What's new

POLL: How has COVID affected your job?

How have the COVID-19 shutdowns and subsequent impact on the economy affected your job personally?

• I already worked from home, no effect

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I already worked outside of the home, no effect

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I worked outside of the home before, but now I work from home

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I worked from home before, but now I work in a job at an office/work site

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I lost my job, and still have not been able to get a new position

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I lost my job, but have since found a new position

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
I'd believe it, one of the perks to living in the middle of nowhere I suppose

No playgrounds or boardwalk or **** like that. Still a lot to do but about half of our options are nixed. Blows. On the bright side, lots of walks with the kids. My three year old son walked 4.5 miles one day last week. 2.25 with me and the same in the evening with my wife.

My work is fundamentally mental at the moment. So more or less the same, just a different sort of mental.

I’ve been on the layoff train since the first of May. Working in the same trade for 37 years and being in my mid 50s has proven very difficult to find new work. Apply for a basic job and the application goes in the trash. Overqualified. Under qualified. Always something.

Last week I did find a job in my line of work. But it’s in Ogden, I’m in Logan. So not being able to pass up the job, I begin to seek out housing in the Ogden area. New employer contacts me today and informs me that State Farm has dropped the shop from the preferred list (Autobody Shop, I paint cars) so no more work being steered our way from State Farm. So the new job tells me this will cut the work by about 25 percent. The work was already pretty slim before this. I’d already be making less. Now it’s to the point it’s not even cost effective to take the job. I’d be upside down. Such a frustrating deal.
Somedays life just really kicks you where it hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been on the layoff train since the first of May. Working in the same trade for 37 years and being in my mid 50s has proven very difficult to find new work. Apply for a basic job and the application goes in the trash. Overqualified. Under qualified. Always something.

Last week I did find a job in my line of work. But it’s in Ogden, I’m in Logan. So not being able to pass up the job, I begin to seek out housing in the Ogden area. New employer contacts me today and informs me that State Farm has dropped the shop from the preferred list (Autobody Shop, I paint cars) so no more work being steered our way from State Farm. So the new job tells me this will cut the work by about 25 percent. The work was already pretty slim before this. I’d already be making less. Now it’s to the point it’s not even cost effective to take the job. I’d be upside down. Such a frustrating deal.

Good luck. Sounds like you deserve it.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Hang in there man, life does that yes, you are not alone in this, but there always is a reverse curve so don’t push too hard and keep fishing until you catch it.

Lessee....... Nitrogen can have a whole series of oxidative states, or valences. Like Chlorine. Nitrates are explosive if finely mixed with reduced chemical species. NO3, is nitrate. HNO3 is nitric acid and N has valence +5. It oxidizes stuff, going to a lower valence and donating ab oxygen atom to whatever it is oxidizing. Nitrous Oxide would be the next in the series, with HNO2 nitrous acid. N valence +3.

So, you sound like a smartass chemistry teacher who is picking a fight or a snickering festival.

I don't know anything. I'm an old fart almost as somnolescent as Biden, that's why I can tell you what he is.

NH3 is ammonia, one of our excretory achievements, along with urea and various other amines where nitrogen has the valence of -3. Amino acids and nucleoside compounds are vital to life as we know it. We actually invest a lot of biochemistry fighting oxidizers most of the way down our biochemical alley, but NO is one short-lived chemical useful in synapse chemistry for very short-term purposes, like the nanosecond impulse crossing a synapse.

Most of life is a fight between oxidation and reduction. A single cell bacteria or a virus is not well-equipped, has no biochemical reserves, to outlast the oxidation, lasting far less than the humancell in a surface lung membrane for example.

It can be said, with practically no caveat at all, that a nitrate in our diet is the source of every nitrogen species in the whole series, potentially. Of course not all nitrate moieties take every possible smal lstep down the slide. Sometimes an energetic bounce takes it more than one step.

So, however you wish to snicker or parse my terminology, just have fun if you must, bjut I have probably forgotten more chemistry than you could find in almost any current textbook.

The nutritional industry does a lot of loose talk with little actual knowledge.
Got it. Mixing pee with bleach will boost my sex life. @TroutBum I know that you are aware of this. What is your preferred ratio?

No playgrounds or boardwalk or **** like that. Still a lot to do but about half of our options are nixed. Blows. On the bright side, lots of walks with the kids. My three year old son walked 4.5 miles one day last week. 2.25 with me and the same in the evening with my wife.

In Cranford the playgrounds are open.

