mostly his fault for how he carried himself. When he was at his best he could go at the best of the two way PFs (duncan and KG). Prince was an amazing glue guy. Billups was so cerebral... Wallace was a menace. And everyone bought into their roles 1000% and played for each other. But that team oozed toughness and leadership... this team just oozes ********.

I liked logs observation that Quin is playing 7 dimensional connect four while everyone else is playing basketball.

But I find DL and Quin very frustrating for the same reasons. They do 85% of the stuff right. Like really, really good right. 95th percentile right. But then they just **** it on the last 15%. Like 5th percentile bad.
They built an amazing building and then painted it puke green and half assed the decor.

Which is ironically something you could say about Gordon Hayward too. Donovan is a still a very good player, but people only look at the raw stats like points. With him, efficicency and defense just aren't there.

Mitchell is the proverbial Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving or (healthy) Kemba Walker. He has good games and bad games. He takes a lot of difficult shots. He really needs to play with a dynamic wing or big so he doesn't have to manufacture so much of the offense.