What's new

Point Guard Situation

I agree about the sample size, but why bring up that silliness about passes failing to convert at all?

Silliness? I thought I made the point clear. There's a bunch of plays throughout the game if it goes another way if you look at the box score you say a player did a great job passing the ball. You have to watch the games to really know whether or not a player made effective passes.

The guy clearly has a problem with Burke and anything short of a 20 assist night with no turnover and he'll find something to complain about.

Read the entire post for crying out loud. I acknowledged that it was just one game and even said after tonight we could be saying an entirely different thing. smh

My point is just saying one player had X assist the other had Y therefore the player with less assist didn't move the ball well is a flawed way to judge. The fact that it's just one preseason game just made it a rush to judgment.

Last edited:
Silliness? I thought I made the point clear. There's a bunch of plays throughout the game if it goes another way if you look at the box score you say a player did a great job passing the ball. You have to watch the games to really know whether or not a player made effective passes.

The guy clearly has a problem with Burke and anything short of a 20 assist night with no turnover and he'll find something to complain about.

Yeah, I have a problem based on watching him for two years and seeing the same thing over and over. It was the same with Corbin. You can only defend someone for so long. If I saw a ray of hope I would cling to it. But Trey doesn't seem to thrive in a situation where he's supposed to run the offense. He shines only when he's the whole show. The problem is that he isn't good enough to be the whole show, and to make matters worse, he doesn't give the effort or have the mindset required to be a good defender.

Jazz are going to find some way to get Jordan Clarkson after seeing him in action. We might have to give up one of our core group, but Clarkson is a player who won't be happy either playing the 2 with Russell or coming off the bench.

he is the argument I was making to my son. burks, Hayward and favors all have to get their touches on the first team. Gobert is going to want some touches too. Neto makes a lot more sense with his pass first mentality. if Neto can hit 35% from 3 he will force people to play him instead of sagging off (heck 1 for 3 would keep them honest)

on the second unit you have hood and ..... no one really. Burke fits so much better here as a shooting pg. booker won't demand a lot of touches but will get points off his hustle. pleiss will need a few but ingles no. the line ups just make so much better sense. besides Burke SHOULD play better against second string pgs.

Luckily we have more preseason games to see what Burke and Neto do. Based on last game and the summer league games from a few years ago I would rather see Neto starting but as mentioned, we can watch more. I don't think Burke is going to be traded and if he is it's probably for a more-established PG (though I doubt this happens).

Luckily we have more preseason games to see what Burke and Neto do. Based on last game and the summer league games from a few years ago I would rather see Neto starting but as mentioned, we can watch more. I don't think Burke is going to be traded and if he is it's probably for a more-established PG (though I doubt this happens).

I think the tea leaves are there that Cotton gets cut. It doesn't look good for Cooley or Chris Johnson either. They are not getting a run. The paper also said that Jarrett is guaranteed a million this year so they might not be able to financially cut him either.

you people are disrespectful to Trey. Maybe it might do him some good to get out of that trash place called Utah. Okay I admit Utah is beautiful scenery but the people. Good lord these the people who whined about Fisher wanting his child to have good medical care. Reggie Miller called you out on it. You understand that mosty of the country think Utah is nothing but Mormons and think Mormons are crazy. Best thing about Utah is its on the way to Vegas. TRey please get the f out of SLC and go somewhere they will treat you with respect. Ofcourse pg has to shoot when youyr t starting big men are offensively challanged

you people are disrespectful to Trey. Maybe it might do him some good to get out of that trash place called Utah. Okay I admit Utah is beautiful scenery but the people. Good lord these the people who whined about Fisher wanting his child to have good medical care. Reggie Miller called you out on it. You understand that mosty of the country think Utah is nothing but Mormons and think Mormons are crazy. Best thing about Utah is its on the way to Vegas. TRey please get the f out of SLC and go somewhere they will treat you with respect. Ofcourse pg has to shoot when youyr t starting big men are offensively challanged

Trey did have quite a few subpar shooting nights last season.

I think the tea leaves are there that Cotton gets cut. It doesn't look good for Cooley or Chris Johnson either. They are not getting a run. The paper also said that Jarrett is guaranteed a million this year so they might not be able to financially cut him either.
Jerrett is a sunk cost. Are Jazz even at the salary floor? If not, that $1M doesn't matter one bit. If there's a minimum salary guy they want to keep, they'll waive him. As for Cotton, I admit I'm surprised. Hard to see Utah going with just 2 PG's unless Quin is very confident Burks can handle some minutes there, But maybe he's looking ahead to next year, too. Someone has to be released or traded when Exum comes back, Trey/Exum/Neto is already a logjam and Cotton would make four.