They also put the rims back up on the basketball courts. Which might have been a bit pre-mature - none of the surrounding towns have followed suit, so the basketball courts are jammed packed every night.

[thought diarrhea]Overall I think there will be a major permanent shift for white collar to at-home jobs. I don’t buy conspiracy theories if there is no solid proof. My wife thinks the pandemic is a global deconstruction of society towards a new normal. She might be right but for these types of massive judgements, I always think, how can one know? I can only assume, not actually know. People always has this weird need to know what the ****’s going on in massive scales in the world . I think we should minimize out view for happiness , our duties, our belongings for an ignorance is a bliss kind of life and stop caring too much about what goes on since we cannot control it.[/thought diarrhea]

[thought diarrhea]Overall I think there will be a major permanent shift for white collar to at-home jobs. I don’t buy conspiracy theories if there is no solid proof. My wife thinks the pandemic is a global deconstruction of society towards a new normal. She might be right but for these types of massive judgements, I always think, how can one know? I can only assume, not actually know. People always has this weird need to know what the ****’s going on in massive scales in the world . I think we should minimize out view for happiness , our duties, our belongings for an ignorance is a bliss kind of life and stop caring too much about what goes on since we cannot control it.[/thought diarrhea]
Great post

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

So here's another side effect. In no small part due to the extra $600 bucks for unemployment I can't find people who want a job. I have more than 80 open positions, paying $15.00 per hour to start, and can't get any candidates. We have started doing drive-through job fairs with hire on the spot, zoom job fairs, and are working on walk-in job fairs at a local Walmart. We get maybe 10 candidates at a time, and maybe half of them accept the job, opting to stay on unemployment. This is good for the unemployed, really crappy for those companies trying to hire.

So here's another side effect. In no small part due to the extra $600 bucks for unemployment I can't find people who want a job. I have more than 80 open positions, paying $15.00 per hour to start, and can't get any candidates. We have started doing drive-through job fairs with hire on the spot, zoom job fairs, and are working on walk-in job fairs at a local Walmart. We get maybe 10 candidates at a time, and maybe half of them accept the job, opting to stay on unemployment. This is good for the unemployed, really crappy for those companies trying to hire.
Maybe pay more?

Yeah, it seems pointless for the average person to think they know what is going to happen, and then fight to the death for their viewpoint that can't be proven anyway (COVID projections, NBA draft, NBA trades, climate change, election results, etc).

If it is your job to prepare and educated guesses are needed, that's a different story. But most of us apparently need to feel the comfort that comes from thinking we have it all figured out. How else would message boards survive?

There was a point in my life where everything was going wrong, and I mean everything. If I listed it all you wouldn't believe me. At my lowest point a friend said, "Damn, something really good must be coming your way." I told him he was an idiot, and he told me that I would eventually see the light because "these sorts of things tend to even out." Man was he ever right. My life is now amazing in every way. On top of everything else, COVID which initially killed our business has now supercharged it. We have already set our all time record for a year (after being dead in the water for nearly four months), and we still have five months to go.

So keep your chin up because something really good is headed your way.

Yeah, it seems pointless for the average person to think they know what is going to happen, and then fight to the death for their viewpoint that can't be proven anyway (COVID projections, NBA draft, NBA trades, climate change, election results, etc).

If it is your job to prepare and educated guesses are needed, that's a different story. But most of us apparently need to feel the comfort that comes from thinking we have it all figured out. How else would message boards survive?

To me most people could have the biggest relaxation and step by learning to be comfortable saying ‘I don’t know’ when they don’t. Though the effort to reach there is what keeps this alive so far and you are so right on that.

In Cranford the playgrounds are open.

They also put the rims back up on the basketball courts. Which might have been a bit pre-mature - none of the surrounding towns have followed suit, so the basketball courts are jammed packed every night.

In my town, about 500-1,000 guys showed up at some basketball courts in and the cops came to break it up. They were all packed right around the court. No masks.

Last edited:
There was a point in my life where everything was going wrong, and I mean everything. If I listed it all you wouldn't believe me. At my lowest point a friend said, "Damn, something really good must be coming your way." I told him he was an idiot, and he told me that I would eventually see the light because "these sorts of things tend to even out." Man was he ever right. My life is now amazing in every way. On top of everything else, COVID which initially killed our business has now supercharged it. We have already set our all time record for a year (after being dead in the water for nearly four months), and we still have five months to go.

So keep your chin up because something really good is headed your way.
Oh oh, **** is coming your way. Remember, things even out.