Jerrett is a sunk cost. Are Jazz even at the salary floor? If not, that $1M doesn't matter one bit. If there's a minimum salary guy they want to keep, they'll waive him. As for Cotton, I admit I'm surprised. Hard to see Utah going with just 2 PG's unless Quin is very confident Burks can handle some minutes there, But maybe he's looking ahead to next year, too. Someone has to be released or traded when Exum comes back, Trey/Exum/Neto is already a logjam and Cotton would make four.

We are close to the floor once we cut the roster to 15... probably there, but I would hope we wouldn't cut a useful player to save a little money on Jerretts buyout since we are likely the lowest payroll team in the league this year and were low last year (not complaining... I understand we aren't a big market).

If anything we could take one of the million second round picks we own and send to to Philly with Jerrett... Portland is another option. Both teams are below the floor I believe.

Mormons or not, I love the Jazz fans! Love the haters, love the koolaid klan, love the pink grandmas, love the crazies!

I almost feel bad about bagging on Trey, but who else am I going to rag on? Locke is all warm and fuzzy about Burke this year, hoping 'and praying' he's learned how to play within himself and be different this year. But after a 2 game, super small sample size - I'm not feeling it... One very nice quarter, then he slipped into old habits - it just wasn't good enough.

Sorry Trey, plumbers will tell you **** runs downhill, and with this team full of supper great guys, you're at the end of the row and getting more than your fair share of crap... every team needs one goat, and 50% of the Utah population is not going to make Wolfie that guy...

We wish you a great stat sheet for at least the next 3 to 4 months, then...

Oh, I almost forgot, Fisher is an @$$#@&+, it wasn't about medical care. The Jazz Mgt was way too high class and he took advantage. The Fans have it right. Torch him!

I kind of enjoyed this. Not sure why

We are close to the floor once we cut the roster to 15... probably there, but I would hope we wouldn't cut a useful player to save a little money on Jerretts buyout since we are likely the lowest payroll team in the league this year and were low last year (not complaining... I understand we aren't a big market).

If anything we could take one of the million second round picks we own and send to to Philly with Jerrett... Portland is another option. Both teams are below the floor I believe.

? Why throw away second round picks? The concept of a sunk cost... is that it's sunk. Ya know, don't throw good money after bad? Jerrett will get his mil, but we can cut him and save the spot. He can find somewhere else to play. But if we cut him, no need to waste even lower value assets.

After watching Cotton tonight, it looks like he's a goner ... notice they had Burks running the point tonight for a bit. Cotton has not improved at all. If anything he looks like he's declined. Not making good decisions with the ball, which is something he needs to do if he wants to stick in the NBA. Like someone said in the game thread, just a more active Burke. Neto is clearly the better player. Looks like PG will be our achilles heel this year.

The interesting thing about this is Fisher is showing a pattern of behavior. Partying with another man's wife. Forcing his way out of Utah and Dallas. IMO Fisher's word is getting stretched very thin. He went to LA to see his kids... but he was at Matt Barnes' estranged wife's house with Barnes' kids.

On the other half yes I think a change of scenery might be good for Trey. But where would he be a rotation PG?

LAL-Clarkson and Russell-nope
Sac- Rondo and Collision-nope
Was - Wall and Sessions-maybe but probably not
Thunder- Russell and Augustin- nope
Denver-Mudiay and Miller- Nope
Atlanta - Teague and Schroder - nope

Is there a good place in the NBA for Burke?

Maybe Chicago but I don't think they have trade assests.

The interesting thing about this is Fisher is showing a pattern of behavior. Partying with another man's wife. Forcing his way out of Utah and Dallas. IMO Fisher's word is getting stretched very thin. He went to LA to see his kids... but he was at Matt Barnes' estranged wife's house with Barnes' kids.
Not to mention that Fisher had no problem going to New York and leaving the kids in LA. After Dallas it's pretty obvious to everyone except ncoloradojazz who Fisher really is. For the record people in Utah wanted nothing but the best for Fisher's child. And who gives a rat's **** what Reggie Miller thinks.

Bill Simmons talked about what a POS Fisher was/is on his podcast today. He talked about how everyone in the NBA agrees Derek Fisher basically lied his way out of Utah.